My 4th Darwin Trip

antonywardle

The start of April was the dates that I was able to head back to Darwin for my 4th Barra chasing trip. The wet season was pretty dry so I didn't have too high hopes of the run off being very good. When we arrives, there was another storm building and this meant a delay of an extra day. We drove the boats out to the mother-ship and then hooked everything up for a tow to the Moil The mother-ship was the best one I've been on (I've been on two) and being able to tow our day boats was really good. 

IMG_20190410_162123.thumb.jpg.31d1ed880b675245b6076477853c245f.jpg

It had a heap of room and the cabins each slept two people.Nice and cool with the air conditioning too.

The Moil was pretty dirty and no fresh water was running out of the creeks. We found one creek that looked promising and I managed to hook up two Barra, but dropped both of them. So that wasn't so good, particularly with how slow the action had been. Some of the other boys were catching 450's but that was about it. Next thing to try was to go crabbing. I managed a blue salmon of the back of the mother ship on a fly rod and that was used for crab bait. We did ok with the crab pots, although one got Croc'd we were able to retrieve it at low tide

Resized_20190409_171547_9898.jpeg.f4d677e8b467adb07934756f9df7aaad.jpeg

The reef fishing was a bit better than the Barra, and we were able to bag out on Golden snapper(3) on the first day. I also got a new species, a tusk fish, and that was pretty cool.  There wasn't as many tricky snapper this trip, I managed one, but I kept catching Goldies that were all returned. Managed also to get a couple of Black Jewfish which was good.  Still no Barra!

IMG_20190410_085423.jpg.e388b75cb0665ab135af1557add156d2.jpg

The scenery was pretty good. I tried a truck load of different lures, but went back to the lure that I'd hooked the two barra on and it turned out to be the right move. One cast and I thought I was stuck on the bottom, but then it started running and I was on! After a tense battle, I got a 710 mm on the boat and was very happy. I followed it up with a small 450 that was sent back to carry on swimming.

Resized_20190409_103231_5586.thumb.jpeg.e074c06b87da14fe696c5b4db3b48371.jpeg

I enjoyed the trip very much and was happy that I was able to bring back some fish and crabs. The muddies were full and a good size. All the Jennies were released, but these bucks were pretty tasty

IMG_20190413_173949.thumb.jpg.aee7f57960cb632691390b01a0f87c38.jpg

For those that want to know my tackle, the reef rod was was a 4 piece ugly-stick with a Finn Nor LT100 , with 100lb braid and a two hook 80lb paternoster rig. Squid was the bait. I lost a bit to sharks, so I don't know what else you could use to save your tackle.

I had three rods for chasing the Barra, but the one that did the damage was a three piece pflueger trion transcendent travel rod, a Finn Nor LT40 with 20lb Yellow  Rovex Braid, 40lb leader joined by an FG know and  attached with a loop knot to a Balista Juggernaut 65mm lure.  

IMG_20190414_153427.jpg.a52b5d57705a98e62ce6c0c6f561c98c.jpg

Now back and looking forward to details about next years trip. Hoping to get out in my boat this long weekend to chase a few flathead.

If you made it this far, then thanks for reading!

IMG_20190408_165427.jpg

Resized_20190410_070804_3798.jpeg

• Like 8

Sensational Anthony! There’s something pretty special about fishing the top end! Don’t know whether it’s the scenery, the fishing or the fact it’s that bloody hot you constantly need a few coldies to cool you down! Lol. 

Great report and enjoy your feed! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the nice comments guys. @Scratchie there is something exciting about the scenery and knowing that there is a big biting thing that is hanging around the back of the boat somewhere looking for an easy meal. 

@GoingFishing Croc'd is a local term for a bit crocodile has munched up the steel crab trap to get at your bait and swam off with it. We got that one back miles from where it was set, but it was stuffed, so it went on to be retired.

@LuckyFil it swims like a vibe, but it is a hard body. I just threw it out and slowly wound it in.

Every now and then I'd lift the rod and let it drop down. I think that the one that I landed, I cast it on top of its head and it just swallowed the whole thing down. The rest were just on a slow retrieve.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, antonywardle said:

@LuckyFil it swims like a vibe, but it is a hard body. I just threw it out and slowly wound it in.

Every now and then I'd lift the rod and let it drop down. I think that the one that I landed, I cast it on top of its head and it just swallowed the whole thing down. The rest were just on a slow retrieve.

Thanks for that Antony. I have one that looks a bit similar it's been in my lure box for years without much use. I think it's a Bill Lewis Rat L Trap. I'll make a point of giving it a go on the Barra when I'm in Weipa in a couple of months.

cheers

Phil

• Like 1