Shark Encounters?

James  Clain

Hey friends. I am very interested by sharks and for some trivial information I was wondering about everyones experiences and encounters they have had. What sort, where and when. Weather you were fishing, boating or swimming!

I personally potentially saw a big whaler shark go for a seal yesterday although it could have just been the seals body imitating the head of a bull shark when swimming in a circular way.

I fish and dive ( spear ) Montague island where seeing sharks is very common, whalers, hammerheads, whites and of course grey nurse. Here in the south they rarely pay us any attention apart from trying to steal the odd fish. 

Catching whalers and makos locally can be done all year, in saying that I don't personally target them. 

The sharks further north in warmer water seem to be far more common and far more turned on to stealing both hooked or speared fish. I've been in the water in the NT where I was mobbed by a large group of sharks which were trying their best at having a taste of me ( at the time there had been no killing of fish in the water to get them to the point of attack they were at ).

I often caught and released sharks while targeting jews from the shore around Sydney.

There are sharks which I don't include as sharks due to their docile nature such as port jacksons and wobby's, even though they can get a touch grumpy at times. 

• Like 1

I fish the Illawarra and have often seen Whalers Basking in the summer. We have caught a number of Makos as by catch, all under 1.5m. 

We have had a White Shark come to the back of the boat  middle of winter at Bellambi Reef when we had a tuna blood burley running. Two years later in middle of Winter I saw a White launch out of the water like shark week at Bellambi Reef. I new it was a White as was massive and had a black top half and white underside  

Seem to be plenty of sharks around. 

• Like 1

I've been hearing reports of the professional fisherman (guides, media, etc) seeing a lot more sharks in Sydney this season. While I'd seen a few here and there over the years it wasn't a huge amount considering the time I spend on or by the water (on a side note, I'm not the most observant of people at the best of times). A few weeks ago however I saw a whaler on the flats, saw two whalers the next day on the same flats and then had a small hammerhead follow my bait up while on the kayak at another Sydney location. I half wanted to catch it and half didn't want to catch it as then I would have to deal with an unhappy hammerhead close to the kayak.

On 4/16/2019 at 12:42 PM, DerekD said:

I've been hearing reports of the professional fisherman (guides, media, etc) seeing a lot more sharks in Sydney this season. While I'd seen a few here and there over the years it wasn't a huge amount considering the time I spend on or by the water (on a side note, I'm not the most observant of people at the best of times). A few weeks ago however I saw a whaler on the flats, saw two whalers the next day on the same flats and then had a small hammerhead follow my bait up while on the kayak at another Sydney location. I half wanted to catch it and half didn't want to catch it as then I would have to deal with an unhappy hammerhead close to the kayak.

Yeah sharks and kayaks don't really mix.