African Pompano caught in Sydney Harbour. (Pennant Fish)

James  Clain

Question

My friend caught a small baby African Pompano funny but I knew what it was. We released the fish after the photo and now i am also wondering if anyone els has caught these fish maybe even of a larger size? Are they rare, or rare or in Sydney? Or are they very common? 

Screenshot_2019-04-14-23-53-31-00.png

8 answers to this question

Pennant Fish ( Alectis ciliaris)

Diamond Trevally (Alectis indica)

Closely related and hard to tell apart. The best distinguishing feature for juveniles is the ventral fins which have elongated filaments in the diamond trevally, but not the pennant fish.

Also, juvenile pennant fish photos do indeed show a black spot at base of dorsal fin, but that is not mentioned in my books. I’m not sure why but I’m guessing it’s because it’s not always present - or perhaps because scientists generally don’t like to use colour as a distinguishing feature.

So its a pennant fish. Also called African pompano and many other names which you’d expect for a fish that occurs worldwide.

On whether it’s rare or not, the official range of both species is to Wollongong. Apparently juveniles ride the East Australia current down the coast in late summer and are resident in estuaries in the Sydney area, but die off as the water cools. So not rare, but not common either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, James Clain said:

My friend caught a small baby African Pompano funny but I knew what it was. We released the fish after the photo and now i am also wondering if anyone els has caught these fish maybe even of a larger size? Are they rare, or rare or in Sydney? Or are they very common? 

Screenshot_2019-04-14-23-53-31-00.png

Very hard to see from the photo but have to agree with Going Fishing