Jindabyne/Thredbo in April

savit

Hi All

I will be visiting Snowy Mountains and staying in Jindabyne soon. Might have time in early mornings  for a few short land based lure (and may be fly) fishing sessions in the lake or Thredbo river. This will be my 2nd time fishing the area.

Any suggestions re lures for trout that might work at the moment ?  I have got a bit of everything over time - just not sure what to bring and to try first.

Thanks a lot.

21 hours ago, savit said:

Hi All

I will be visiting Snowy Mountains and staying in Jindabyne soon. Might have time in early mornings  for a few short land based lure (and may be fly) fishing sessions in the lake or Thredbo river. This will be my 2nd time fishing the area.

Any suggestions re lures for trout that might work at the moment ?  I have got a bit of everything over time - just not sure what to bring and to try first.

Thanks a lot.

I am no absolute professional but I would say try a few of the more typical lures. Blades always work well so try a few if you not getting bites change colours. Or change lures to something like a Tazzie Devil. The little trout spinners also work well. I would have a look at the water and if its dark deep and murky i'd go with a small black blade lure and let it get down a little (since it will be morning the trout shouldn't be too deep). If the water is clear I would go for a more colourful lure but nothing to absurd. Just go with what you think will work, if that doesn't change and try something new. Some Powerbait might work and if you have flies and the cloud cover is good that will probably also work. 

• Like 2

If you can catch grasshoppers the day before, they make a killer bait for trout in the snowy systems. To catch them go on dusk and look for them in the dandelions/long grass (watch for snakes), they get real drowsy and sleepy, you can just grab them in your hand, get a empty peanut butter or vegemite jar with holes in the top and get as many as you can. Did this several years ago with my Uncle, dad and Pa and went up through the Gilmore, (Gilmore creek runs between the back of Batlow and Leads into the Tumut river, Near Gocup Rd is not a bad little spot times change in 10yrs though) caught several rainbow and brown trout, also an old heshan fishing bag around your shins/knees in the water keeps the trout fresh and tasty, i recommend waders as the water is bloody cold, used fairly light gear about a 2-4kg rod with light line, no sinker, casting down the river as the fish were coming up it.

Good Luck 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 10:34 AM, Squ!rt said:

If you can catch grasshoppers the day before, they make a killer bait for trout in the snowy systems. To catch them go on dusk and look for them in the dandelions/long grass (watch for snakes), they get real drowsy and sleepy, you can just grab them in your hand, get a empty peanut butter or vegemite jar with holes in the top and get as many as you can. Did this several years ago with my Uncle, dad and Pa and went up through the Gilmore, (Gilmore creek runs between the back of Batlow and Leads into the Tumut river, Near Gocup Rd is not a bad little spot times change in 10yrs though) caught several rainbow and brown trout, also an old heshan fishing bag around your shins/knees in the water keeps the trout fresh and tasty, i recommend waders as the water is bloody cold, used fairly light gear about a 2-4kg rod with light line, no sinker, casting down the river as the fish were coming up it.

Good Luck 

Thanks. Live unweighted grasshoppers used to be my #1 bait for river fishing in my other life in another hemisphere with my dad.  Used to catch them in the morning in the wet long grass and stored in the matchbox. Also, we used to pull one grasshoper leg out (may be considered a bit cruel nowadays, however efficient - they dont jump out of the box with light speed while create still a lot of fish attracting movements on the water. Dead and dried ones were not even close in efficiency.  Have not seen them in abundance in NSW. Thredbo river is closed for bait/Powerbait fishing (at least close to Jindy lake), not sure about other close rivers/creeks.

• Like 1