Fitting New Live Bait Tank Pump

Berleyguts

So, the pump for my live bait tank is RS. I picked up a new one today and am trying to figure out how to wire it up. The original well and pump was factory fitted at Stacer. I’m thinking I should just be able to replace the cartridge but the wiring is integral to the cartridge. It will be a pain in the backside to trace the wires all the way forward to the fuse box under the console. Can the wires for the new cartridge simply be spliced into the existing wires close to the pump?

Appreciate your help.

17 minutes ago, Plethora said:

Yes - just cut the two pump wires and splice in new ones - (I would solder and use heat shrink to keep moisture out) not just use crimps 

Thanks. That should make it easier. As I’m a novice at this, I might ask my neighbour over the road for help. I just found out he’s a retired auto electrician. 😎

10 minutes ago, Welster said:

I bought waterproof crimps from memory.    Did you buy a rule pump? I never had any luck with Johnson pumps.     Might be a good time to change to pressure hose as well. 

I bought another Johnson as (a) this one has served me 5 years and I think it’s gone because I’ve been running it non stop, even while underway; I think the last long trip to the FAD really put a strain on it; and (b) it would be a straightforward fit - I can simply pop the new cartridge into the existing housing. I can change the hoses down track - that’s something I think I can manage!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

I bought another Johnson as (a) this one has served me 5 years and I think it’s gone because I’ve been running it non stop, even while underway; I think the last long trip to the FAD really put a strain on it; and (b) it would be a straightforward fit - I can simply pop the new cartridge into the existing housing. I can change the hoses down track - that’s something I think I can manage!

I don’t think it matters if it’s on underway I don’t turn mine off.  

44 minutes ago, Welster said:

I don’t think it matters if it’s on underway I don’t turn mine off.  

Don’t forget... it wouldn’t have had any water running through it while underway at the time... until I modified the inlet.

5 years isn’t too bad for one of those. I think the Rules have a 5 year warranty.

It’s better not to run them dry or while underway unless it’s being fed water. I also like to give mine and the bilge pump a quick flush with fresh water while running after every trip. I had a Rule rust and seize once.

Its fine to join into the existing wires as long as the new pump is the same size or smaller. If it is bigger you will probably need thicker wires. 

I don’t know your pump location but try to make the wire join in a spot where it won’t ever get submerged in water.

4 hours ago, Hateanchors said:

5 years isn’t too bad for one of those. I think the Rules have a 5 year warranty.

It’s better not to run them dry or while underway unless it’s being fed water. I also like to give mine and the bilge pump a quick flush with fresh water while running after every trip. I had a Rule rust and seize once.

Its fine to join into the existing wires as long as the new pump is the same size or smaller. If it is bigger you will probably need thicker wires. 

I don’t know your pump location but try to make the wire join in a spot where it won’t ever get submerged in water.

The pump is inside the boat under the storage hatch near the battery. If the wire join gets submerged in water, I’m in big trouble! 😂😂😂

Well, that was a much simpler install then I expected! I was a bit wary of soldering down under the hatch as (a) I’d probably drop solder, which could lead to electrolysis; and (b) (probably the cause of A) because my hands shake a lot (too much coffee is my excuse). But I found these handy Solder Splice thingies at Bunnings. It combines the solder and heat shrink in one. Just apply heat with a butane torch (I used a propane torch) or a lighter. Voila! No mucking around with a soldering iron and a roll of solder! I fitted the new cartridge into the old housing, tested it and found the housing was leaking, so changed the housing, too. All good and ready to go! 😎

41B0717E-4D31-4A5E-8851-2F9F07CA89C7.jpeg

9936401D-00DF-4726-BD6C-92CEBBD0CBFB.jpeg

• Like 2

+1 for solder splice ... I use them all the time.  Fleabay is a good place to source them economically if you can wait to receive them. I also put some heat shrink over the top if used in a submerged location. 

Cheers Zoran

On 4/17/2019 at 7:01 PM, rickmarlin62 said:

The pickup is supposed to push water thru when underway  turn pump off  

My pick up pushes water up to the pump but it only trickles out into the bait tank because it has to go through the stationary pump which slows it down. I have to have the pump on to get a proper flow.

There wouldn’t be anything wrong with having the pump on while underway as long as it is being fed water from a pick up. 

31 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

My pickup goes thru the pump and pours into the tank that much doing 20 knots I have to close tap to reduce flow

I suppose everyone’s set up is different, but the point is it should be fine to leave the pump on while underway as long as water is getting to it. There is no need to turn it off. 

It pays to buy some good quality solder splice joiners, there is some made for marine use and are really quite cheap, there's a guy in QLD that sells them and can do smaller quantities and mixed sizes, he also sells crimps and stuff, I think he has a website, superior terminals is the name.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

My pickup goes thru the pump and pours into the tank that much doing 20 knots I have to close tap to reduce flow

I know mine now fills OK underway since I modified the pickup but I can’t really tell how much the flow is while I’m driving solo.

7 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

I know mine now fills OK underway since I modified the pickup but I can’t really tell how much the flow is while I’m driving solo.

Overflowing gave it away for me until I put some flow control in 🤣

28 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

I tested it with the hose on full flow. The outlet seemed to handle it OK.

If you still run the nozzle that squirts water into the top of the tank it is pretty restrictive even when fully open so yeah most likely wouldn’t overflow.  

• Like 1