Terez rod, rust?

Seana

Picked this Terez up new a few months ago. Had it out on my boat twice. Always rinse all my gear with fresh water. Noticed what looks like rust under the epoxy on every single guide, both top and bottom. I've read a few posts about these rods having issues in the past, but thought that had been dealt with.

Am I right in thinking this is rust? If so, how disappointing for a $250 rod...

20190417_163553.jpg

From my experience this is somewhat “normal” and unavoidable for a rod.

I think the rusty looking spots are not the actual guide rusting away, but more like metal/ rust residues on the underside of the epoxy. They are separate to the guide metal. You can see that in your picture close up. 

I rinse all rods and reels. Been doing it the same way for 32 years, I have over 25 rods and no others show the same. 

I realise I'm going to get a few comments from people about using sprays and various other protectants, but honestly that shouldn't be required except for a good periodic clean (like a couple of times a season). 

Shimano had an issue with the white terez with the metallic silver thread that causes rust and i think they were replacing those rods under warranty. Hence why all new terez now have black thread bindings.

I havnt heard anything about black terez with rust. Best bet would be contacting shimano by phone or email.

If you rinse down after every trip you shouldn't have any issues with rods that have quality components.
I used to always buy Shimano Rods but in the past 5 years have made the move to Daiwa Rods and honestly the components and blanks I've found to be of higher quality (though expect to pay a little bit more $$$). 

I've got a terez which I bough from the US before they were available here, even after washing with saltaway there is rust like this one shows, infact mine is worse ( green rod, silver bindings).

23 hours ago, Hateanchors said:

I have a range of rods Loomis, Shimano, Nitro, St Croix, Penn and Daiwa rods. They ALL have this and I rinse every time. 

Most of my much higher priced jigging master rods also look like this.

OK thanks for all the replies guys. Still under warranty, but sounds like there is little point as the same thing would happen again anyway. I find it strange that they haven't addressed this issue.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like tea staining, unsightly but wont generally affect the integrity of the stainless steel in the same way that rust will destroy coated mild steel. Common issue in the construction industry where 316 or 204 stainless is used in coastal areas. Anecdotally it seems to be getting worse over the years with a reduction in the quality of 316 on the market. Heaps of stuff on line if you do a google and have a read.

Cheers

Rich

any chance of a couple more photos of the area affected? 

Im beginning to suspect that the guide feet leading into the binding have not been given enough epoxy resulting in a cavity where water can reach the underside of the guide, pool and rust away.... This can happen on either side of the guide feet where the binding has to rise to meet the foot as its wound around the rod blank, leaving a gap between the binding and the blank. The other posibility is a lack of epoxy applied to the inside ends of the guide feet, allowing water to enter under the epoxy/feet, pooling and rusting away.

That or the manufacturer used a metal file/grinder when grinding down the guide ends leaving microscopic iron filings (or impregnating the stainless guides with the filings) and the result is the rust you see..

I must say i have built a few rods and i dont have this issue (but i do use a high viscosity epoxy which requires more coats but allows for better penetration into cavities, i take the time to ensure that epoxy wicks into the cavity between the guides and binding on my first coat. I also keep guides away from steel files and bench grinders which are not suitable for stainless.

EDIT: The epoxy should not discolour like that on its own, any discolouration in the epoxy would be uniform throughout and the discolouration would lead to yellowing rather than that characteristic rusted effect. Im guessing it has picked up the discolouration due to some oxidation occurring somewhere...

Edited by SquidMarks