Hacking. Bloody hard work!!

frankS

Went out to Port hacking to target Squid. Got on the water at 6am and headed for Jibbon point/beach got 1 cuttle fish there and that was it, headed up to SWA and got 1 squid once again a loner and a lot of hard work, from there went up to Gymea bay baths and got 1 more loner so worked my way back to the point for yet another loner.

Got the boat back on the trailer around 2pm and nackered, a hard days night for 3 lousy squid and a cuttle fish. Anyhow still had a great time on the water .

squid.thumb.jpg.145862a2ef786e2c6668ed447e09d633.jpg

Frank

Edited by frankS
add photo
  • Like 4

Hi Frank I do a bit of squid fishing land based off the rocks & have noticed that they seem to bite better during the day on the lead up to and around the new moon, whereas around the full moon period at dusk & into the night & in both situations on a rising tide low up or the last few hours before the top of the tide, around the full moon like you I get the odd one here and there after a lot of casts during the day, could be to do with getting a good feed on the lit nights, I don’t profess to be an expert as I still occasionally get donuts, I hope this helps & happy fishing 

57 minutes ago, Welster said:

Beautiful day to be on the water.  I know the feeling I always feel like I’m fishing in the wrong place or picked the wrong option.  

Frank do you ever try further out for squid?

Welster. 
Not these days, there was a place down the south coast I used to target them out about a mile from shore but don't go out through the heads these days.

Frank

23 minutes ago, 61 crusher said:

Hi Frank I do a bit of squid fishing land based off the rocks & have noticed that they seem to bite better during the day on the lead up to and around the new moon, whereas around the full moon period at dusk & into the night & in both situations on a rising tide low up or the last few hours before the top of the tide, around the full moon like you I get the odd one here and there after a lot of casts during the day, could be to do with getting a good feed on the lit nights, I don’t profess to be an expert as I still occasionally get donuts, I hope this helps & happy fishing 

Mate the ultimate time to target Squid is during the prawn runs, but these days I can't pick and choose my times or tides it's go fishing when a mate can come with me and as he is a workaholic he doesn't get much free time, so when he says lets go , we go.

Frank

18 minutes ago, frankS said:

Welster. 
Not these days, there was a place down the south coast I used to target them out about a mile from shore but don't go out through the heads these days.

Frank

Fair enough.   I haven’t tried much up the river but I do see a few arrows swimming around in the dark though. 

I have my mind set on fishing Sunday morning thinking it might be the quieter day  on the water.   The full moon isn’t usually good for me but I will probably come up with some plan and see what happens. 

Edited by Welster

or a Maybe the tide is a bit fast for the jig, put a ball sinker on the nose or a short distance from it as you may not be getting deep enough to raise any interest.

Edited by Wiry

Good to see you getting out on the water Frank. I know you still love your fishing and you need the therapy in your life. Hope you enjoy a nice feed or have some bait for the next time you head out. Cheers mate, bn

11 hours ago, Wiry said:

or a Maybe the tide is a bit fast for the jig, put a ball sinker on the nose or a short distance from it as you may not be getting deep enough to raise any interest.

At one stage I did add 3x tiny split shot to the nose of the jig to try a quicker decent, but nothing seemed to work, just 1 catch in each spot which seemed to be strange to me. Don't know what the colour is called but the TIGER orange and black seemed to attract the ones I caught, I tried several other colours but may be just coincidence but the one jig caught all 4 .

Frank

• Like 1

5 hours ago, big Neil said:

Good to see you getting out on the water Frank. I know you still love your fishing and you need the therapy in your life. Hope you enjoy a nice feed or have some bait for the next time you head out. Cheers mate, bn

Neil. I do love getting on the water and catching my targeted species is always a bonus. I would have liked a few more though. I didn't soak a bait or put on a soft plastic all day, just squid jigs which is very unusual for me. I was tempted to throw a hand line baited with something over the side and just drift it along with the flow of the boat , but resisted the temptation as this was just a squid session and I didn't want to get distracted by catching finned fish. Boy how quickly does time go by when you are out enjoying the scenery and the serenity of a great waterway. I do love the Hacking and it doesn't really matter if I catch or not. Just being on the water, I am at peace with the world. There was a couple of fools at the ramp that got my blood pressure up a bit but managed to stay calm and just bide my time.

Frank

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:40 AM, frankS said:

Boy how quickly does time go by when you are out enjoying the scenery and the serenity of a great waterway. I do love the Hacking and it doesn't really matter if I catch or not. Just being on the water, I am at peace with the world. There was a couple of fools at the ramp that got my blood pressure up a bit but managed to stay calm and just bide my time.

Frank

Know what you mean Frank. Having worked on the Hacking for 8 yrs, I also saw and dealt with hundreds of fools, tragedies and also good times every weekend, but the "maintenance" days mid week were the best :)

Edited by Killer
double post

18 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Nice report frank. Any time spent on the water is good. Better than being at work or at home.

Iv never fished the hacking but apart from Yowie I find it's a relatively hard estuary to work out !!

Sam. I have been fishing the Hacking on and off for well over 50 years and have never quiet mastered it. I have had very good days and have had no show days but never had a day on Port hacking where I have not enjoyed my time there.

It's a bit like the Hawkesbury unless you live on OR near the waterway it's hard to master.

I will keep going back there and trying, one of my favorite waterways and easy to access.

Frank

3 hours ago, Killer said:

Know what you mean Frank. Having worked on the Hacking for 8 yrs, I also saw and dealt with hundreds of fools, tragedies and also good times every weekend, but the "maintenance" days mid week were the best :)

Klaus. Wish I had your knowledge of the waterway, but then it may not be the challenge it is for me now ?.

Frank