Carp species...how widespread?

big Neil

I didn't know they were a different species, but I have caught those ones with the funny looking scales at Port Kembla in the little lagoon at Kemblawarra, they have tried all sorts of methods to get rid of the Carp, but they are still there, and it's only really a quite small area.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, noelm said:

I didn't know they were a different species, but I have caught those ones with the funny looking scales at Port Kembla in the little lagoon at Kemblawarra, they have tried all sorts of methods to get rid of the Carp, but they are still there, and it's only really a quite small area.

You talking about the coomaditchie lagoon thing 

Yep, fished there hundreds of times, Park your car on the road, and walk around to the southern side, I use corn for bait, there is plenty in there, and lots of big Mussel kind of things, but I wouldn't  try eating them out of Coomaditchie

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 7:41 PM, 61 crusher said:

Upper parramatta river behind the new footy stadium used to see course fishermen get big ones 10 kg+, there also in the lake (pond) in centennial park at Homebush 

This is true I used to fish for them at these places 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Can you use them for bait?

Maybe the heads for lobster and crabs pots and using the meat as fish strips for fishing...?

would like to know so If I catch any I will use them as bait.

Its illegal to throw them back in the water anyway...

Oz. 

11 hours ago, Oz98 said:

Can you use them for bait?

Maybe the heads for lobster and crabs pots and using the meat as fish strips for fishing...?

would like to know so If I catch any I will use them as bait.

Its illegal to throw them back in the water anyway...

Oz. 

G'day Oz. Carp... I have heard that they make good baits for Snapper. Some people use them for baiting yabbie nets. bn

• Like 1

On 7/25/2019 at 5:24 AM, big Neil said:

G'day Oz. Carp... I have heard that they make good baits for Snapper. Some people use them for baiting yabbie nets. bn

Hiya Neil that’s great to hear and thanks for confirming.

I think it will be of good use for carp to be used that way! 

If I catch any I’ll definitely prepare them for bait. 

Cheers, Oz.

Edited by Oz98

Yep, know some blokes that do use them for snapper. Reckon they soak them in some Tuna oil before the trip. We have those mirror things here in Vic. Funnily some places carp thrive here and others they dont. Guess some places suit them more than others. They seem to be more abundant in the murkier water places. Still get them elsewhere but not like the murky areas. That's just my experience anyway down here.  

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, bluefin said:

When I catch the carpet in my boat, which is Often, I always release it !! 😉 Carp I always thought were illegal to release .

Howard >

F me I was thinking what is this guy smoking when your talking about carpet hahahaha sorry my F up lol

• Like 1

14 hours ago, marks1984 said:

Gday all just want to know is it still illegal to catch and release carp in NSW

13 hours ago, bluefin said:

When I catch the carpet in my boat, which is Often, I always release it !! 😉 Carp I always thought were illegal to release .

Howard >

It is actually NOT ILLEGAL to release Carp back into the water where they are caught. HOWEVER. It is strongly recommended that they be dispatched humanely as they are considered to be "a noxious pest". Nobody can force you to kill something if your beliefs are against such action. 

Any Carp which are unluckily caught by me are dispatched. bn

• Like 2

3 hours ago, big Neil said:

It is actually NOT ILLEGAL to release Carp back into the water where they are caught. HOWEVER. It is strongly recommended that they be dispatched humanely as they are considered to be "a noxious pest". Nobody can force you to kill something if your beliefs are against such action. 

Any Carp which are unluckily caught by me are dispatched. bn

fair enough these carp are caught in a smallish dam and something that  would like to take my son to in the afternoons after school have a bit fun catching them and releasing you know what I mean

Carp have done a HUGE amount of damage to the Murrary River/Darling River system and you wouldnt wish that on any susceptible  rivers... dont return them!

In SA it is not permitted to return them...

https://pir.sa.gov.au/biosecurity/aquatics/aquatic_pests/search_aquatic_pest_species/european_carp

Edited by dmck
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, marks1984 said:

fair enough these carp are caught in a smallish dam and something that  would like to take my son to in the afternoons after school have a bit fun catching them and releasing you know what I mean

GRANDKIDS! Here's a bit of a funny yarn. I took a couple of the daughters kids out fishing for Carp at the local creek. The first (and subsequent ones) were despatched by a swift blow from a hammer which I take for that purpose.

Some months later the daughter was holidaying at the coast and surprised the kids by offering to take them fishing.

Young James says "but Mum we can't go fishing, we didn't bring the hammer".

The things they remember! bn

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, big Neil said:

GRANDKIDS! Here's a bit of a funny yarn. I took a couple of the daughters kids out fishing for Carp at the local creek. The first (and subsequent ones) were despatched by a swift blow from a hammer which I take for that purpose.

Some months later the daughter was holidaying at the coast and surprised the kids by offering to take them fishing.

Young James says "but Mum we can't go fishing, we didn't bring the hammer".

The things they remember! bn

Ha ha! Reminds of the time I fished on a charter on Sydney Harbour. My son was about 8 and had been watching the skipper despatched fish with the priest. He decided he wanted to have a go and proceeded to bash everything on the head. Kingfish, tailor, bonito, pilchards, white bait... all egged on by the skipper! What a mess his clothes were in at the end of the day!

• Haha 2