Lack of Baitfish

rozza_b

Hey all,

Wondering if anyone else has noticed a dramatic drop in the amount of bait to be found over the last 2 weeks. Im from southern illawarra and fish out of the boat of a morning mainly and its been a serious struggle to get live bait for the last 2-3 weeks and when i do its only been yakkas not a slimey to be seen, been talking to all my other local mates that fish and they seem to be finding the same results, so just wondering if anyone else has noticed this and if they have any idea why ? I havent noticed any real change in water or any weather events to trigger this is just seems the bait is gone, very very unusual and the first time i have ever seen it like this

Up until about 4 weeks ago you could have done walked on the slimies in Botany Bay and then all of a sudden they were gone . Still plenty of yakkas where I normally pick up my lives but no slimies.

i thought it strange that they would disappear that quick.

There are a lot of rat kings in the bay maybe that is the answer hard to know.

On 4/20/2019 at 8:24 AM, the skipper said:

Up until about 4 weeks ago you could have done walked on the slimies in Botany Bay and then all of a sudden they were gone . Still plenty of yakkas where I normally pick up my lives but no slimies.

i thought it strange that they would disappear that quick.

There are a lot of rat kings in the bay maybe that is the answer hard to know.

Yeah its exactly the same down here still yakkas to be found although but the slimies have all but gone, so strange that they shutdown like that. 

I did pick up a few yesterday but still nothing like it was before 

On 4/20/2019 at 7:28 AM, Scratchie said:

The bait up this way (port stephens) is that thick it’s out of control. 

Not familiar with the area but try any headland or rocky outcrop and burley up! You should find some!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Yeah thats what it was like down here 3 or so weeks ago but its all disappeared from my area at least, even managed to empty my freezer of all my burley for bait haha