I broke my Bollard... what do i do now ???

Ojay Samson

Hi All, 
so the most random and at the time mildly upsetting thing happened, got to foreshore ramp on good friday for a fish and as we were prepping the boat the 2IC calls me over and tells me to look at something.... 
the cross bollard for my anchor rope tie down is lying on the bow of the boat perfectly sheared off....
I have no idea what happened to it or why it even broke as i even took a photo of it from the last time we used the boat where i had blue swimmer crabs all lined up perfectly  in front of it.

I am at a loss a what to do about this now as i have no idea how to fix this... does anyone have any suggestions on what i can do? at the moment we were just tying the anchor rope to the hand rail at the bow.... less than ideal but didn't want to call off a fishing trip when we were practically on the slipway for that.

Whats my best course of action for fixing this? Ideally i would like to just by a new alloy cross bollard and weld that on as a direct replacement but i don't have the tools or skills for welding, so would buying a stainless  steel cross bollard work and just bolt that on top of the old alloy bollards base plate? angle grinding it down to make a flat surface...or hope to anyway?
now that im typing this out, it sure sounds sketchy and potentially frustrating to make something a flat surface for mounting something else... 

Open to any advice or suggestions :) 

Cheers,
Ojay

resize 1.jpg

resize 2.jpg

resize 3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That's not good ojay.

Cant help as I don't know enough about the subject but looking at it it looks like its cast to me, I would have though a stainless version would be the choice for such a piece of apparatus that takes a fair bit of weight, then again it may react with the hull?

Im sure someone will chime in soon with the right answer.

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

That's not good ojay.

Cant help as I don't know enough about the subject but looking at it it looks like its cast to me, I would have though a stainless version would be the choice for such a piece of apparatus that takes a fair bit of weight, then again it may react with the hull?

Im sure someone will chime in soon with the right answer.

Hey mate,i put on the exact same bollard on the bow of my tinny before i put the bow roller on.

I drilled 4 holes in the corners of the bollard and through the bow bolting it on with 6mm stainless bolts,spring washers and nuts using an alloy plate underneath and sealing all bolts.

On yours i would just file the small part of the broken post flat with the base and put the new one directly on top like above if you dont want to grind/weld new one on.

• Thanks 1

I used to have a new old alloy bollard here somewhere, if you want to grind that one off, and burn the paint getting a new one welded on I can look for it for you, or, you could just bolt another one on.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

Hey mate,i put on the exact same bollard on the bow of my tinny before i put the bow roller on.

I drilled 4 holes in the corners of the bollard and through the bow bolting it on with 6mm stainless bolts,spring washers and nuts using an alloy plate underneath and sealing all bolts.

On yours i would just file the small part of the broken post flat with the base and put the new one directly on top like above if you dont want to grind/weld new one on.

Here's what i did mate before i put my own bow roller on.

post-20199-0-32108100-1420881227.jpg

• Like 1

First try and get your head under front deck and see how it is attached.  With luck it will be bolted on and you can unscrew and remove damaged one and replace.  If you can remove old one, look at options for replacement.  I have a split bollard that locks on chain and I love it.  Ron 

• Like 1

Ollie. give me a couple of days to see if I can make a suitable ( but stronger ) one for you. You know where I live and you would need to bring the boat to me. I can either weld it where your existing one is or we could make one with a base plate and you could bolt it on . Have plate under bow for strength. If welded the paint around the weld would need to be re-done. 

Frank

• Like 2

Ollie. I have an extra heavy duty plastic bollard here that would be better than the cast alloy ones, we can make base plate for added strength ( under deck ) and bolt it on. I guarantee you would be happy with it.

Come see me.

Frank

17 hours ago, frankS said:

Ollie. give me a couple of days to see if I can make a suitable ( but stronger ) one for you. You know where I live and you would need to bring the boat to me. I can either weld it where your existing one is or we could make one with a base plate and you could bolt it on . Have plate under bow for strength. If welded the paint around the weld would need to be re-done. 

Frank

3 hours ago, frankS said:

Ollie. I have an extra heavy duty plastic bollard here that would be better than the cast alloy ones, we can make base plate for added strength ( under deck ) and bolt it on. I guarantee you would be happy with it.

Come see me.

Frank

Hey Frank, thanks I just saw your messages recently, i just came from the local chandlery and bought some hardware, however i think there are some problems like usual with simple installs when it comes to me haha, when are you free? i tried calling you earlier on your mobile but went to voicemail. Let me know when you're next free and i'll swing the boat around and get your opinion on the matter. 
ps this is what i ended up getting ... just not sure now on the mounting of it as original location is in a terrible spot underneath with reinforcing cross members directly underneath where i would be drilling the hew holes to mount this bloody thing...

r1.jpg

r2.jpg

r3.jpg

21 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Thanks for the info and pics to visualise what i should do to. I want to go down the nut and bolt path and get a SS which can hold chain in between

21 hours ago, noelm said:

I used to have a new old alloy bollard here somewhere, if you want to grind that one off, and burn the paint getting a new one welded on I can look for it for you, or, you could just bolt another one on.

Thank you very much for the offer. After the whole burning paint and repainting after rewelding install, thats to much extra effort for my linking i think and  i will try going down the nut and bolt path.

18 hours ago, campr said:

First try and get your head under front deck and see how it is attached.  With luck it will be bolted on and you can unscrew and remove damaged one and replace.  If you can remove old one, look at options for replacement.  I have a split bollard that locks on chain and I love it.  Ron 

I should have looked underneath as you suggested before buying hardware, the original is welded on so i have nothing to unbolt  and will need to remount somewhere else or try figure out a way of getting around the cross member which is directly underneath the original bollards base plate.
I went and got the split bollard like you as i to want to lock the chain when needed and seems like a nice upgrade to the standard aluminium alloy bollard which i had originally.
i get my anchcor stuck quite often and with the amount of pressure i put on the original bollard at times, i am not surprised it finally gave way, so the SS cross bollard seems like a good upgrade, just still not to convinced about the nuts and bolts that will hold this in place... the gauge seems a bit to small however i guess they are more than adequate seeing as that's what the manufacturer intended. 

Thanks to everyone for their replies and suggestions, it certainly helped me out in deciding what i wanted to do, now comes the hard part of executing it.

Mate I,m sure we can get around the rib on the underside of the bow some how. Sorry my phone was in the house and I was down the shed all day.

I am home pretty well all the time so whenever you have a few hours let me know and I will get ready for you.

Frank

14 hours ago, frankS said:

Mate I,m sure we can get around the rib on the underside of the bow some how. Sorry my phone was in the house and I was down the shed all day.

I am home pretty well all the time so whenever you have a few hours let me know and I will get ready for you.

Pm sent

20 hours ago, Ojay Samson said:

Thanks for the info and pics to visualise what i should do to. I want to go down the nut and bolt path and get a SS which can hold chain in between

Thank you very much for the offer. After the whole burning paint and repainting after rewelding install, thats to much extra effort for my linking i think and  i will try going down the nut and bolt path.

I should have looked underneath as you suggested before buying hardware, the original is welded on so i have nothing to unbolt  and will need to remount somewhere else or try figure out a way of getting around the cross member which is directly underneath the original bollards base plate.
I went and got the split bollard like you as i to want to lock the chain when needed and seems like a nice upgrade to the standard aluminium alloy bollard which i had originally.
i get my anchcor stuck quite often and with the amount of pressure i put on the original bollard at times, i am not surprised it finally gave way, so the SS cross bollard seems like a good upgrade, just still not to convinced about the nuts and bolts that will hold this in place... the gauge seems a bit to small however i guess they are more than adequate seeing as that's what the manufacturer intended. 

Thanks to everyone for their replies and suggestions, it certainly helped me out in deciding what i wanted to do, now comes the hard part of executing it.

The front deck will break before those bolts and bollard give up!

• Haha 1

similiar thing happened to my mates boat years ago, similar setup in terms of welded to the hull, we ground down the original with grinder, taped up all around it so no burn marks to the paint, and fitted a bolt up one, still on the boat now.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, noelm said:

The front deck will break before those bolts and bollard give up!

Thanks, that has surprisingly reassured me.  Feeling confident now the nut & bolt job should be fine

1 hour ago, Squ!rt said:

similiar thing happened to my mates boat years ago, similar setup in terms of welded to the hull, we ground down the original with grinder, taped up all around it so no burn marks to the paint, and fitted a bolt up one, still on the boat now.

Sweet as... I'm fairly sure this is the same path I will be taking. 

Also just 1 more question to anyone that knows but the new split cross bollard design had a clearly slightly raked back design and 1 side of the cross has these distinct raised edges.... indicating to.me it's supposed to be mounted in a specific way... does anyone know which ways supposed to face forward? For reference on my 3rd picture you can see the tapered edge on the horizontal part of the cross and in the 1st photo the bollard is leaning from right to left. Sorry for the tedious questions, I just don't want to mount it up on the day and turns out someone who actually knows the proper way to mount it later down the track  informs me that its the wrong way around haha

I would say the way it is in the photo is, as the camera is the front of the boat. This would alloy the rope to lay in a slightly downward position as it goes through your bow roller and into the water and the bulk of the rope would be toward the rear of the bollard. Will explain it better when you get here.

Frank