Port Stephens winter reds- whose interested?

Scratchie

Sorry @Scratchie I posted this yesterday but it didn’t appear. 

I see lots of people have answered the survey and added that they want Fishraider Socials again - fantastic!

We held many fishraider fishing weekends, workshops etc over the years. They were hugely successful and we often had 50 - 100 plus people attend. The sponsors donated wonderful prizes. 

The legendary Fishraider Hairtail weekend each year was always memorable (I miss that social @Scratchie )

We organised merchandise and fed people all day for free with bacon and egg rolls, soft drinks and coffee and tea. I had a crew of cooks, helpers and of course our mods. 

My point is that a fair bit of planning went into these events. I emailed local councils and got ranger permits to have large groups in areas. The permits were costly depending on what council. I had to do site inspections to ensure there were facilities with disabled access. Was there enough parking, was it safe? If someone was injured or some catastrophic event occurred who was at fault - Fishraider owner?

Providing food for crowds needs special permits too these days. It has nothing to do with site rules. 

As you all are aware Stewy and I no longer own fishraider. I am the Community Manager. I will have a chat with Jeff and speak with Mike (owner) to see the best way to proceed. 

It is really great that raiders still want to have socials and meet up. Official or not as Jeff says just keep it simple and go fishing ;)

Cheers Donna

• Like 5

@mrsswordfisherman

The enormity of what you and Stewy created on this site will never be forgotten! The community and social aspect is why Fishraider has outlasted all others. 

The socials over the years will always hold fond memories for me and my family as we attended many especially the hairtail social on the Hawkesbury where I would spend 3 or 4 days fishing and sleeping on my little boat with my kids and using your mothership to freshen up and get a much needed coffee! We still talk about those times and plan to do a trip like that this year too! 

This “catch up” is just that and I’m blown away by the response It has received. 

It should be a great weekend to all that attend and it Is my intention to keep it as simple as possible! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Looking forward to it jeff  hopefully the weather gods will be kind  and we can get a few of the guys onto some fish

Me too Rick! Hopefully a slight 1.1m southerly swell with a 4-5knot westerly wind please! 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

• Like 3

Well as if I don't have enough gear I couldn't help myself & in anticipation of the trip I ordered myself a new outfit today. 

While I do love having quality equipment I am also about fitting all my many pursuits into the budget so nothing to exxy but still think it will be something I can use for a few applications including those decent snaps I hope we encounter. 

Anyway about to start spooling up, go through all my tackle, going over my knot tying & try to get all I want to take for the weekend into the one tackle box which could be a mission 😅 😁🤣

Could it be a bit to early to start getting ready :whistling: :lol:

• Haha 1

Guest Guest123456789
On 4/21/2019 at 6:55 PM, 61 crusher said:

Sounds good, if I can get a leave pass from the 1IC I’ll definitely be on board 

Dieter if you’re going up I can come with you if you have a spare spot in car/boat. Let me know mate as I’ll have to plan with wife and work. Cheers, Luke

7 minutes ago, Quaylebird said:

I would been keen pending on dates would have to maybe see if I can get a ride with some one in there boat willing to chip in fuel and beers as never fished for snapper but would be keen 

Read through the thread, the dates are posted. 

Someone may have a spare spot! 

On 5/17/2019 at 8:18 AM, flatheadluke said:

Dieter if you’re going up I can come with you if you have a spare spot in car/boat. Let me know mate as I’ll have to plan with wife and work. Cheers, Luke

No problem Luke as far as the car, I’m waiting for a friend to get a green light, if he is a no show your more than welcome to jump on board, I’ll probably be heading up on Friday after lunch ahead of the peak hour traffic 

55 minutes ago, Welster said:

Hey @Scratchie  I searched through the boat ramp section and couldn’t find anything on the little beach ramp.   

Can you you let us know what’s it like and is there plenty of parking?

It’s a 4 lane ramp and there’s plenty of trailer parking, particularly in off peak times. If the sand has built up and not been cleared by council, it can get a bit tricky at dead low. I haven’t been down to check it for a while now but it was fine when I used it just before Easter. No doubt, Scratchie will advise as he uses it a lot more than me. I often use Soldiers Point ramp as I live midway between both and SP has two pontoons which make it easier (and drier 😂) when launching solo. At Little Beach, I have to pull the boat up on the beach, if I don’t have crew to drive the boat or park the car. Of course, it is a longer run to the heads from SP. Hope that helps.

On 5/7/2019 at 11:19 AM, frankS said:

Looks like I also will be needing a ride on a boat, circumstances arise that I won't be bringing a boat with me.

Frank

Frank, I have room for one on my boat mate so more than welcome to jump on with me old mate if you'd like. 

If Frank has teed something up in the meantime and doesn't require a ride I'll have a spare spot maybe 2 if my Son doesn't come along which could be a possibility... will post as soon as I know

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

It’s a 4 lane ramp and there’s plenty of trailer parking, particularly in off peak times. If the sand has built up and not been cleared by council, it can get a bit tricky at dead low. I haven’t been down to check it for a while now but it was fine when I used it just before Easter. No doubt, Scratchie will advise as he uses it a lot more than me. I often use Soldiers Point ramp as I live midway between both and SP has two pontoons which make it easier (and drier 😂) when launching solo. At Little Beach, I have to pull the boat up on the beach, if I don’t have crew to drive the boat or park the car. Of course, it is a longer run to the heads from SP. Hope that helps.

Thank you the ramp sounds good. 

I considered staying at SP as a mate has a unit there, but little beach looks easier. 

31 minutes ago, garfield28 said:

Frank, I have room for one on my boat mate so more than welcome to jump on with me old mate if you'd like. 

If Frank has teed something up in the meantime and doesn't require a ride I'll have a spare spot maybe 2 if my Son doesn't come along which could be a possibility... will post as soon as I know

Geoff. I would be happy to jump in your boat with you and share costs mate. I will try and catch a load of Slimies before the event and salt them down so we can have lots of bait. I only intend to fish on the Saturday IF that is OK with you ?. Will attend the 10am BBQ Sunday Morn and drive home after that.

We will all have to have a meeting Saturday afternoon as planned by Scratchie so we can decide on who get's the prizes.

Thanks so much for the offer of the ride and I'm sure we will be OK as a team.

Frank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frankS said:

Geoff. I would be happy to jump in your boat with you and share costs mate. I will try and catch a load of Slimies before the event and salt them down so we can have lots of bait. I only intend to fish on the Saturday IF that is OK with you ?. Will attend the 10am BBQ Sunday Morn and drive home after that.

We will all have to have a meeting Saturday afternoon as planned by Scratchie so we can decide on who get's the prizes.

Thanks so much for the offer of the ride and I'm sure we will be OK as a team.

Frank

Frank, Geoff is a top shelf bloke and you will enjoy your day on the water with him. A real larrikin and I hope he can find you some fish! If not, you’ll at least have a good laugh! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 1

Hi Scratchie, after such an epic week of fishing I hope your settling back into normal life ok 😁

So cant sleep & my mind turns to tackle(like it probably does for most fisho's 😅) & was wanting to pick your brain as even though jokingly previously mentioned I am actually getting rigs ties now when I get time, Im one of those type that don't like to leave things to the last minute & do things when I have time so I am not rushed.

So can I ask what is your usual line/leader/class/weight for the Broughton area.

Do you use fluro for leader or something more abrasive resistant??

Main line braid or mono??

My new rods arrived Friday & my reel arrives today & as I am off today I want to spool it up.

The package came with 300mtrs of 30lb Diawa J braid & was intending of using it, do you think that's to heavy? Although I also want to be able to use it for other species like medium sized kings or long tail so figure 30lb would be minimum for that?

I must admit I normally use 20lb for general bottom bashing but I have seen some of those beasts you, woodsy & rick have caught up there so don't think 20lb is enough??

I am also throwing in my Monster Mesh & Sealine bull with 50lb in case we come across or go to some areas that their might be some larger winter kings.

3 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Hi Scratchie, after such an epic week of fishing I hope your settling back into normal life ok 😁

So cant sleep & my mind turns to tackle(like it probably does for most fisho's 😅) & was wanting to pick your brain as even though jokingly previously mentioned I am actually getting rigs ties now when I get time, Im one of those type that don't like to leave things to the last minute & do things when I have time so I am not rushed.

So can I ask what is your usual line/leader/class/weight for the Broughton area.

Do you use fluro for leader or something more abrasive resistant??

Main line braid or mono??

My new rods arrived Friday & my reel arrives today & as I am off today I want to spool it up.

The package came with 300mtrs of 30lb Diawa J braid & was intending of using it, do you think that's to heavy? Although I also want to be able to use it for other species like medium sized kings or long tail so figure 30lb would be minimum for that?

I must admit I normally use 20lb for general bottom bashing but I have seen some of those beasts you, woodsy & rick have caught up there so don't think 20lb is enough??

I am also throwing in my Monster Mesh & Sealine bull with 50lb in case we come across or go to some areas that their might be some larger winter kings.

We use 20lb braid mainline and 20lb fluorocarbon leader when throwing sps. During winter you can up the leader to 30lb but even then you win some and lose some. So we generally stick to 20lb. 

As rick said for kings it’s lottery! 

Sometimes if the fish ain’t biting I’ll drop my leader size to 15 or 10lb just to entice the bite. 

This will all depend on current, bait, structure and the area I fish! So it’s more of a constant of knowing your surroundings. 

Motto: “just keep casting”

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scratchie said:

We use 20lb braid mainline and 20lb fluorocarbon leader when throwing sps. During winter you can up the leader to 30lb but even then you win some and lose some. So we generally stick to 20lb. 

As rick said for kings it’s lottery! 

Sometimes if the fish ain’t biting I’ll drop my leader size to 15 or 10lb just to entice the bite. 

This will all depend on current, bait, structure and the area I fish! So it’s more of a constant of knowing your surroundings. 

Motto: “just keep casting”

Cheers scratchie!!! 

What kind and size of SPs are generally the go?   I haven’t used SPs on snapper but I’m keen to give it a crack. 

1 hour ago, Welster said:

What kind and size of SPs are generally the go?   I haven’t used SPs on snapper but I’m keen to give it a crack. 

I use a 1/4oz 5/0 jig and pair it with a 7inch shad or 5 inch shad as the sun gets higher. 

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

I use a 1/4oz 5/0 jig and pair it with a 7inch shad or 5 inch shad as the sun gets higher. 

Thanks Scratchie much appreciated.  

Edited by Welster
Auto correct scratchiest 😂
  • Haha 1

UPDATE:

So today I’ve spent some time running around checking locations, speaking to fisheries and local tackle stores. 

I have acquired all the maps needed for the area, some stickers from fisheries as well as some local information on boating and fishing the area. I’ve also secured a 10% discount on any bait purchased at the local tackle store if you announce you are a “fishraider”. 

I am now working on mapping out areas that are likely to produce different species and will try to apply these to a map with gps marks. 

There will be two maps: one for the bay and one for offshore including Broughton Island. That way if you are not comfortable fishing in the open ocean or the weather is not conducive,  you can still target some decent fish. 

More updates to follow......

•  
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3