Jew

Kingyjohn

Hey fellas so recently I’ve got my first decent jewie and went out on another Sesh and got an 80 cm Jew and released it and then the bite shut of completely for the rest of the night do any of you boys have a theory that they get scared of once a fish is released back to the spot ?

• Like 1

I have noticed that with Jewies. If you lose or release one i think they take of scared and the school spooks and follows them. It's a bit hard in the boat because you're anchored up and don't want to move, but off the beach we run 100m up the beach to the next gutter to release them. Guys drifting and lure fishing often drive away from where they are catching them to release the fish.

They spook very easily.

I haven't noticed alot of issues with releasing other fish like bream, rays, salmon, etc that you catch as bycatch affecting the jewies, just fish from their own school or similar large fish. Similarly I wouldn't advise releasing bream, trevally etc if you are fishing for bream and trevally, i think the tournament guys will often keep the unwanted bream/fish in a seperate live well until they have finished fishing a spot and let them go when they leave the spot.

Last 2 sessions i have targeted jew, my mate and i have caught 3 or 4 on each occasion.  All anchored up and with bait.  All released.  

I dont think they spook any others around if you release them.  

On 4/22/2019 at 10:31 AM, Kingyjohn said:

Hey fellas so recently I’ve got my first decent jewie and went out on another Sesh and got an 80 cm Jew and released it and then the bite shut of completely for the rest of the night do any of you boys have a theory that they get scared of once a fish is released back to the spot ?

Definitely, they are a very easily spooked fish. Once a recently hooked fish rejoins a school it can certainly shut them down. That said it depends a little on the spot. In still water areas its a much more likely to turn them off than say fishing the surf zones where there is enough other disturbance going on.

Rich

Touch wood guys....i havn't really found this to be true.  Most of mine are caught on the Georges River, we all know how busy that place gets and the noise from all the other boat traffic.  NYE just passed, i had the water police right next to me, checking safety equipment and licence, with their engines running and I hooked up.  Luckily on the other side of the boat to where they were.  They were quite impressed with the fish.  Released that one and caught a further 2 within 2 hours before I called it quits.  I was more or less under CC bridge from 10pm to about 2 am.