Just in case you were wondering where I had gone...

fragmeister

Hi Raiders, 

Have been AWOL for a while so I haven’t posted any thing. 

Those who know me also know that things get a bit hectic at work sometimes so I often go missing for weeks so thanks to those Raiders who sent a PM to see where I was.

Well, fact of the matter is I have some new hardware in my foot after a soccer injury and I am looking down the barrel of 6 months before I am out plaster and a moon boot. No fishing fo me for a while I guess.

BDED8C1B-F2C2-442B-B234-44BCE0F68A01.thumb.jpeg.621e34b39aa6af9bd68f76643e5207d4.jpeg

I look forward to reading all your posts until I am back on my feet.

Cheers 

Jim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, noelm said:

Looks like it was fixed with a nail gun.

Looks fairly brutal doesn’t it.  

I think the surgeon ducked into Bunnings on the way to theatre.  

I hope he used stainless screws and some Tefgel. 

• Like 1

Thanks Donna. 

Yes, it’s a real shock to the system being so immobilised. 

My wife picked it though. She was always more concerned about how it would effect my mood being stuck in the house for months. 

I have crutches ( dangerous bloody things they are) an  I-Walk 2 which is like a peg leg thing that straps to your bent leg (you are probably aware of those) it’s pretty handy for getting around and freeing up your hands - even managed to make dinner last night.  My knee scooter arrives today... I think that will work the best and should get me up and about.

One of the most surprising things was when they told me I would have to self inject anticoagulants for 6 weeks. I don’t like needles much but I have rapidly become desensitised to giving myself the jab every day.

Anyway.. it’s all good... 

cheers

jim

5 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Probably the only time a soccer wasn't faking it 🤣

A speedy recover to you, but you can wear a moon boot & fish, just saying 🙄

Lol, 

Yep, no faking this time!

Didn’t even get a free kick for it,

Jim. That looks nasty, sure would be uncomfortable climbing in and out of a boat, only good thing about it is after 6 months the wife will be well and truly sick of you hanging around the house and may even encourage you to GET OUT and go fishing!!!.

It will go by quickly.

Frank

• Like 2

Welcome back, Jim! Wishing you a speedy recovery! Nothing like a stainless steel screw or two in a limb! I remember the one in my AC joint (shoulder) from an Over 35s soccer game all too well! I was glad to get that screw out after 6 months and get some mobility back but the movement will never be the same! On a positive note... I wonder what you can bring through the metal detector at the airport??? 😂

13 hours ago, fragmeister said:

I think the surgeon ducked into Bunnings on the way to theatre.  

I hope he used stainless screws and some Tefgel. 

Mate, medical costs these days, and government funding 'n all ... I doubt it.

Probably more likely from the Masters closing down sale. 🙄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fragmeister said:

My wife picked it though. She was always more concerned about how it would effect my mood being stuck in the house for months.

I reckon this is the most under rated issue, especially for active blokes. Doctors don't seem to even consider the impact, so it's left to family and friends to realise, react and take action. So, mate, here's a few ideas for you:

• do the long over due maintenance on all your fishing reels.
  • sort out all your tackle.
  • make up a heap of rigs for all your fishing needs.
  • replace or repair all the worn runners on your rods.
  • clean out, sort out, the 'bait' freezer.

I'm sure all ya mates will be happy to give you their reels and gear to sort out too. 🙄

Perhaps you can start taking rig making requests? 😲

Ouch!! I gave up soccer at 45 because of the recovery time from sprains & knocks from the young blokes, I wish you luck with a pain free recovery, damn 6 months is along time, but as they say where there’s a will there’s a way, hopefully you’ll have a rod in hand soon

Just now, frankS said:

Jim. That looks nasty, sure would be uncomfortable climbing in and out of a boat, only good thing about it is after 6 months the wife will be well and truly sick of you hanging around the house and may even encourage you to GET OUT and go fishing!!!.

It will go by quickly.

Frank

Aint that the truth!

Just now, Berleyguts said:

Welcome back, Jim! Wishing you a speedy recovery! Nothing like a stainless steel screw or two in a limb! I remember the one in my AC joint (shoulder) from an Over 35s soccer game all too well! I was glad to get that screw out after 6 months and get some mobility back but the movement will never be the same! On a positive note... I wonder what you can bring through the metal detector at the airport??? 😂

Thanks mate... the doctor is pretty confident it will recover 100% No sign of arthritis or joint damage. Fingers crossed!

Just now, Ah Me Ting said:

Mate, medical costs these days, and government funding 'n all ... I doubt it.

Probably more likely from the Masters closing down sale. 🙄

Just now, 61 crusher said:

Ouch!! I gave up soccer at 45 because of the recovery time from sprains & knocks from the young blokes, I wish you luck with a pain free recovery, damn 6 months is along time, but as they say where there’s a will there’s a way, hopefully you’ll have a rod in hand soon

I am finding ways to get around better each day. No shortage of things to occupy me so hopefully I will be back walking in a moon boot in 6 weeks.

Just now, Rah said:

Wishing you a speedy recovery mate. How good is that first trip back out going to be!!!

Cheers

Rah

Thanks Rah.  I can't wait for that first trip back!

Just now, Ah Me Ting said:

I reckon this is the most under rated issue, especially for active blokes. Doctors don't seem to even consider the impact, so it's left to family and friends to realise, react and take action. So, mate, here's a few ideas for you:

• do the long over due maintenance on all your fishing reels.
  • sort out all your tackle.
  • make up a heap of rigs for all your fishing needs.
  • replace or repair all the worn runners on your rods.
  • clean out, sort out, the 'bait' freezer.

I'm sure all ya mates will be happy to give you their reels and gear to sort out too. 🙄

Perhaps you can start taking rig making requests? 😲

Thanks for the suggestions ( I might pass on sorting out the mate's reels though! LOL!

• Haha 1

On 4/24/2019 at 7:07 AM, fragmeister said:

Thanks Donna. 

Yes, it’s a real shock to the system being so immobilised. 

I have crutches ( dangerous bloody things they are) an  I-Walk 2 which is like a peg leg thing that straps to your bent leg (you are probably aware of those) it’s pretty handy for getting around and freeing up your hands - even managed to make dinner last night.  My knee scooter arrives today... I think that will work the best and should get me up and about.

One of the most surprising things was when they told me I would have to self inject anticoagulants for 6 weeks. I don’t like needles much but I have rapidly become desensitised to giving myself the jab every day.

Anyway.. it’s all good... 

cheers

jim

Sounds like you are doing well. The knee scooter might be the go for you. The iWalk2.0 - not suitable for you? 

Keep up the Clexane inj and we’ll done on the self injecting Jim! 

Actually Donna I have found they all have their uses. Crutches for a quick no fuss trip to the loo or to get outside in the fresh air for a while, the iwalk for making dinner or anything else that requires hands free and the knee scooter for a shopping trip where it’s limited turning circle is not an issue.

After a week I am much better on crutches too and can navigate stairs if I need to.

Well, it’s one week down and I am much more mobile so I am happy about that.

Cheers

Jim

• Like 1

Well Jim, I have to say that is really crappy news. The time will pass quickly though. Maybe you can do more of your wonderful paintings. Hope you maintain full mobility when it's all sorted and you get back into the fishing with renewed enthusiasm. Don't worry though if the outcome is less than perfect. I'm living proof that you can still go fishing when you can't do a lot of other things. Get well soon mate, bn

• Like 1

Thanks Neil,

They are expecting a full recovery, No broken bones, just a severed ligament. The procedure was really just to prevent arthritis developing in the joint. 

10 years ago they may not have even bothered but living longer and being active at an older age makes it a good option. I have no current signs of arthritis so surgery was recommended. 

I was playing in a lower grade team designed for old and broken players but we had a trial games against a much younger team on a bit of a goat track of a field.  

I would have liked to play again but I don’t think I will risk it next season. 

Cheers

Jim

Hey Jim. I have had a serious ankle injury and it sure sucks. All the simple things we take for granted like showering, walking, getting a glass of water, cooking going to the shop etc become 10 times as difficult. You really appreciate the "luxury" you have when things go back to normal. 

Hope it all heals 100% for you mate.