Tackle for Boat Fishing

Baysic

Hi Raiders, so I am back on the water with a PolyCraft 455 CC, which I am starting to deck out to fish Mainly Botany - Bait Fishing in the main,  with some lures targeting Trevally Flathead, Bream and of course Kingies....

My question is what invaluable piece of equipment do you treasure most in your fishing expeditions and why - I am really keen to hear about stuff that may be attached but mainly whats in your tackle box....

Cheers 

16 minutes ago, Baysic said:

My question is what invaluable piece of equipment do you treasure most in your fishing expeditions and why 

Cheers 

Experience & knowledge.

The rest is just throwing expensive stuff into the drink & hoping for the best 😊 

There's no right or wrong answer, its what works for you at a particular location/time of day/time of moon phase/barometric pressure etc.

You need to play with a number of approaches for a species & see what works.

No magic pill which is what most people ask for!

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Experience & knowledge.

The rest is just throwing expensive stuff into the drink & hoping for the best 😊 

There's no right or wrong answer, its what works for you at a particular location/time of day/time of moon phase/barometric pressure etc.

You need to play with a number of approaches for a species & see what works.

No magic pill which is what most people ask for!

Thanks mate no substitute for experience, but I am a bit of a gear head and like hacks and reckon there are a couple of people out there that have .had an epiphany after 100 trips out and bought a deck pump or a thermos or a knot tying tool or something else kind or obliquely obvious that most people don’t bring... here is the boat by the way 1F63D322-89C7-4B9E-88BC-989C31EAA44B.thumb.jpeg.446642d4aad06f5f57395840fac095e5.jpeg

• Like 1

My advice is to be prepared for everything.

I've had days where I would be on my way out for a bottom bash for flathead when I pass by 2 or 3 boats clearly hooked up on kings wishing i had a jig....or a school of fish busting up on the surface with no lures wishing i could have cast.

When I head out I usually have light, medium and heavy gear, and an assortment of lures and jigs. Even if u dont Intend on using them you never know what the great blue with throw at you and youl want to be able to have a chance at them.

Same applies with bait.....try not to head out with only 1 type of bait. I usually head out with 2 options minimum ideally three. 

Sometimes fish can be fixated on one type of bait and completely ignore another.

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

My advice is to be prepared for everything.

I've had days where I would be on my way out for a bottom bash for flathead when I pass by 2 or 3 boats clearly hooked up on kings wishing i had a jig....or a school of fish busting up on the surface with no lures wishing i could have cast.

When I head out I usually have light, medium and heavy gear, and an assortment of lures and jigs. Even if u dont Intend on using them you never know what the great blue with throw at you and youl want to be able to have a chance at them.

Same applies with bait.....try not to head out with only 1 type of bait. I usually head out with 2 options minimum ideally three. 

Sometimes fish can be fixated on one type of bait and completely ignore another.

Had those exact scenarios on Tweed River in the last few days. 

Out with the family I only had light estuary gear and hooked up something large. No chance of stopping it (but I tried, but the 6lb line was no chance). 

So, I think a few rod options too. Light gear, medium and heavier to cover all possibilities.

Sheesh, if the weather's good and ocean nice, I might even slip out the front for a fish, unplanned. So, I always take extra fuel, food and water too.

I probably carry too much! When I fish outside solo in my 4.5m side console during the warmer months, I carry 8 outfits: a 6kg game rod, a 10kg game rod, a 15kg game rod, 3 threadline outfits rigged with 20lb braid but different line class mono breakaways for ANSA line class fishing (some for fishing lures, some for bait), an ultra light flick stick for having fun casting at bonito, salmon and tailor etc., and a light threadline outfit rigged with a Sabiki style bait jig. The theory is, I can get another line in the water immediately if I bust off during a hot bite. In winter, I usually won’t take the 10 and 15kg game outfits. Inside, I’ll generally take a light, medium and heavier outfit, although I don’t tend too fish too heavy inside, usually 2kg, 4kg and 6 or 8kg. and maybe a squid outfit. As I said, it’s probably overkill but I like being prepared for any eventuality and to always have line(s) in the water with no down time while rerigging. I wouldn’t be without my sounder and GPS and I like to make the effort to catch live bait whenever possible.

10 hours ago, Baysic said:

Thanks mate no substitute for experience, but I am a bit of a gear head and like hacks and reckon there are a couple of people out there that have .had an epiphany after 100 trips out and bought a deck pump or a thermos or a knot tying tool or something else kind or obliquely obvious that most people don’t bring... here is the boat by the way 1F63D322-89C7-4B9E-88BC-989C31EAA44B.thumb.jpeg.446642d4aad06f5f57395840fac095e5.jpeg

Nice, that will get you to some decent places!

Sounds like you live down the road from me @Baysic Im in Randwick!

I agree with @GoingFishing its not one thing for me its having gear that you may not necessarily need but might come in handy when a situation arises.

I only generally fish Botany & Port hacking but I still have some gear that you would normally carry when outside like poppers & smallish jigs, an array of soft plastics.

As for being prepared I normally have 5 rods all pre rigged for different applications, one light set up with some sort of metal incase I see some surface action, 2 light set ups with a 2 different SP ready, slightly heavier rod with 15=20lb braid & paternoster, one heavier 10-15kg rod with 30lb braid set up for trolling & can quickly change to a popper or metal jig is I see something like a king on the sounder or see them around a fad.

If I am fishing outside I have a different kit with different lures like octopus jigs lures, knife jigs, skirted lures etc.

Cant say there is 1 thing 1 carry more important than the other.

Probably say ya nipper pump is a good thing to have!

Edited by kingie chaser

As above, everyone is different with what they want to bring - I went from "prepare for everything" to single species packs to what I use now which is a "prepare for most things", but keep it as minimal as possible. The problem in the early days was that i just didnt know what i had and things were hidden under each other - ended up not using most things. The current setup is that I keep things minimal (to tackle that I would actually use) and in only three trays so that I can see most things at a glance and pick the right thing.

Am I missing something?

NSW DPI permits only 4 rods/lines in use or possession when saltwater fishing:

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/fishing-rules-and-regs/perm-prohib-saltwater

So, I guess 5th+ rods are either allocated to  eligible (underage / senior/with fishing license) passenger/crew quota OR they are  they are just partially rigged (and not suitable for immediate use). Or is there something  else?

18 minutes ago, savit said:

Am I missing something?

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/fishing-rules-and-regs/perm-prohib-saltwater

So, I guess 5th+ rods are either allocated to  eligible (underage / senior/with fishing license) passenger/crew quota OR they are  they are just partially rigged (and not suitable for immediate use). Or is there something  else?

Yeah, I rig to snap swivel only. It’s then a simple process to clip on leader and lure, just lure, live bait/skip bait leader or paternoster. I have to be more scrupulous living in a marine park - can’t be caught with a fully rigged rod in a sanctuary zone. I sometimes forget that I have a handline or two in a storage hatch, though. 🤔

18 minutes ago, savit said:

Am I missing something?

On 4/23/2019 at 8:18 PM, Baysic said:

Hi Raiders, so I am back on the water with a PolyCraft 455 CC, which I am starting to deck out to fish Mainly Botany - Bait Fishing in the main,  with some lures targeting Trevally Flathead, Bream and of course Kingies....

My question is what invaluable piece of equipment do you treasure most in your fishing expeditions and why - I am really keen to hear about stuff that may be attached but mainly whats in your tackle box....

Cheers 

A tip I got from a raider is to tie a few rigs with loop ends and attach via clip on the main line. Gets you back fishing quickly from the occasional bust/bight off. when bottom bashing I like to use single hook paternosta rigs and tie at least three before I go. Can also quickly snap on a lure or plastic if needed. Most missed items when left behind have been my tackle box, my sunnies and my Ryobi tradies radio.

40 minutes ago, savit said:

Am I missing something?

I rarely fish alone so always have at least two and ordinarily three people onboard. 

That being said. That has to be one of the stupidest rules ever written.

I was once told by a authorities to untie the hooks off one of my rods. I was fishing solo and had 5 rods with me at the time.

The  fourth and fifth were rigged and ready for use but not being used. I explained that one was a live bait setup and the other one had a metal tied on for casting just incase I came across a bust up but they stood there and watched me derig my fifth rod anyway. 

A rule for the sake of a rule if you ask me and one I'd happily ignore if i ever went out solo. 

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

I rarely fish alone so always have at least two and ordinarily three people onboard. 

That being said. That has to be one of the stupidest rules ever written.

I was once told by a authorities to untie the hooks off one of my rods. I was fishing solo and had 5 rods with me at the time.

The  fourth and fifth were rigged and ready for use but not being used. I explained that one was a live bait setup and the other one had a metal tied on for casting just incase I came across a bust up but they stood there and watched me derig my fifth rod anyway. 

A rule for the sake of a rule if you ask me and one I'd happily ignore if i ever went out solo. 

Not hijack this post but if you count hand lines most peeps have who has less than 4 rigs on a boat?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, blaxland said:

Not hijack this post but if you count hand lines most peeps have who has less than 4 rigs on a boat?

Exactly.. .a rule for the sake of a rule.

Who can iindividually keep up with more than 2 rods anyway... octopus man

Edited by GoingFishing

Am I missing something?

Where does it state no mote than 4 rods 'in possession'?

Just states no more than 4 in use is what I read.

Also whats this BS about not carry excess fishing gear, next thing they will be telling you that you cant breath to much air 😕

Anyway its open to interpretation, I dont carry excess, I carry what I need & thats what I will tell the judge 😊

2 rods in use at once most times.

Edited by kingie chaser

37 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Am I missing something?

Where does it state no mote than 4 rods 'in possession'?

Just states no more than 4 in use is what I read.

Also whats this BS about not carry excess fishing gear, next thing they will be telling you that you cant breath to much air 😕

Anyway its open to interpretation, I dont carry excess, I carry what I need & thats what I will tell the judge 😊

2 rods in use at once most times.

I use 2 most of the time too. sometimes 1 keeps enough busy 😀

"in possession" - screenshots of NSW DPI Android app.

Screenshot_2019-04-26-01-53-31.jpg

Screenshot_2019-04-26-01-52-59.jpg

Yeh I just don't get the rule, whats the difference if there is even 10 rods there & not in use?

If they aren't being used then what harm are they causing anyone?

I think I might annoy them & write an email asking the reason why & also what the penalty is.

I bet half the boats in NSW are carrying more than 4 rods/handlines PP!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, blaxland said:

Yeah, rules are rules, but this one is certainly one of the dumbest. Like having my TLD 50 on a 24KG rod is somehow related to my 1-2kg spin stick with a  squid jig on it?? Really should be 4 lines in the water at any one time which would seem to be what they are trying to limit but the rule is 100% 4 in possession. Anyways, what can you do....

As for useful gear,  my boat doesn't have a fixed burely bucket so we gabbed one for 89c at bunnings, drilled a heap of holes in it and tie in on at the back just on the waterline with some old rope. Use it just about every trip with tinned catfood so at value for money that's certainly my best piece of fishing kit we've got.  Aside from my standard tackle bag and rods the other must haves I keep on board are a good bait board that drains outside the edge of the boat, spare knives (sucks when you realise you forgot to bring one), a good BIG landing net, a gaff (sucks the day you need it and its not there...), yabbie pump, lost of sabiki jigs, plenty of spare snapper leads (always run out when you need them), scotty style rod holders, lots of tins of cat food and a BIG esky (from experience its very sad when you have to cut a prize fish in half to fit it in your undersized esky).

Rich

Everyone is different in what they do. Sometimes a planned fishing trip is the worst one.  

I dont personally like to leave gear permnately sitting in the boat as it can rust, go mouldy, get stolen etc......Sometiems left with no choice to leave geaer in the boat and sometimes laziness prevails. a good Pack up routine is very cruical if you want to keep your equipment lasting and in good working order.

Keeping all gear in segrated boxes works to. I keep a small plastic bunker box with a first aid kit, flares and spare tools in a dry area on the boat. Keep life jackets in a bag. Both go under hatch space under casting deck. 

Side pockets I keep ropes, gaff, oar, etc...... 

Glove box I keep space in there so i can chuck keys wallet and phone in. 

Try not to take to much tackle, i use a fishing bag and just fill it pre trip. I set up rods before getting out. 

The most invaluable thing I would consider on the boat would be a risk assesment. This covers everything from drinking water to someone knowing when you will be home. 

Hey Crew.

This # of rods or lines thing ... remember too different rules in different states.

From the NSW link:

If you read down further it states:

Prohibited

Line fishing

You are not permitted to:

• Carry excess fishing lines in, on, or adjacent to waters. Spare lines should not be rigged and should be properly stowed. (Note: I added that bit of bold and underline emphasis)

😯 ... 🙄 ... 😕 ... ???

Can't say I have ever been pulled up for having my 4 rods all rigged. Fisheries and Maritime are pretty active on the Tweed River - think they like to catch the unknowing Queenslanders with their cast nets.

And, while on the topic of Queenslanders, their 'fishing lines' rule(s) are here:

https://www.qld.gov.au/recreation/activities/boating-fishing/rec-fishing/rules/equipment

And, it states for 'fishing lines':

Freshwater

• No more than six fishing lines should be used alone or combined.
  • A fishing line should not be set as a cross-line.
  • Only one hook or artificial fly/lure can be attached to a line.
  • You can’t be more than 50m away from any of your fishing lines.

Tidal water

• Up to three fishing lines are permitted consisting of a total of six hooks.
  • A fly or lure is considered equal to one hook.
  • A cross line, drum line, free-floating line or set line is not included as a fishing line.
  • You must be present with the line at all times.

Be SO much easier is we had standard rules across Australia.

😉

Edited by Ah Me Ting
typo(s)