Motorguide now attached!

TheCount

Long weekends are great for lots of things - visiting family, doing some chores and more importantly finally fitting new toys to boats!!

Last Friday I got to install my new Motorguide 80lb 60" GPS model and I'm happy to say it lives up to my expectations handsomely. You can see the conditions were beautifully calm so it made the maiden voyage a good one for becoming familiar with its functions. From its power when underway to the accuracy in anchor mode, I couldn't be happier and look forward to when the swell or tide or wind increase so I can really test it out. I feel that due to the easier way of staying in one spot it allowed me to get closer to where I wanted to fish and some of the results 

There's a 3mm 316SS plate under the quick release secured with rail (or well) nuts - they are a rubber grommet with a brass nut inside that stops metals touching when going through the hull. All the reading tells me to mount it as close to the middle as possible so I feel I had a win there. The rail cuts have been loaded with silicone and I'll find some furniture caps to fit.

The Motorguide power goes to a 60A breaker on the right and then to an Anderson plug on the left, leading back to the batteries. Added into the 24V mix is an Anderson between the two 110Ah AGM's which when disconnected reverts each unit back to 12V and in conjunction with disconnecting the motor is then able to be charged with my existing solar panel system. A voltmeter has been also added to each battery and when I have time will be cut into the battery boxes so I can see how they're going. Next step is then to secure the battery boxes under the dash out of the way and start working only next project - a new/proper bait board and storage unit...

TC.

20190421 Motorguide 2.JPG

20190421 Motorguide 1.JPG

20190421 Batteries.JPG

20190421 Sunrise.JPG

20190421 Bream.JPG

• Like 2

The electric motor will open doors. A whole new style of fishing. I was also one of the lucky who got to attach a GPS capable trolling motor. Absolutely an amazing game changer. 

RED HOT TIP for young players. Anderson plugs, keep them coated inb fishoil and inspect regulary as they are notorious for rust and corrosion, even in they are hidden. I speak from experience haha.

Do you fishing brizzy waters often?

3 hours ago, JA1990 said:

The electric motor will open doors. A whole new style of fishing. I was also one of the lucky who got to attach a GPS capable trolling motor. Absolutely an amazing game changer. 

RED HOT TIP for young players. Anderson plugs, keep them coated inb fishoil and inspect regulary as they are notorious for rust and corrosion, even in they are hidden. I speak from experience haha.

Thanks JA1990. Right now I'm happy to stay in Brisbane Waters. Living at Kariong gives me a choice of launching at say Koolewong if I want to head towards Gosford/Erina or launch at Woy Woy if heading South. The calmer waters definitely appeals and the more I fish, the better I'm getting and am at the stage where I 'always' bring something home for dinner. At some point I will start to venture wider and that is only a natural challenge I'll put on myself. I love learning new things and although I don't post a lot the information is definitely gleaned and used.

I've been itching for the Motorguide for about a year and now I have it, I feel my horizons will expand. Just the sheer ease with which it responds to your commands is sublime!

Cheers,

TC.

2 hours ago, antonywardle said:

Looks good! What is the name of the boat, I'll look out and give you a wave next time I'm out

Hi anthonywardle and 61 crusher,

No name as yet. I'm working on a large format sticker design with, you guessed it, The Count as the focus. In the meantime I have ordered the plain lettering of "The Count" to go across the stern so at least she'll have a name. I'd better check the registration records to make sure I can use it though......

The boat is a Quintrex 475 Freedom Sport (bowrider) with 75hp 2-stroke Mercury which has been turned into my fishing boat purely through lack of use by the rest of the family. I'm going to put up a more detailed description in the Members Boat section with the mods once I'm done. Next round is to start working on that bait board and next week I'll get some additional rod holders installed just to make life a little easier and provide more options.

Cheers,

TC.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shakey55 said:

With ‘The Count’ written on your boat you are inviting hoodlums to deface / damage your boat IMO

I May be wrong

33 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Why would that be @shakey55

😕 ...

Maybe, the "O" might get crossed out?

🙄

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, shakey55 said:

With ‘The Count’ written on your boat you are inviting hoodlums to deface / damage your boat IMO

I May be wrong

I see where you're going with it, scrub out a letter etc etc.

I can't see anyone getting the chance as she sits on my property with the bow to the street and covered to the trailer line. If anyone comes near the house I'll get them on CCTV.

Appreciate the concern but I'm comfortable with it.

TC.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 1:13 PM, JA1990 said:

Would a product like lanox be ok for corrosion protection? The manual that came with my motor guide said to stay away from sprays and the like and just rinse and dry thoroughly 

2 minutes ago, gundi4 said:

Would a product like lanox be ok for corrosion protection? The manual that came with my motor guide said to stay away from sprays and the like and just rinse and dry thoroughly 

The issue is with salt in the air whilst out and about - as we all know it gets into EVERYTHING.. I'm not going to spend time worrying about it only because you could go through the time and cost of coating/spraying the join over X years (not to mention the number of times I'd forget) and still have a problem. If I run into issues, just cut and re-crimp into new connectors.

TC.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gundi4 said:

So lanox mx4 is great. It's basically lanoline but can be quiet pricey. You can use just regular standard lanoline soray. 

Unfortunately things to corrode especially when exposed to salt how ever sprays can mitigate them also rinse thoroughly. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Thanks for your post. I have what looks like the same boat. 4.8m FreedomSport. I’m currently getting a plate put on the front, rail cut etc. I’m putting 80lb MotorGuide on. Any tips for the wiring and install? Did the two batteries fit ok under the glove box? Does it make the boat too heavy leaning towards the left with MotorGuide + 2 heavy batteries all on the left side? Just trying to work out the best placement. How did you fix your batteries to the floor to stop them sliding? Sorry about all the questions. Looking to install this week after I pick up boat on Monday with new plate. Cheers! 

Edited by Trinity Fishing

2 hours ago, Trinity Fishing said:

Thanks for your post The Count. I have what looks like the same boat. 4.8m FreedomSport. I’m currently getting a plate put on the front, rail cut etc. I’m putting 80lb MotorGuide on. Any tips for the wiring and install? Did the two batteries fit ok under the glove box? Does it make the boat too heavy leaning towards the left with MotorGuide + 2 heavy batteries all on the left side? Just trying to work out the best placement. How did you fix your batteries to the floor to stop them sliding? Sorry about all the questions. Looking to install this week after I pick up boat on Monday with new plate. Cheers! 

Just a tip, if you either quote the OP or link them in on your post by using @ in front of their name like  @Trinity Fishing then they will get a notification.

Alternatively send them a PM by hovering the cursor over the posters avitar.

The OP of this thread has not been on the site since August this year!

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Trinity Fishing said:

Thanks for the tip @King chaser

i tried to go back and edit my original message with an @ in front. But they’re not here any more as you said. 
cheers! Only new here...

No problem.

Another tip is to also use the search tab & look for other threads that might give you some more info

https://www.fishraider.com.au/search/?&q=Motorguide&search_and_or=or

You might find someone else in another thread who is more active that can give some advice

On 4/24/2019 at 1:13 PM, JA1990 said:

I agree if you dont put something on the anderson plugs you will be putting new ones on every 3 to 6 months due to corrosion and you will work that out when you are out on the water and your trolling motor stops. I have just bought some di electric grease to try on mine because im sick of replacing them so frequently.