Early Morning Shift Botany Bay

micktempe

Morning guys,

This morning headed to Foreshore road boat ramp and docked in just before 5am.
Cruised over to the cans i think you guys call it for some yakkas. We managed to pull in 10 using sabiki jigs with some bread and some pilchard.
We moved on to molineaux point, on the yarra bay side but only had small fish stealing our bait. We tried dropping a yakka down but only managed to tangle our lines. After about 1 hour we relocated to pretty much on the corner of molineaux point. Some more small bites but nothing exciting.

8am on the dot, last line going in decided to put a full pilchard. Within 2 minutes line starts screaming and pulls to the left tangles with couple of other rods but got them sorted then comes back around. After a nice fight on light gear I got it to the surface, Kingfish! No net i pull the rod back to grab the line then decides to go for another run and snaps the line!

After that nothing, packed up because had to be at work soon 😱

Need some advice on what to do with live yakkas. We normally are anchored. Sinker? no sinker? balloon? what is the trick with them?

1 minute ago, micktempe said:

Morning guys,

Cruised over to the cans i think you guys call it for some yakkas. We managed to pull in 10 using sabiki jigs with some bread and some pilchard.
We moved on to molineaux point, on the yarra bay side but only had small fish stealing our bait. We tried dropping a yakka down but only managed to tangle our lines. After about 1 hour we relocated to pretty much on the corner of molineaux point. Some more small bites but nothing exciting.

8am on the dot, last line going in decided to put a full pilchard. Within 2 minutes line starts screaming and pulls to the left tangles with couple of other rods but got them sorted then comes back around. After a nice fight on light gear I got it to the surface, Kingfish! No net i pull the rod back to grab the line then decides to go for another run and snaps the line!

Need some advice on what to do with live yakkas. We normally are anchored. Sinker? no sinker? balloon? what is the trick with them?

we put live yakka on float around 3m to 5m drop

• Like 1

It’s pretty hard to have a few yakkas swimming around without causing grief.  

Depends how many people are on the boat a bit and the conditions.   Free swimming I’d  only have one livey at a time.   Or say one a few metres under a float and one reasonably heavy weighted under the boat a few metres off the bottom.   Depending on the conditions you should be able to feed some lightly weighted pillies out into the berley trail as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had my live yakka's close to the bottom at almost the same spot(approx. 20-24 metres of water) on Friday for not a show.

The last time I saw them there they were actually cruising the surface & I manages a small one by jiggling a SP erratically.

Not sure if my bottom livey rig is text book but I use a sliding sinker runner with the clip in between 2 swivels with a metre or so of mono, so when the sinke hits bottom the fish can rise 1-2 metres off the bottom.

Don't know just trialling it really.

I guess you could also run  a single hook paternoster with a bit longer loop?

Well done anyway, at least you got a hit :thumbup: 

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

I wouldn't use a float at Molineaux Point. The kingies will be near the bottom so use a fairly heavy sinker (2 -3 oz), lower it to the bottom then wind up a couple of meters.  Also alive yellowtail under a float will swim all over the place and be too much hard work.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2019 at 11:30 AM, micktempe said:

Hi Fisholb,

Thanks for response. how many would you put in water at same time also would we be able to bottom fish or not recommended?

we usually put 2 live yakkas while we bottom bash

we put the live yakkas around 15m to 20m from the boat in different depths

always put the live yakkas on either side of the boat so they dont get tangle up

One thing about a float rig for me its always the one that get hit by some toothy critter that is a few seconds of fun before a bite off.   I’m guessing either big tailor or small sharks.   It happened to me so much over a few trips I was considering using wire.  

On 4/28/2019 at 11:23 AM, micktempe said:

Morning guys,

Patternoster rig, bridle livebait. 3 winds from the bottom over open water structure.