Port Hacking reddies

Yowie

Headed out early this morning, up from Lilli Pilli. Once the sun popped up, the bites just about stopped, so I headed home.

Found a patch of reddies, plenty of smaller ones there to throw back, but 6 legals which is a bit more than usual up the Hacking, and a little bit bigger than normal. Baits used were pillies, squid strips and salted mackerel strips.

No yakkas at all, not even any sweep or other pickers. I pulled up one pillie, and only saw a couple of pillies jumping about, no bigger fish hitting the surface.

The kingie took a pillie from the bottom, and was hooked in the side of the head. The top hook from the 3 hook gang was in the back of the gill cover, so every time I put pressure on the fish, I was pulling it sideways through the water, which made for a long fight on 12 pound mono.

fish.jpeg_191.thumb.png.c17bbbdef57cf8eab46211278af64688.png

• Like 5

2 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

That’s a great tasty bag for the hacking as always good one, that kingie would have been an interesting fight

I hooked it, felt a little bit of weight, then it swam towards the boat and I thought it was gone, then it speared off away from the boat and I knew it was not another reddie. First legal one for a while.

3 minutes ago, fat_souvlaki said:

Excellent catch mate!

What a great feed they will make.

The reddies will be nice. Have shared them with family, and some friends who are not fishos.

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

A different looking mat there yowie. Very nice indeed. 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Thankyou Scratchie. Happy with a feed of reddies at any time. Was using 3 lines with different baits, and the lines took off one after the other, so I would say that the reddies were swimming past in a small school at the time.

2 hours ago, Welster said:

Wow just wow!   That’s a great Hacking catch 

Thank you, just happy to pull out a nice feed of reddies. Just had a feed of reddie fillets with a lime/peppercorn sauce washed down with a Clare Valley Riesling.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, frankS said:

Yowie. I take my hat off to you mate, getting Reds like that in the river I thought couldn't be done, local knowledge and a touch of luck I guess ?. Well done as always and thanks for sharing.

Frank

Thank you Frank.

20 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Yowie

You own the Hacking....another top reports ....great stuff and a great feed too!

Thank you Rob. I have fished the Hacking since I was a kid, that's a few years now :lol:, so I have worked out a few spots.

• Haha 1