HAND HELD RADIOS

adkel53

I am looking at replacing an old 27 meg radio on my boat. I only ever venture a couple of km offshore. Just wondering if there is a hand held UHF radio that would be suitable rather than having one  mounted in the boat. Any ideas?

10 hours ago, adkel53 said:

I am looking at replacing an old 27 meg radio on my boat. I only ever venture a couple of km offshore. Just wondering if there is a hand held UHF radio that would be suitable rather than having one  mounted in the boat. Any ideas?

There are quite a few VHF (as needed for marine use) on the market now.

I have one that is now 7 n a bit years old. It's a Cobra Marine with a rechargeable battery. Works OK (I do an a quarterly radio check to the local VMR), and can get good coverage for my needs (off Tweed Coast).

In an 'open' tinnie type boat, I find it much easier to have than installing an antenna and base unit etc. If I had a cabin boat or 'cockpit' type area, I'd think about a fixed install. 

My handheld is stored in my waterproof 'boating safety bag' which has other safety gear like the flares, compass, waterproof torch, paper maps, whistle, V-sheet, etc. This 'safety bag' is then stored with the life jackets, which are also near the EPIRB and Fire Extinguisher (which reminds me, I was going to get a photo up of where I had the EPIRB mounted).

Note: VHF for marine use not UHF (see further comments below)

Edited by Ah Me Ting
Clarification re VHF vs UHF

Ricks on the money, marine rescue & mariners use VHF.

Even though you might be less than 2 NM offshore & not actually required to do so Id still like to be able to call he local marine rescue service to let them know I going offshore & when I will be back, plus if there is an emergency I can call a pan pan or mayday for assistance.

This might help.

https://www.acma.gov.au/theacma/marine-vhf-radio

Not long ago a vessel caught fire just outside Sydney heads & they had to eventually jump ship into shark infested waters.

If they set off an Epirb they would have been fried or worse before help arrived!

7 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Not long ago a vessel caught fire just outside Sydney heads & they had to eventually jump ship into shark infested waters.

Sounds more like a lack of appropriate type and quantity of fire extinguisher(s)?

1 hour ago, Ah Me Ting said:

Sounds more like a lack of appropriate type and quantity of fire extinguisher(s)?

Not sure of the circumstances except it was reported a fire in the engine bay, any amount of training/equipment sometimes cannot be enough when you mix fire & fuel, but the point was that the radio call meant someone got to them quickly.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/men-jump-lives-luxury-fishing-boat-bursts-flames-082406152.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS5hdS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAKLuogY7dMyjVYNNJasbDMWnTKfSR1BbwJeCjUC9Txo4ajZ8mODRmIvwFNRYJAzJ_JCbwXglR9G1VmLFiQNzFIy6ha4HKJbPyAZ6eZazmoJYR4f-ImaltyPcYmsMADBNwGqDyDffH1XSMUWXLexNbeLrOj2jCZu9qCASfFo7iQBb

There is a thread in here about it somewhere.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Check the frequencies used on older models as the Fed Govt has sold off a lot of bandwidth over the past few years.

There is less need nowadays with mobile coverage, but it never hurts to have a backup.

TC.

For the record, I was informed recently during my coxswain training that all 27meg radios will be phased out.

As for handheld radio's, Ive got a backup Ray-marine handheld to compliment my onboard icon vhf. Icom seem to always get the highest ratings in marine radios, however my ray-marine (handheld) has no problems clearly transmitting and receiving at Montague back to Narooma base which is roughly 10km and has been used on my boat for around 8 years+.

I often carry my handheld while on mates boats for that extra safety. 

Don't just leave them on the boat for an emergency, make sure they are fully charged at certain intervals. I can use enelop rechargable batteries in mine that will hold charges for much longer periods than other batteries (there are other brands that also do this).