Weather App

micktempe

I do check Seabreeze but I find I use WillyWeather the most. I find it the easiest to use on my phone and reasonably accurate. However, I did decide not to fish the FAD today, as it was predicted 15 knots at Broughton but it’s looking pretty calm here at Corlette. I also use FishRanger but it predicted 15-20 knots from the NNE at the FAD and up to 25 knots at times, with 1.5-2m seas.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Deckee mate, cut and dried.

I have Deckee on my phone but it doesn’t seem to be specific enough, e.g. I can’t check Broughton Island or the Port Stephens FAD. Maybe it’s an operator error. I keep coming back to WW for the ease of use and the 7 day forecast.

I use willy weather. I find it's usually accurate for Sydney Harbour. I particularly like the graph mode which allows you to customise to have swell, wind, rain and tide on the one view.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, anthman said:

I use willy weather. I find it's usually accurate for Sydney Harbour. I particularly like the graph mode which allows you to customise to have swell, wind, rain and tide on the one view.

I didn’t know you could get them in the one view! Is that on your phone? I’m going to play with it now. 😎

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

I have Deckee on my phone but it doesn’t seem to be specific enough, e.g. I can’t check Broughton Island or the Port Stephens FAD. Maybe it’s an operator error. I keep coming back to WW for the ease of use and the 7 day forecast.

PM sent

My opinions/summary

Willy Weather = Closest to what the average conditions of the day will probably be close to the coast.

Seabreeze = Closest to what the worst conditions (strongest winds) will be over the coarse of the day close to the coast.

Met Eye = Best for offshore to look at the the forecast a few days leading into and the prediction for a few days afterwards to figure out how lumpy it might be coming from wind outside your location. Also does two swells to give a better understanding of how lumpy it might be.

You really need to look at all of these sites quite frequently and before and after you go out so you can develop an understanding in your head of what wind strengths/directions and swell height/period/direction will have on the sea surface conditions. If you are heading offshore you can throw the currents into the mix too. A strong north to south current pushing into a short sharp southerly wind/swell will stand up worse than less current or current going with the wind. Similar story for when the swells and winds are going in opposite directions.

A good example of this is pretty much any north coast coastal river bar in a north east wind on a run out tide vs a run in.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Captain Spanner said:

... develop an understanding in your head of what wind strengths/directions and swell height/period/direction will have on the sea surface conditions. If you are heading offshore you can throw the currents into the mix too. A strong north to south current pushing into a short sharp southerly wind/swell will stand up worse than less current or current going with the wind. Similar story for when the swells and winds are going in opposite directions.

A good example of this is pretty much any north coast coastal river bar in a north east wind on a run out tide vs a run in.

👍

And, I'll add too, consider the likely conditions on your way back home. Swell, current and wind direction.

If you're heading out NE from your home port, and the swell is from the NE but forecast wind is for a strong SE to blow up in the afternoon when you'll be heading back in, on a run out tide, well...

No 'app' is going to give you this level of detail or the impact on your boat. 

In line with what i said, keep in mind that if you have strong wind/swell the day/night before you are heading out and it is predicted to drop late that night or in the morning, even if the wind stops it is likely that the sea will still have a wind hangover and be sloppy for a while after the wind stops as the chop continues to travel for some time and distance

F1569F40-8DD7-4319-B083-0FD6DCB2AF57.thumb.jpeg.5d62640147bd9b1e01de298fc97a9e25.jpeg

But I do use WillyWeather. 

Always look for an improvement in conditions throughout the day! 

That way, what you are confronted with in the morning should be your worst conditions! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

12 hours ago, Captain Spanner said:

... if you have strong wind/swell the day/night before you are heading out and it is predicted to drop late that night or in the morning, even if the wind stops it is likely that the sea will still have a wind hangover and be sloppy for a while after the wind stops as the chop continues to travel for some time and distance

100% 👍

As a lifetime, life long, surfer (started in 1976), I call that, most surfers call that, 'morning sickness'. It can take an hour or more of offshore winds after sunrise (when the wind usually strengths) to clean up the surf conditions on some days. 

Edited by Ah Me Ting
typo

17 hours ago, Fish_More said:

... a 16 day forecast ...

Personally I wouldn't pay much attention to any forecast past a couple of days. I most definitely wouldn't bother paying for one!

If you want to get a general idea of what the weather might be like, the interactive weather and wave forecast map on BOM is a good free resource.

The forecast maps for the next four days published by BOM are the most accurate due to their near term prognosis, but even still, things change. 

Just look at that last cyclone, it was being updated hourly and anything predicted further than an hour was constantly rebutted by the eye of the storm. More sedate weather patterns are the same. 

It's more about general consensus and overall effect past a day or so out in any forecast period. 

Guest Guest123456789

Willy weather but if i am going offshore manly hydraulics laboratory and nsw nearshore wave forecast

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

You can also use surfcams up n down the coast to physicaly look at conditions live   port macquarie bar swr  coffs  swansea

Here's the list of all of them in NSW with links to each bar crossing cam:

http://www.rms.nsw.😔gov.au/maritime/using-waterways/web-cameras/index.html

Handy reference for return trip home too, to check conditions before entering the 'bar crossing' if you're unsure of changing weather closer to home, especially if travelling or in another area on holidays etc.

CoastalWatch have a network of cameras mounted, generally, on surf clubs. See here:

https://www.coastalwatch.com/ .

And, so too does Swellnet. See here:

https://www.swellnet.com/

The surf cams can be handy for checking out the beach conditions too, like gutters, winds, cross shore currents, swell, etc if you're planning a beach fish.

I've also used the surf cams to check options for an emergency beaching of a boat. Had to do it when a boat took on water with a crack down the keel, another time when the back up fuel was contaminated and another time when the bar was too low to cross. 

Sorry, that's all a "bit off topic". But, I do think there is more information available than just a weather 'app'.

• Thanks 1