New setup, advice needed!

Daviddf

Hi :) 

This is my first post, thanks for having me :)

I have recently purchased a penn prevail 10-foot 10-15kg rod and paired it with a Shimano Thunnus Ci4 12000. 

I am in the process now of selecting excellent line. All the braid i've seen so far except the fins 40g seem to break too far below their rated specs and offer few advantages which disappoints me. I'm very confused about what i should buy, and not yet convinced that braid is the best option for me. I would be happy to find some good THIN mono that breaks at or over it's advertised strength. 

Has anyone used the Shimano Exage+ mono line? How about the Stren Hi Vis? any good? perhaps someone can help me rig my setup with the proper line so i don't waste my money! 

Thank you very much, 

David

1 minute ago, Daviddf said:

thanks for your reply.

surf fishing mainly. 

Im completely novice, it's the first rod and reel i've ever purchased, so i don't even know what i'll be catching. 

kastking braid from ebay is unreal and cheap

If you're distance casting in the surf, then Braid is recommended. If you're fishing in close or medium distances then mono is fine.

Mono would be easier to manage for novice as you wont need to worry about joining leaders etc.

The Thunnus 14000 is rated to carry 10kg / 240m of mono, i don't know what thickness that is but 240m of mono is more than enough if you're not distance casting.

I would suggest a cheaper supple mono for a novice. Look at Sunline, Suffix and Platypus as well as the lines you've suggested.

BTW not to stomp on your choices, but that setup is less then ideal for a novice, if you can swap the reel for a 6000 sized one I would do so. 14000k is excessive for beach fishing unless your fishing for sharks, rays etc..

Edited by connico

thanks for your advice. 

Connico, 

I have the Thunnus ci4 12000. I originally ordered the 8000 but was put off by the rather small line capacity particularly for thicker mono lines. I calculated about a 150m spool with .42mm mono line with the 8000, so i swapped it over. I've fished before a bunch of times, just didn't want to learn the sport more seriously until now. 

Cheers. 

Braid catches sand on the beaches (so you would need to clean it after each session to be safe), mono is affected by the surf easier is what I found and can get pulled a bit along the surf. I have the same reel, but I bought a spare spool, one with Mono and other with braid. I would use the mono when rough and braid when flatter conditions. I do this because I find the braid will most likely tangle easier in rough, especially when seaweed is being ripped up and moving along the surf. Mono doesn't tangle as easily and is also easier to fix when it does.

For Mono, I'm using cheaper Mono, sunline siglon v, and haven't had any issues with it so far. I'm normally a braid fisherman and this is the first mono I've used a long time, found that I would work harder to bring in the first due to stretch.

Advantage and disadvantage of both, just need to take your pick.

If you're a complete novice go with mono.

After a year or so i'd then suggest trying braid, its a lot less forgiving for new anglers and bigger learning curve (lack of stretch, need for a leader - learning different leader knots so you can cast through the guides etc).

Most braids I've found the opposite to what you've described, they break much higher than their advertised breaking strain (fireline and powerpro are examples of this).

I much prefer braid in the surf, it cuts through the waves and is less influenced by their drag. Only downside is what rob mentioned in that if seaweed is bad on the beach tangles are much worse.

Hi,

I use Exage have done for some time. I also use Suffix 21 another good Mono. Another good Mono is Penn Super X. I use a Thunnus 6000 Among other reels.

Don't use Braid. Mono does the job. Many will argue about this.