Live well tank info

Nick Harvey

Hey guys

First post here guys but have been reading posts for a while.
Looking at pimping out the tinny soon and just after some advise if possible. Would it be better to install a live well that draws from the water or one that recycles the water? Thinking fresh water all the time is better but not sure, I know recycling the water would be easier to install but want to do it right straight up.

Also what would be the right flow rate from the pump? Thinking maybe 35-50LT esky would be a good size and maybe a 350gph pump, or would I need more? Thank for any assistance.

Regards

Nick

Fresh all the way, just stirrring the water will kill your bait quicksmart. If you only have a small boat a 30 lt eskie will be fine , go bigger on the pump- the more flow the better

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

New incoming clean water better than recycled 100%.

Just remember too that while the pump might give good flow, volume, it's your 'outflow' pipe that will set the overall rate of flow. Quickly pumping new water in at a rate faster than the outflow will see the tank fill up and overflow. The quicker you can get the outflow going 'out' (i.e bigger tubing, less bends, minimal filter restrictions) the more water you can pump 'in'.

Edited by Ah Me Ting
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Guest123456789

Fresh all the way using a water pick up. For a tinny in shallow water i reckon a pump is too noisy so just use a couple of bailer scoops every 10 minutes or so. Then when you change spots the water will be recycled. I have a bilge that can draw water but don’t turn it on because of the noise.

14 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Fresh all the way using a water pick up. For a tinny in shallow water i reckon a pump is too noisy so just use a couple of bailer scoops every 10 minutes or so. Then when you change spots the water will be recycled. I have a bilge that can draw water but don’t turn it on because of the noise.

Perhaps consider a silent pump.  You only need around 10x circulation ie. 500lph and there are a few 12v options which are virtually silent (submersible aquarium pumps for saltwater).   Mounting the pump on anything which will reverberate should be avoided.

I have done both and much prefer flicking a switch to using a bailer over a session however the bailer will surely work. 

• Thanks 1

Guest Guest123456789
1 hour ago, Slawman said:

Perhaps consider a silent pump.  You only need around 10x circulation ie. 500lph and there are a few 12v options which are virtually silent (submersible aquarium pumps for saltwater).   Mounting the pump on anything which will reverberate should be avoided.

I have done both and much prefer flicking a switch to using a bailer over a session however the bailer will surely work. 

Thanks slawman, my current pump is a rule 360GPH mounted to an aluminium transom. If there’s a silent option I’d replace it but haven’t seen any such thing on the market.

whats the brand name?

I personalyy havnt had fish spook from bait pump running  i fish shallow water bream in lake mac and have bream coming up berley trail eating bread off surface ten ft from back of boat  i think splashing with a bailer bucket would be worse

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

I personalyy havnt had fish spook from bait pump running  i fish shallow water bream in lake mac and have bream coming up berley trail eating bread off surface ten ft from back of boat  i think splashing with a bailer bucket would be worse

100% mine just runs all day , constant "humms " like a pump the fish couldnt care less about, dropping a metal object or a hatch - sudden bangs I reckon can be a problem but only for a very short time, most fish are curious and will come back anyway- watch bream in a berley trail- they will spook but only swim a few meters away- the berley will bring them back . Back to the OP - get the biggest baddest pump you can- My tank overflows and every hour or so i need to run the bilge pump but my livies stay alive and thats all i care about.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Thanks slawman, my current pump is a rule 360GPH mounted to an aluminium transom. If there’s a silent option I’d replace it but haven’t seen any such thing on the market.

whats the brand name?

Something like this.  Just make sure it has no metal shaft or if it does it is stainless (can't tell from the promo). 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/aquapro-ap750lv-water-feature-pump_p2810056

There's also a Pondmax Evo 11 Series Low Voltage Pump which should work.

Eheim and Tunze make them also but they are more expensive (but very reliable).

These are generally not self priming but are very quiet....

Edited by Slawman
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Nick Harvey said:

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. Cant wait to get some livies and squid for chasing the jew's!!!

Thanks again 

So, where's the pics of what you made?