Beginner setup help

smack19

Hi all, great forum and lots of informational reading to do. Just after a sanity check since I'd like to get out and do some more fishing. I purchased a Shimano Sonic Pro 2014 Spin Rod (7' 2-4kg) and Daiwa BG 2000 with 10lb braid which I intend to use for bream around Apple Tree Bay and Bobbin Head. I also picked up a Daiwa BG 2500 but it has been unused and after reading a few threads on the subject I am now thinking I'd like to get a setup for beach bream/whiting around northern beaches and rest of NSW. Am thinking the Rovex Revenge (10' or 12' 6-15kg) and my thinking is that the 2500 might be too small (drag and weight). Would I be better trying to exchange or purchase the BG 4500 instead? (Seems the sweet spot between the heavier 4000 and 5000 for drag/weight/spool).

6-15kg is a little heavy for a bit of beach fishing mate.

I'd aim for a 4-6kg rod 10'6" would be suitable. Rapala The Gutter would work

4500 would be a better size in the BG series for beach and rock

Edited by connico

2 hours ago, smack19 said:

Hi all, great forum and lots of informational reading to do. Just after a sanity check since I'd like to get out and do some more fishing. I purchased a Shimano Sonic Pro 2014 Spin Rod (7' 2-4kg) and Daiwa BG 2000 with 10lb braid which I intend to use for bream around Apple Tree Bay and Bobbin Head. I also picked up a Daiwa BG 2500 but it has been unused and after reading a few threads on the subject I am now thinking I'd like to get a setup for beach bream/whiting around northern beaches and rest of NSW. Am thinking the Rovex Revenge (10' or 12' 6-15kg) and my thinking is that the 2500 might be too small (drag and weight). Would I be better trying to exchange or purchase the BG 4500 instead? (Seems the sweet spot between the heavier 4000 and 5000 for drag/weight/spool).

Mate, IMHO, yes, I agree that the 2500 would be too small on a 10' or 12' rod.

Hi,

Welcome aboard.

Dinga Fishing has Penn Prevail beach rods on special at the moment all sizes. Dinga is one of our sponsors and Freight is free around Australia. These are great rods and cheap at the moment. I use a 5000 reel for the beach.

Cheers

For beach fishing I'd use connicos advice - 10' 4-6kg rod. The 2500 has good capacity assuming 10lb braid and the reel has 6kg drag, so more than enough.

Edit: don't forget the Daiwa bg 2500 is bigger than Shimano 2500, more like a Shimano 3000 or even 3500.

Edited by anthman

On 5/3/2019 at 2:07 PM, smack19 said:

Honestly it depends on how much and often you are going to go beach fishing, think about how often you are going to use it, what the use for? just for beach fishing or for rocks etc aswell,

I have several beach rods ranging from a $30 kmart combo 12ft beach rod upto $$$ beach rod, and honestly i use my jarvis walker and the kmart beach combo more than the expensive ones, especially if im going around sydney during the week, if im going away camping and pristine beaches say stockton, ill take several rods. Id be looking at a cheapish but sturdy rod paired with a decent 4000/4500 size reel, i use this Jarvis Jarvis Tuff Tip 3.20m and pretty cheap at the $40 mark from dinga, and change reels between it depending on what Im going for.

Definately try and get a 4000 size and pair it with that jarvis, rovex aren't too bad i have never had an issue with the smaller sized reels, My mate had an issue with his larger rovex. i found with the rovexs you really need to give them a good service after every little beach adventure, most likely neglect of the reel after a beach fish but still.

Depending on your budget is what it comes down to, if your on a tight budget go for a shimano sienna fe 4000, i have 3 of these in the 2500 size and one in a 4000 and couldn't be happier, normally around the $45 mark from various stores. Or a Penn Spinfisher ($149), (i use this with my $40 dinga jarvis)  >>Penn Spinfisher 4500 ssvi,  has a nice tick to it when something grabs the bait, havent had any issues with it, just wash it with fresh water and thats it.

Good Luck.

Thank you everyone for the replies and feedback, I really appreciate it and now have lots more food for thought! I purchased my BG 2000 from Dinga and was very happy with the service, will see what else they have that might suit.

So it seems the general consensus is a 4-6kg rod would be more appropriate than the 6-15kg and reel anywhere from 2500 to 5000 size. I probably don't go out more than a few times a year if I am lucky, I have a toddler who I've also just introduced to the hobby and enjoyed it immensely (tho, would prefer to stick with beach and not too keen on rock for safety factor).

The Rovex rod I found for $70 so probably stick to the upto ~$100 ball park for suitable rod, I'm not sure I'd get enough use to warrant $200+. As for the reel, my reading so far suggests ~100m is the furthest casting distance from shore, so how much spool capacity is sufficient? 200m, 300m? I am assuming less is best in that no point having a bunch of line that will never get used, but enough that if the fish runs away I don't run out of line?

8 minutes ago, smack19 said:

Thank you everyone for the replies and feedback, I really appreciate it and now have lots more food for thought! I purchased my BG 2000 from Dinga and was very happy with the service, will see what else they have that might suit.

So it seems the general consensus is a 4-6kg rod would be more appropriate than the 6-15kg and reel anywhere from 2500 to 5000 size. I probably don't go out more than a few times a year if I am lucky, I have a toddler who I've also just introduced to the hobby and enjoyed it immensely (tho, would prefer to stick with beach and not too keen on rock for safety factor).

The Rovex rod I found for $70 so probably stick to the upto ~$100 ball park for suitable rod, I'm not sure I'd get enough use to warrant $200+. As for the reel, my reading so far suggests ~100m is the furthest casting distance from shore, so how much spool capacity is sufficient? 200m, 300m? I am assuming less is best in that no point having a bunch of line that will never get used, but enough that if the fish runs away I don't run out of line?

yes, 200 odd meters at around 10-15lb is suitable or 235yds at 12lb and obviously less yds/metres for more lb weight of line or more lb and more line if running braid

remember in a decent wind you will be lucky to get out 50 odd meters or even less if its coming back towards the beach,  200m mark is good not to much not to little amount of line.

Be mindful that Daiwa's sizing (eg 3500, 4500, 6500) is different to Shimano's sizing. So a Daiwa 4500 is not necessarily mid between a Shimano 4000 and 5000, It is Probably bigger, like a 6000. In most of the Shimano reels the 4000 and 5000 are often the same size body however the 5000 will probably have a deeper spool for more line capacity and might have a different gear ratio and possibly a slightly bigger handle/handle knob. Similar deal with 2500/3000 reels and 6000/8000/10000 reels in some models.

I'd probably run a 5000 on the beach on a 12' 6-15kg rod for what you want. The Shimano Aerowave Graphite rods are fantastic value for money, If the Prevails are on special they are a similar deal.

20 hours ago, smack19 said:

Just be aware that 100m cast would depend on the gear and also the conditions you are fishing. I would not expect myself to have a 100m cast.

How much line would depend on the reel and line you buy for it. You'll need to look at the specs of the reel to show you how much line you can put. Regarding how much should you put, you want to get close to full, as a more full spool would give you a longer cast, but too full of a spool and if you don't cast it right, might end up with a bird nest.

Most reels will show you the rough measurements of how much you can put, not necessary how much you can safely put without a birdnest. 

Guest Guest123456789

The average beach whiting and bream will weigh less than 2kgs, your daiwa 2500 will be perfect. You can also use it as a back up for your estuary bream stick.

here is a shimano coastline 10 foot rod 3-5kgs which would be ideal for your reel and purpose:

https://www.dinga.com.au/shimano-catana-1062-coastline-light-spin-rod-3-2m-3-5kg-2pce.html

3 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

The average beach whiting and bream will weigh less than 2kgs, your daiwa 2500 will be perfect. You can also use it as a back up for your estuary bream stick.

here is a shimano coastline 10 foot rod 3-5kgs which would be ideal for your reel and purpose:

https://www.dinga.com.au/shimano-catana-1062-coastline-light-spin-rod-3-2m-3-5kg-2pce.html

And, when a 2kg tailor or salmon or Jewish happen to grab it and take off?

You'll be happy you have better line, spool capacity, a rod buikt to fight it (not break) and a reel up to the task.

For my money, unless you're only plan on targeting the smaller light fish like dart, whiting, bream? I'd head for a 12ft rod, with at least a 6000 size Shimano reel. Spool it up with some good braid and you can then play with lighter mono leader for smaller light fish or tie off some more robust leader for chasing bigger stuff.

Oh, and remember,it's not the weight of the fish, but it's fight, pulling power and effective 'load' on the rod and drag on the reel.

You can always back off the drag to fight a fish, but having it, knowing you can lock it down and pull back on the rod is a blessing when you hook up something of size. 

Guest Guest123456789
1 hour ago, Ah Me Ting said:

And, when a 2kg tailor or salmon or Jewish happen to grab it and take off?

You'll be happy you have better line, spool capacity, a rod buikt to fight it (not break) and a reel up to the task.

For my money, unless you're only plan on targeting the smaller light fish like dart, whiting, bream? I'd head for a 12ft rod, with at least a 6000 size Shimano reel. Spool it up with some good braid and you can then play with lighter mono leader for smaller light fish or tie off some more robust leader for chasing bigger stuff.

Read the brief again the mans not targeting jewfish or tailor. 

Also, feel what 2kg of drag is like through the guides and on the other end - it's quite a lot of pressure. Then couple with the terminal tackle you plan to use, I'm not sure you would need much more for light beach fishing. One thing to keep in mind with a larger reel would be line retrieve speed - you'll be able to get more line back per turn (generally), useful if fast retrieval is important.

So, thanks again to all for the help! I haven't yet decided but thanks to everyone's replies, I think I now have a better idea now of what I am after. Either I'll just use the BG 2500 that I have, or might see if the store will accept exchange for the BG 3000 instead. As for rods, searching so far I've found the likes of Daiwa Sweepfire and Crossfire or Shimano Catana and Maikuro to be in the 10.5'-12', 3-5kg/4-7kg range and $80 to $120 price so I guess it comes down to the hardware and action?

1 hour ago, smack19 said:

Daiwa Sweepfire and Crossfire or Shimano Catana and Maikuro to be in the 10.5'-12', 3-5kg/4-7kg range and $80 to $120 price so I guess it comes down to the hardware and action?

They are the lower end of the graphite rods by both reputable companies.

Im an aesthetics junkie. Thats what i would be going for haha

2 hours ago, smack19 said:

So, thanks again to all for the help! I haven't yet decided but thanks to everyone's replies, I think I now have a better idea now of what I am after. Either I'll just use the BG 2500 that I have, or might see if the store will accept exchange for the BG 3000 instead. As for rods, searching so far I've found the likes of Daiwa Sweepfire and Crossfire or Shimano Catana and Maikuro to be in the 10.5'-12', 3-5kg/4-7kg range and $80 to $120 price so I guess it comes down to the hardware and action?

All those models you've listed will do fine. If you want something a bit tougher then get a Gary Howard or if you can track one down the Alvey glas rod in mid mount.

A 3000 BG would suit the style of fishing better mate.

Other things you should get for beach fishing is a shoulder bag, a small tackle box and SS pliers!

If you need someone to fish with send me a PM and well sort something out.