Shimano Stradic 4000 corrosion

Had this reel (Stradic ci4+) for no more than 6 month for use on a boat. It started making a grinding noise that got progressively worse over the last 2 weeks. I pulled the reel apart today to find the clutch mechanism has rusted out. Compared to my Saragosa, there seems to be a lack of seal to keep water out. Which made me think is it just my bad luck or the Stradic is not intended as a salt water reel?

WeChat Image_20190503152241.jpg

WeChat Image_20190503152254.jpg

WeChat Image_20190503152318.jpg

• Sad 1

Saragosa is one of the best sealed reels on the market at that price point. The only other to compete is the Slammer 3.

The stradic on the other hand is not sealed to the same extent. You cannot treat the reels the same unfortunately.

The question what do you do after your finish using the reel?

I rinse my reel  after every use, inox bail arm rollers, handle joints every month or so. The other Shimano reel which I've had for much longer the Saragosa has been flawless. So I don't think it's maintenance related.  I did contact 
Shimano for warranty, they said because I opened the reel up the warranty is void, I can't argue with that. Ended up ordering a new clutch to sent to me, hopefully this one can keep the water out.

11 minutes ago, connico said:

Saragosa is one of the best sealed reels on the market at that price point. The only other to compete is the Slammer 3.

The stradic on the other hand is not sealed to the same extent. You cannot treat the reels the same unfortunately.

The question what do you do after your finish using the reel?

Agreed, I've serviced the saragosa, it's got complete gasket seal which the stradic is lacking. Also around the pinion shaft where water got into the stradic, the saragosa is much better sealed.

Warranty wont cover that as its not a manufacturing fault. 

Just lack of care and service. They arent sealed at all. Dont compare them to a saragosa or slammer because they have seals. 

Best to try to clean off rust/corrosion or replace the parts. Isnt too hard. 

I tend to service after a season of fishing. And thats when i start feeling the reels arent smooth anymore.

also when “rinsing reels. You could be just pushing the salt inside even more

Edited by xerotao

27 minutes ago, xerotao said:

Warranty wont cover that as its not a manufacturing fault. 

Just lack of care and service. They arent sealed at all. Dont compare them to a saragosa or slammer because they have seals. 

Best to try to clean off rust/corrosion or replace the parts. Isnt too hard. 

I tend to service after a season of fishing. And thats when i start feeling the reels arent smooth anymore.

also when “rinsing reels. You could be just pushing the salt inside even more

Yeah, when I get the clutch replaced I'll keep it at the back of boat where spray is minimal. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have had 2 of the original stradic Ci4 4000's and two shimano original rarenium ci4 2500 for over 5 years, fish them hard and never had an issue like that!

I have replaced the roller bearings on them a few times each but i cant figure out for the life of me how salt water managed to get in the anti revese bearings for you. (it has to get in under the spool, through the gap between the shaft and pinion gear mechanism and then into the anti reverse bearings). Are you sure a mate of yours didn't accidentally dunk the reel? 

I was always told not to use a fine mist spray. 

Agree with above, looks like its had a dunking. I clean my boat, under water camera gear, engine flush, trailer and all my fishing gear with salt-away.

Originally the Ci4 stradics werent marketed for salt water use. They were more for fresh, but everyone used them lightly for salt water use. I too use them for salt water but only in light applications (where it will not get hit with salt water typically). 

While it is not covered under warranty for a number of reasons including that you opened it, I would think that if you sent it into Shimano they could service/repair it and get it back to life. You will probably pay a service fee ($30 per spinning reel?) plus parts which are not normally that much unless you are buying a replacement spool. Since you already have the thing in 1000 pieces and seem that way inclined you could probably look up all of the part numbers of the dead bits from the schematic diagram and try to fix it yourself. I do this if i have several reels with small things to replace (eg line rollers, washers, simple stuff in older reels). They normally post the stuff out pretty quickly. Just call them and have the part numbers ready.

On 6/3/2019 at 11:49 AM, Rob81 said:

Originally the Ci4 stradics werent marketed for salt water use. They were more for fresh, but everyone used them lightly for salt water use. I too use them for salt water but only in light applications (where it will not get hit with salt water typically). 

Ok , but Shimano replaced Ci4 with Ci4+  stradics  in 2013, added extra sizes and then stated that it is for use in saltwater.

Yeah they changed the marketing afterwards with the Ci4+. Maybe cause they saw alot of ppl using it in salt water. But even still I use it lightly. I only use it on my squid setup where it is not likely to get wet from the salt water. Its a nice reel, Ill just be a little more careful around the salt with it.