Outboard servicing

Coswecanfly

I do all my own servicing on my 2010 135HP Honda and the parts alone cost me $500 for the full service kit from outboardspares, but being a Honda that's just how it is. Suzuki 140hp was around $350 for the service kits. If you are going to do it yourself, invest $20 or so and buy the official service manual online which you can then download and refer to whenever stuck. Most have complete and easy to follow instructions on doing a full 100h/1yr service. Dangar Marine Stu is an inspiration and him sharing his wealthy knowledge is greatly appreciated.

On 5/16/2019 at 8:26 PM, JonD said:

There are many things that are simply overkill which dealers charge for. If you have an inline  fuel filter then why change the small expensive one under the cowling.  Plugs are replaced every 500- 600 hrs ( not every service) genuine Yamaha impellers are good for at least 200hrs on regularly used outboards. Anodes on the powerhead are cleaned on each service but yet to be replaced, the other anodes are getting close to a change. He works very efficiently, oil, filter and gearbox oil replaced every service and leg dropped to lube shafts and replace impeller every second service.

I had a steering cable seize which he replaced in 10-15mis with no charge ( labour). He did my mates 300 Suzuki which normally runs to $1300-$1500 per service, his price $450. 

How do you clean the anodes?  I pulled mine out last service and they were caked in salt/calcium.  I couldnt get it off so I replaced them.

5 hours ago, Fishop said:

How do you clean the anodes?  I pulled mine out last service and they were caked in salt/calcium.  I couldnt get it off so I replaced them.

Use a small fine wire brush after scraping the bulk off with a knife.

13 hours ago, JonD said:

Use a small fine wire brush after scraping the bulk off with a knife.

I read somewhere not to use a wire brush.  This was after I soaked it in vinegar and used a wire brush.  haha. Got most of it off but was still a layer of salt/calcium a few mm thick that wouldnt come off.  One was still in original "shape" but the other two had large chunks eroded off them so I just replaced them all.

I check my 2016 Evinrude with the Diagnostic Tool Kit With Chip CP2102 For Evinrude E-Tec (Obtained from Ebay for around $100) it is a good piece of mind to check if everything is ok. So far I have not seen a problem except for an overspeed error which was easy to a just, If I see problem I would take it to a mechanic so far touch wood. The program is good because it shows the default settings and your engine.

image.png.31a4d18fc2a33717b68fdee7947e6913.png

• Like 2

On 5/23/2019 at 11:00 AM, Plethora said:

I check my 2016 Evinrude with the Diagnostic Tool Kit With Chip CP2102 For Evinrude E-Tec (Obtained from Ebay for around $100) it is a good piece of mind to check if everything is ok. So far I have not seen a problem except for an overspeed error which was easy to a just, If I see problem I would take it to a mechanic so far touch wood. The program is good because it shows the default settings and your engine.

Do you have a link to the kit as I have the 2016 Etec 115hp and would like to see this stuff.

42 minutes ago, Plethora said:

It also comes with the EVINRUDE WORKSHOP - SERVICE REPAIR MANUALS 

That’s great value for piece of mind, just had my third service   & the mechanic was blown away by my low rev readings (long days trolling at Jindabyne) here’s a screen shot09529CB7-5E44-4DFA-8D73-2B45B3F32AA3.thumb.jpeg.d0ddce4e0780fd8ea778f86f41cc78ca.jpegdamn Etecs so cheap to run & I’ve had mine since 2010 & only had one issue 👍😎👍

• 1 month later...
On 5/27/2019 at 9:28 AM, 61 crusher said:

... just had my third service   & the mechanic was blown away by my low rev readings (long days trolling at Jindabyne) here’s a screen shot09529CB7-5E44-4DFA-8D73-2B45B3F32AA3.thumb.jpeg.d0ddce4e0780fd8ea778f86f41cc78ca.jpeg....

Now, hang on a sec, don't go distracting us from the fun stuff...

Tells us about those high rev times. Jumping waves, wake, perhaps?

• Like 1