Where do poddies go in winter?

Koalaboi

Hi,

Around my way the poddies have vacated their usual haunts. Perhaps, like those of us watching Game of Thrones, they've heard that winter is coming. I've noticed this in previous years: they just seem to fade away around now. Mind you, the bigger mullet have been schooling near the mouth of Tuggerah Lake and seem to be waiting for the opportunity to head to the sea to be netted by pros (their 4WDs are parked at various spots along the beach lately) so their eggs can be sold to the Japanese and their flesh sent off to Qld to be turned into cat food.

I asked an old Aboriginal Uncle, a pro fisherman and oyster farmer, and he reckons they head up the rivers towards the fresh.

Any ideas or observations?

KB

Edited by Koalaboi
Grammar, punctuation and spelling
  • Like 2

Hi,

I rode to work this morning around Tuggerah Lake on the bike track and saw what I am pretty sure to be lots of poddy schools in the shallows.

I normally look for them around Long Jetty which in summer, is quite sheltered from the predominantly SE to NE winds. With the westerlies now in full swing, the eastern shore of the lake is quite open, the bottom stirred up with lots of weed washed in.

Just wondering if the poddies tend to move to the sheltered sections of water during the seasons?

KB

Edited by Koalaboi
Spelling, punctuation and grammar
  • Like 1