Will electric outboards replace petrol?

Guest Guest123456789

You will need a long extension cord though! until battery charging becomes much faster, and batteries become lighter and last longer, then electric outboards are a long way off. Don't be confused about electric cars, they are not free to run, you have to plug them into a charger, that's connected to the standard power grid, that's connected to an old fashioned "dirty" power station, so, unless you can wait for a day or so to recharge from a solar setup, then you are not really in front, yet! there is progress made in efficiency, but, it's slow going so far.

• Like 1

Hi,

The guy across the road from me covered his roof in Solar panels to start with, cost him $$$$$$$$$$$. He then bought an electric car. Found out he had to buy a charger and a few other things more $$$$$$$$$$$. It takes eight hours to charge the car and it is only a small Nissian. I don't think many of us will see electric outboards.

Cheers.

I reckon give it 5 to 10 years and a lot of new boats will have them. The transition change over for existing boats will be very slow though and would only really be driven by the price of petrol eventually becoming unsustainably high due to the changes in the car market. 

Personally I could see it having some real benefits once the technology gets there. Would be a lot quieter, easy to fill up at home without having to go to a service station all the time, no fumes etc. With both cars and boats people are certainly going to have to get used to stepping over extension cords all over the place.

Rich

Its like all these stories I see about electric 4X4 vehicles, your up sh@t creek when your miles from nowhere & something goes wrong 

Also If they want to effect change then make it available to all for a cheap price, until then fuel rules!

Weren't we supposed to have colonies on Mars & the Moon by now??

In other words don't hold your breath!!

Just my 2 cents worth batteries degrade with use and are costly to replace imagine your mincoda with enough juice to drive a 6mtr glass boat at 30 knots. There is Hydrogen technology which would be ideal for boats but it wont be developed because there is no ongoing profit from consumables (fuel or power storage)  

3 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Its like all these stories I see about electric 4X4 vehicles, your up sh@t creek when your miles from nowhere & something goes wrong 

How will people get on towing a caravan or heavy boat around the country? Will be many stops to travel across the Nullarbor. Minimal electricity across there, where will the charging stations obtain their power supply?

Can see it now, fights at the electricity charging stations - "I was here first" - "You're taking too long to charge".

7 hours ago, Rebel said:

Hi,

The guy across the road from me covered his roof in Solar panels to start with, cost him $$$$$$$$$$$. He then bought an electric car. Found out he had to buy a charger and a few other things more $$$$$$$$$$$. It takes eight hours to charge the car and it is only a small Nissian. I don't think many of us will see electric outboards.

Cheers.

and if he is charging at night....all those panels are not doing much for him either.....storage batteries then even more $$$$$$$$$$$$'s

7 hours ago, Mr Squidy said:

I reckon give it 5 to 10 years and a lot of new boats will have them. The transition change over for existing boats will be very slow though and would only really be driven by the price of petrol eventually becoming unsustainably high due to the changes in the car market. 

Personally I could see it having some real benefits once the technology gets there. Would be a lot quieter, easy to fill up at home without having to go to a service station all the time, no fumes etc. With both cars and boats people are certainly going to have to get used to stepping over extension cords all over the place.

Rich

hydrogen motor technology and plenty of water to drive it....won't need a tank....your floating in one....

Trouble with Hydrogen is safety, might be great for experiments and rockets, and you need to make the Hydrogen, and the only way so far to do that requires electricity, and plenty of it.

Edited by noelm
Typo

Price needs to drop a long way too before electric motors and associated batteries become 'mainstream'.

If I'm reading the information on that website linked in the OP correctly, a 40hp equivalent electric motor is about €15,000 and the batteries another €12,000. I assume wiring and installation is on top of that, so let's say €30,000 all up. At current currency rates, that's a mere $48,486 😲

Edited by Ah Me Ting
Fat fingers strike again!

On 5/14/2019 at 6:13 AM, noelm said:

Trouble with Hydrogen is safety, might be great for experiments and rockets, and you need to make the Hydrogen, and the only way so far to do that requires electricity, and plenty of it.

Ammonia is the new tech. for hydrogen....much safer and cheaper to do....I think Toyota is doing a fair bit in this direction....also those of you that are company share tended....Australia has a lot of ammonia manufacturer capability so investing this way would be a good idea going forward....

Jim

21 minutes ago, jot said:

Ammonia is the new tech. for hydrogen....much safer and cheaper to do....I think Toyota is doing a fair bit in this direction....also those of you that are company share tended....Australia has a lot of ammonia manufacturer capability so investing this way would be a good idea going forward....

Jim

Korea already has Hydrogen buses and are looking at adopting it for their trains. Hyundai already have a Hydrogen car in Australia. They're just waiting for the Governemnt to sign off on them.

Just had a trip down to Melbourne.

We hired what would be a 5.5 metre boat and loaded it with  with 6 adults and a couple of Eskies. We travelled up and down the Yarra for 2 hours with an electric motor. It went well and travelled at about 4 knots

Very quiet and the operator told us he get 9 hours from a full charge.