Wooli- Day 1+2+3+4+5

Scratchie

Gday raiders, 

Left the beauty of Port Stephens this morning and headed north with my good mate Dom for a weeks fishing in Wooli. 

Arrived at 11am, and headed straight out to the breakwall to check the bar. Not much water so we checked in, got our gear ready and waited a while. 

With pretty sloppy seas and breezy conditions we pushed on and gave the bar a crack! This is not for the faint hearted nor the inexperienced but once we got out we were hoping the seas would settle down. This was not the case and we slowly made our way north to target snapper, all the while drifting a livey behind us! 

Anyway, put in two and half solid hours and managed 2 Mac tuna, I got a solid snapper, Dom managed a screaming longtail and we got dusted a few times by what we think were Spanish! 

5A268801-520D-472C-93B4-5762A4CA04D8.thumb.jpeg.e03b0853a02f2948759282551b59763d.jpegA5010739-AEDA-4F02-B6A9-94862393DB8D.thumb.jpeg.2ea890ffca4e0f5cbc57d3cc7f958b41.jpeg

Keep your eye for day 2 tomorrow! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Wooli would have to be one of, if not THE, shallowest bars to cross on the East coast.

If Wooli bar is a bit sketchy the beach launch at Minnie Waters is generally a lot safer. Some seriously good, BIG, very capable offshore fishing boats, get launched from there.

Have you got all the 'green' aka "no fish" zones for the area? They use a lot of aerial surveillance up that way.

+1 for jealousy.

• Like 1

Day 2........

Well the seas were much kinder to us today! And what an absolute insane day on the water! 

Started by catching live bait and having spotties pull them off our rigs. So while we were collecting out went one and hand fed by Dom and in comes a nice spotted mackerel. Then it was my turn, bloody Mac tuna. Then I finally get one. That’s my first spotties so ticked that box. 

We worked the area for a while and Dom scores a nice 15kg plus longtail which was returned. 

Now, we only use one live bait at a time and take turns fighting the fish! It’s fair to say today was Doms day and didn’t he score some crackers! Spotties, 15kg longtail, 17kg Spanish, 5-6kg yellow fin tuna and best of all a 30kg wahoo that went berserk. While I scored a Mac tuna on nearly every hook up! 😩 

But all in all, who cares! What a cracking day out there! 16B522E2-A7F5-4546-9F6C-9CE0A91BD6C1.thumb.jpeg.7ec305f251e20b3aa6f9559b2f36c75d.jpeg

• Like 12

Cough, cough!  I’m not feeling very well and don’t think I will be able to make it to work tomorrow.

I’m sure I do feel well enough though to go out the back, connect the boat, drive all night and fish all day for a couple of days..  see you in the morning!

Very envious.  A very beautiful part of the world.  Enjoy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fish_More said:

Cough, cough!  I’m not feeling very well and don’t think I will be able to make it to work tomorrow.

I’m sure I do feel well enough though to go out the back, connect the boat, drive all night and fish all day for a couple of days..  see you in the morning!

Very envious.  A very beautiful part of the world.  Enjoy.

Haha, see ya in the morning! 👍

Just now, rippinlips said:

30 kg wahoo is insane...the first run must have had the reel smoking. Fish of a life time for sure. I guess motto for second day was "wire trace is good!!!!!"

That first run was crazy! We measured from hook up to where we ended up was about 360m. Always use wire traces up here! 

2 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

That's insane. I admit i am very jealous boys but also very happy for you fellas well done 

Cheers Sam! When you talk about epic fishing trips, it’s great to know we are in that moment now! 👍👍👍

21 hours ago, Ah Me Ting said:

Wooli would have to be one of, if not THE, shallowest bars to cross on the East coast.

If Wooli bar is a bit sketchy the beach launch at Minnie Waters is generally a lot safer. Some seriously good, BIG, very capable offshore fishing boats, get launched from there.

Have you got all the 'green' aka "no fish" zones for the area? They use a lot of aerial surveillance up that way.

+1 for jealousy.

Thanks for your concerns mate but it’s not the first time fishing here and I think we’ve got things pretty covered! 

• Like 1