Wooli- Day 1+2+3+4+5

Scratchie

26 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Out of interest what was the rod/reel/line/rig used on that one please?? 

Talica 25 with 15kg mono. About a meter of 80lb leader and 86lb wire trace with a stinger treble! The reel is spooled with about 500m. Scary when you are losing more than half of that! 

• Thanks 2

WoW!!! Now that's a nice Wahoo, beats my best by about 8 kg, I have never fished that area and you are making me feel like I have missed out on something. What a great days fishing, and more to come.

Frank

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yowie said:

Another great day, some very nice fish, much better than down here.

A mate took me out fishing last night off Cronulla and it was tailor only. :angry2:

Definitely a different environment up here. The locals are saying their sick of mackerel. Haha 😂 (I’m not)

3 hours ago, LuckyFil said:

Ditto to all the other comments - outstanding range and size of fish!

Do you have to think about ciguatera up there with the bigger fish e.g. the wahoo?

Cheers

Fil

It’s something that obviously is of caution but there hasn’t been any reported case lately so I hope I’m not the first! 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, frankS said:

WoW!!! Now that's a nice Wahoo, beats my best by about 8 kg, I have never fished that area and you are making me feel like I have missed out on something. What a great days fishing, and more to come.

Frank

It sure is a special place Frank! You don’t need to work as hard for the bite but the fish absolutely give your rod, reel and knots a workout! 

Day 3......

Today was a lazy start and we didn’t hit the bait grounds until 7. The wind was a bit strong from the south which made for a little lumpy conditions than we were hoping! But we pushed on, decided to stay in close and grabbed some bait. I was first up and managed a nice Spanish. We boated another 3 spotties before the wind blew us off the water. Seen a water spout offshore which vindicated our decision to stay close! 

Back at the ramp before 10 with plenty of filleting to do. 

E14B71EE-C40E-47D3-AA2F-532E2C7553C1.thumb.png.2819fa1e1568f7f3cd6122117b4ae84a.pngCheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Thanks champ! Not many snapper up here at the moment, too many big toothy things! Haha 

Don't worry about the snapper I wanna add some of the stuff your getting up there to my list especially the yellowfin, just like Rick I'm jealous

Woodsy

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mr Squidy said:

What a trip, well done guys, thats some insane fishing. I'd love to see a water spout one day but would prefer not to be watching from the boat haha.

Rich

Cheers Rich. We watched it form and intensify. Pretty cool at a distance! 

1 hour ago, Mr Squidy said:

What a trip, well done guys, thats some insane fishing. I'd love to see a water spout one day but would prefer not to be watching from the boat haha.

Rich

Not all that common, but quite a few have popped up off Sydney over the years, usually when a cold change hits the warmer air.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Definitely a different environment up here. The locals are saying their sick of mackerel. Haha 😂 (I’m not)

Caught a small spottie inside Port Hacking many years ago, and it was one of the tastiest fish I have ever eaten.

• Like 1

think you are pretty safe on the Wahoo, being more of an open water predator than Spannies they dont tend to bioaccumulate the same toxins as fish that are more on the coral such as Spannies. Good work, still working through a freezer full of fillets myself from Coffs , havent been for a fish in 2 months!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Yowie said:

Not all that common, but quite a few have popped up off Sydney over the years, usually when a cold change hits the warmer air.

Yeah, remember hearing there was a small one a few years back that came in shore and damaged some boats in Gunnamatta bay.

Day 4.......Only for the dedicated!!!

Woke up to the sound of rain hammering the tin roof of the cabin, then heard Dom’s  bedroom door open up and I was waiting for it “let’s go fishing champ”. Haha, you don’t have to ask me twice! 

Headed out the bar which was relatively easy today and filled up with bait. 

The plan today was to tick one box we’ve been wanting to for some time now and that was a Cobia. 

We hit our mark and deployed our liveys. 5 minutes later I can hear Dom’s rod screaming, the weight loads up and now the battle begins. Under control and not far from the boat, pop! And there goes the target! Tried for an another but the persistent rain and wind were wreaking havoc so we move and tried another spot. No luck there and with conditions deteriorating we opted for some high speed trolling and then back to the mackerel grounds. No luck doing that either and it seems everything just shut down. So we decided to pull stumps and head for home! 9 hours of being rained on in lumpy and windy conditions were enough and we were really looking forward to that hot shower! 

Tomorrow is yet another day!!! 

BDF0A9D0-1528-4875-9E84-C0107B3CDDFA.jpeg.881427b101c9d02a9f6b85e50cdff1d4.jpeg1D65ED4C-95D4-4516-9760-256559C7E78A.thumb.jpeg.3cc7ffdc4b59555c1601eabe6ea829ec.jpeg

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

@Scratchie You want a cobia? Come back home... I’m sure Hammers got one behind the big island the other day. 😉

The fishing is that good Baz I’m never coming home! Lol He didn’t get it, his mate did! And yes, there’s been plenty in Port S, just one fish that has eluded me! There’s always tomorrow! 

• Like 1