Wooli- Day 1+2+3+4+5

Scratchie

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Day 4.......Only for the dedicated!!!

Woke up to the sound of rain hammering the tin roof of the cabin, then heard Dom’s  bedroom door open up and I was waiting for it “let’s go fishing champ”. Haha, you don’t have to ask me twice! 

Headed out the bar which was relatively easy today and filled up with bait. 

The plan today was to tick one box we’ve been wanting to for some time now and that was a Cobia. 

We hit our mark and deployed our liveys. 5 minutes later I can hear Dom’s rod screaming, the weight loads up and now the battle begins. Under control and not far from the boat, pop! And there goes the target! Tried for an another but the persistent rain and wind were wreaking havoc so we move and tried another spot. No luck there and with conditions deteriorating we opted for some high speed trolling and then back to the mackerel grounds. No luck doing that either and it seems everything just shut down. So we decided to pull stumps and head for home! 9 hours of being rained on in lumpy and windy conditions were enough and we were really looking forward to that hot shower! 

Tomorrow is yet another day!!! 

Your living the dream mate. I'd rather be on the boat getting rained on instead of being in the office. 

Just so my envy knows....how many more days left on this trip 😂😂😂

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Your living the dream mate. I'd rather be on the boat getting rained on instead of being in the office. 

Just so my envy knows....how many more days left on this trip 😂😂😂

Thanks Sam! Tomorrow is the last day and then back to reality! 

17 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Thanks Sam! Tomorrow is the last day and then back to reality! 

Don't you have when that 'reality' bug starts to bite 😔

Still its all about the moment, good times & memories.

Looks like you have created a lot of great ones on this trip :thumbup:

• Like 1

6B838094-8A93-4DF0-A82D-6FF80D75FC67.thumb.jpeg.3ee1c03ab8bb6fae4603143b5f6bf378.jpegDay 5.....

Up at the usual time and on the water to collect live bait early. 

Plan- try one more time to catch that elusive Cobia. 

We could have stayed on the mackerel grounds and bagged out but with enough fish already we really wanted that target. We tried hard for 4 hours but once again it has eluded us! Left early for the long haul home.

Still a nice day in the water, ticked a few boxes and learnt a heap along the way! 

Thanks for putting up with my posts! 

Monday might see me back on MY snapper grounds! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 6

Thanks for supplying the regular write-ups of the trip to Wooli. Great reading. Shame that you didn't get the Cobia too but that's fishing for you. Pity you have to downgrade to Snapper fishing at Port Stephens next week but somebody has to do it. Safe travels and cheers, bn

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Have you tried wilsons  jeff  good spot for cobes

No we didn’t this! Need to leave a few spots up our sleeves! 

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

Thanks for supplying the regular write-ups of the trip to Wooli. Great reading. Shame that you didn't get the Cobia too but that's fishing for you. Pity you have to downgrade to Snapper fishing at Port Stephens next week but somebody has to do it. Safe travels and cheers, bn

Thanks BN! It was an amazing trip that’s for sure! 

55 minutes ago, Rebel said:

You guys are blessed and some.

Cheers.

Haha, thanks! The body don’t feel blessed right now 😩

6 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Don't you have when that 'reality' bug starts to bite 😔

Still its all about the moment, good times & memories.

Looks like you have created a lot of great ones on this trip :thumbup:

Absolutely, certainly a trip we’ll never forget! 

amazing stuff mate... Haven't been up that way as of yet. I hang south of the harbour bridge and anywhere over it ill need a visa haha. Seems like amazing fishing up there, Ill have to come up one day and bag a few myself.

• Like 1

Were you getting your live bait out at the island ?  I'm usually late getting out there so find them difficult to find, never seems to be a problem catching a few fish on lures though.

5 hours ago, Ah Me Ting said:

Where'd you stay? 

The 'resort'?

Yes

39 minutes ago, JonD said:

Were you getting your live bait out at the island ?  I'm usually late getting out there so find them difficult to find, never seems to be a problem catching a few fish on lures though.

No, just straight out front. Only got one yft on lures and one on top water. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
7 hours ago, beernuts said:

hey guys any ideas or areas marks etc would be helpful.   Heading out from Wooli next few weeks

If you have navionics then you shouldn't have any problem finding fish. There are numerous reefs both to the north and straight out around from the bar. The offshore side of the north solitary island has plenty of all species. The fad is marked on the charts and often has wahoo hunting the dolphin fish around it, also the bottom around the fad has always been good for trag when I've fished there. 

Edited by JonD
  • Like 2