Lawrrrence

Nelson Bay Breakwall

Went out this morning at 6:30am to the point on Nelson Bay Breakwall. Was a slow start with lots of schools of baitfish swimming around, was throwing peeled prawns on my 1-4kg Shimano Jewel and 3000 stradic Fk (8lb power pro) pulled in 2 legal bream 26cm and 29cm. The others were 27cm tailor, 28cm snapper, 26cm snapper, 3 other snapper ranging from 15-24 a couple baby bream and I think it was a baby drummer. Have had success there before with decent leather jacket. A trawler was on it's way in the marina as a school of something huuuge was swimming around the rocks, my misses hooked one but it busted off and 2 minutes later this guy on the trawler boat comes back on a smaller boat did a few circles and scared them all back out and went back in to the trawler. I was thinking what the hell.

• Like 3

At least you had a go.

Sounds like a good morning, maybe a school of kings?

Probably kings. Did you berley for the bream? Worth doing at this time.

Yeah it was good fun and a great morning, I don't know if it was kings or bonito or mullet I'll go with what you gents recon, They were all about 50cm + there were about 100 of them in 2 groups and yeah I guess, I had a bag of rotten prawns and was half using half throwing, went down to the fish shop and got some cooked prawns and used them instead and they were pretty good, I had to use quite a heavy sinker the fish were biting further down than I thought they would but I'm still learning I'll get there.

• Like 1

Could of been mullet, I was on lake Mac the other day and came across a few big schools, caught a couple on lures hoping for a Jew underneath them, I had a fairly big setup and they were pulling hard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter Nelson said:

Could of been mullet, I was on lake Mac the other day and came across a few big schools, caught a couple on lures hoping for a Jew underneath them, I had a fairly big setup and they were pulling hard.

Hi Peter what lure did you get the mullet on (didn’t know they took lures) I’ve caught the odd one on bread and they do pull hard especially the big ones, were the hooks in the mouth or were they foul hooked cheers 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Hi Peter what lure did you get the mullet on (didn’t know they took lures) I’ve caught the odd one on bread and they do pull hard especially the big ones, were the hooks in the mouth or were they foul hooked cheers 

I was trying different plastics  at the start trying for anything that might of been under the mullet but no luck.

Swapped to a really small chrome lure and was mouth hooking 50%, hooked a few in the side but released those .

I hear people catch them just on a shiny hook with no bait.

On 5/15/2019 at 5:18 PM, Peter Nelson said:

I was trying different plastics  at the start trying for anything that might of been under the mullet but no luck.

Swapped to a really small chrome lure and was mouth hooking 50%, hooked a few in the side but released those .

I hear people catch them just on a shiny hook with no bait.

Thanks for that when you say really small chrome metal I’m assuming a 10g halco 

Mullet on lure is pretty rare but it could be these ones are acting differently because they are in a spawning aggregation.

Perhaps their tendency is to snap at small fish that might eat their eggs when finally released.