STICKBAIT & POPPING COMBO ADVICE

REEL ADDICT

Hey All,

Looking to put together a combo I can use for stickbaits and poppers on the reefs just off Yeppoon. We do an annual trip there for 2 weeks a year, but I also want to be able to use the rod through the year for various applications around Moreton. Thinking a Demon Blood V2 792 XH and pairing it with a Saltiga 15 4500H OR 4000H. This would give me a rod I could throw medium to large stick baits on and still fish for Tuna, Mackies and Snapper on (maybe a bit heavy but could do it). The reel would be light enough (though still powerful) to use around Moreton but is it too light for Yeppoon (do I need to go to the 5K OR 6K?) Most GT's you might hit up that way are 8-12kgs so while I recognize I might be light for a 20-30kg pelagic I am not overly concerned about that because that action is minimal. Guess what I am asking for is some confirmation this combo will cover both my needs or any feedback on why it won't and what you might recommend instead.

Cheers

I'm not sure what size/weight lures you are intending on casting but that model seems to be spec'd for 90-230gram which is a pretty heavy cast weight range, meaning it will probably be very stiff for smaller/lighter lures. I think that sounds pretty heavy to be using for snapper. if you go a bit lighter in cast weight you will probably have a rod that is alot more versatile, it just wont be able to throw the monster poppers as far. For context the 195mm Halco Rooster Haymaker (the big popper) is 117grams. You may need a stiff rod to work some of the very aggressive cup faced poppers but once again having a rod that specifically copes with this application will limit it's versatility for stickbaits and plastics.