Sign in to follow this  
Lawrrrence

Lake Illawarra - windang foreshore, breakwall and tuggerah bay jetty

Took my car down for a service at wollongong and brought my rod along, headed down to windang foreshore and was throwing frozen prawns on my 1-4kg jewel - stradic 3000fk 8lb braid, just getting small flathead. Moved over to the breakwall and there was so many huge fish in the water I just couldn't hook them but I did get a 30cm wrasse looking thing. Moved onto tuggerah bay jetty just to have a try and got a small yakka, heaps of small bream and a small tailor... half way through my last bag of prawns got a 40cm flathead so quite happy with that, I think that lake must be full of them if you know where to go, very shallow and sandy all along the edges.

The huge fish you couldn't hook would be Mullet, not too sure about Tuggerah Bay?

48 minutes ago, noelm said:

The huge fish you couldn't hook would be Mullet, not too sure about Tuggerah Bay?

It must have been mullet and something else because the schools looked like different fish.

And yeah I wasn't to sure about tuggerah bay jetty as well, I was using Google satellite to have a look at lake illawarra to find somewhere to fish and saw that big jetty and decided to try it. Its bloody shallow though 2ft of water, lots of small stuff and that surprise 40cm flathead. Lots of weed there too but I didn't have a problem with it.

Very common to have big schools of Mullet in the lake at this time of the year, they are ready to make their "run"up the coast, those jetties are good spots for Blue Swimmer crabs too.

• Like 1