Ramsgate Beach 16/5/19

LandBasedKeith

Nice weather, low wind (12km/h)blowing outward, semi cloudy. Got to Ramsgate Beach about 2pm, almost missed the low tides to pickup some cabbage off the rocks. Managed to get a handful without getting my shoes wet. The weather was calm the last 2 days so the water should be reasonably clear.  But, when i get there, the water is brownish with debris but clear enough i guess . Still low tide and in the afternoon, not expecting any bite...yet. Got 2 rods out, one with a float rig and other with a paternoster rig. The rest is just waiting... Got bored so flick a few hard lures out with a jig rod to see if anything out there - nothing. I would really like to flick a soft lure for flathead but forget to replenish my stock since i lost the last one last week - i am quite sure there is one or two flathead out there.

After half an hour of waiting, the float rig is the first to score - a 29cm blackfish. Then later, 2x29cm and 1x31cm blackfishes with the paternoster rigs. The big one didn't come in until high tides and just before sun set. My shoes got wet but it is well worth it, one 35cm then a lucky last 38cm all on the paternoster rig. The sun is already down and i am on my last cabbages, no more bites so time to clean up and goes home.

Having another bash at it tomorrow afternoon as the condition should be even better than today and expect better result!? 

IMG_2952[1].jpg

• Like 6

9 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

An old girlfriend of mine got one on a handline with sinker and trace using squirt worm for bait

Caught many in my younger days on squirt worms, blood worms, live shrimp, small live prawns, nippers. Also caught them on bread, and a few on floating bread crusts. 2 caught at night on salted tuna strips while fishing for bream, and one on a metal lure spun over the weed beds.

Expect the un-expected.

Edited by Yowie