Sydney Kings still around

Pickles

Went out with Evan Reelcrazy early in the week. 

. Kings are still around in the harbour, but starting to slow down a bit. We went on Monday and tried a downrig from Nth Head to Blues point without any luck at all so headed inside the Heads.

Monday was a great tide, but solunar tables suggested a poor day for fishing (beats mowing the lawns). It wasn’t too cold and wind had dropped compared to the previous week. The air pressure was 1023 hp  and water temp 21, which was really great and there were plenty of squid around off the kelp beds.

The squid are getting bigger as winter approaches and quite a few cuttlies mixed in with them, although we didn’t get any on Monday.

They were really finicky and We ended up “catching”  11, but boating 7. The first few were on live Yakkas ( also getting finicky) and 7/0 hooks, but they wised up quickly and were even turning their noses up at the squid.

We ended up getting them on no 6 hooks and 10lb (hence many were not boated),

all released.

Sorry only pics. Are of the sounder showing heaps of Kingies under the boat at 12-20m depth. Hope  info might be helpful to those thinking of hanging up the rods for winter (don’t as this is when the big boys come out to play)

96F5BBBC-42B3-4279-8C54-197ED9E72157.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
Forgot water temp and air pressure
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for a great report, im heading out tomorrow and expect a lot of traffic with the weather being so perfect. 

Last week the squid were really on, but as you said the yakkas are really hard at the moment. I dont know why they are very shy and not in the usual spots i get them, strange one..

Were any of your kings keepers or were they rats? I know you got busted off on the light gear but just wondering if you could have had a feed if you wanted.

Cheers