First report in awhile

Hadn't had a LB squid for about 9 months, so checked Willy weather and Sunday looked like pretty good conditions. So woke up 5:45 and headed to Bare Island. It must've been good conditions coz when I got there, there was already about half a dozen squidders there already. 

Started on the mainland. Tossed 2.5s for about 45 min with no return. A guy near me pulled in a small one, but that was all I saw.  Was beginning to wonder if I should've stayed in bed.

Thought I might give Bare Is. a go. There were a couple guys there already and the had picked up nada.

The predicted swell was .5m but I reckon it was was over double that. I walked to the edge to cast between waves then step back a few metres to avoid getting wet. 

After about 20 min felt a dead weight on the rod and began to reel in. Wasn't sure if it was a squid or just a ball of weed. In my experience once a squid is hooked it usually comes to the surface pretty quick, so was scanning the water and saw nothing.  But then the weight began that beautiful pulse! Squid on! About 5 metres from shore to finally surfaced, but I was on about a 1m ledge and didn't want to risk a dead lift.

Looking back it's probably a good thing the swell was bigger than predicted  as I used it to land the squid. Must bring my net next time

It was a 30cm hood.

Soaked it in a crushed Kiwi fruit as I read somewhere that this tenderises the squid and boy it works a treat. Squid was definitely not chewy and I'm not that good a cook!

Did half with sweet chilli sauce and half salt and pepper.

Only downside was a lost a jig. But that downside had an upside as I bought three more from Dinga at 25% off!!

Thanks for reading

Richard

• Like 4