Sign in to follow this  
Lawrrrence

Nelson Breakwall Again

Headed down there at 3:30am to try and get some squid, the guy at the fish shop said the day before the young lad who worked there got 42 in the morning anyhow I got none, my mate John got 3 in about 5 hours lol. An old man was there in his Akubra hat and full fish overalls with his 2 alveys set up fishing fresh nippers I believe, he pulled up a massive bream I mean huuuge and about a 2kg trevally I heard (he was fishing towards the police boats), at the time I was on the point flicking prawns as usual on my 1-4kg jewel - 3000 stradic. I pulled up and dropped decent bream and trevally on the rocks, but I did walk away with 3 nice bream 1 trevally and 2 solid leather jacket. I also caught a stingray which nearly broke my rod he fell off as I went to lift him to unhook him so I was happy with that. As usual towards ocean side of the wall, plenty of schools of baitfish and plenty of schools of kingfish feeding on them travelling the wall up and down. There was also snapper on the point but nothing bagable today. Trevally are good fighters that was high light of the day for me.

• Like 2

Did you try for the kingfish ? 

No Volitan, I only take one rod with me when I go and it was fitted with 8lb braid, so I'm pretty sure I would of got busted up or spooled if I did manage to hook one. I'm not that proficient yet and I haven't brought a bigger rod and reel for bigger fish yet, I only try to get the bread and butter stuff. There's so many schools of baitfish there too, if I did try for a kingfish would it be better to live bait for it or use a soft plastic and a jighead or one of those hardbody surface lure things ???I doubt I'd hook one on the peeled prawn I try to catch bream with lol.

I've caught king fish on prawns and pillies :P

• Haha 1