Great day at the FAD so why are they bringing them in?!?!

Mr Squidy

With perfect offshore conditions of low swell, low wind and good water temperature a mate and I decided to make the mission out to the Hacking FAD on Sunday just gone. Started out a frustrating morning with a dead battery necessitating a trip back home to grab a battery out of a car and jumper leads to get us going. Bait then proved impossible to find at all our normal spots with no yellow tail anywhere either inside the Hacking or out front. Having picked my mate up at 6am we finally made the call at about 10.15am that we couldn't stuff around any longer would head to the FAD with no livies and fish lures and pillies.

From this moment onwards though our luck turned and only a couple of km out we hit warmer water (24 degrees) with bait on the sounder and gannets diving everywhere. Within about 5min we had 15 or so slimies on board and were back on our way. 

Hitting the fad we about 11am we found only two other boats there and could immediately see dollies free jumping. livie's in and within about 20 seconds I was hooked up to a nice dollie going 80cm. A minute latter and Dan's on to a 70cm fish. We had only been able to keep 4 alive due to not having a live bait tank on my boat but thankfully the fresh dead baits were also smashed and within an hour or so we had converted our 15 odd baits into about a dozen fish. After that we changed to pillies and soft plastics and landed a few more but the bites certainly slowed substantially. End result of about 2hrs fishing was 15 keepers with most ranging between 70-80cm and three or four throw backs that might have made 60cm but weren't worth keeping given the esky full of fish. An absolutely fantastic days fishing. 

20190519_132804.thumb.jpg.9320f6389807ebd7d65ecf7203ac03e8.jpg

We had spectacular conditions all day and I find this consistently occurs at this time of year as the mild days and warm water mean that the sea breeze doesn't come up like it does through summer. Topped of with the fact that the river usually really starts to slow down around this time, its this reason that I usually look to do a trip or two off shore at this time each year. Before heading out I had checked the DPI website just to make sure the FAD was out there where its supposed (long way to go to find its missing haha). Thankfully the FAD was there but I was surprised to see that many of the Sydney FAD's had already been brought in. Checking today and the hacking FAD is now also gone. So, given this is the best time of year for smaller boats to get out to these locations, the water temperature out there is still up around 24 degrees and the fish are still so thick and at such a good size, why are they bringing in the FADS so soon?

Cheers,

Rich

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Slawman said:

Do the fish still hang out there for a while when the FAD comes in?

The FAD provides structure that fish hold around. With the FAD gone there is no reason for them to hold in that spot, especially when the water current is actually moving meaning they normally have to actively swim to stay around the FAD. They'll still likely be off Sydney somewhere but unless you can find some sort of other structure like a fish trap buoy or a floating log or something then its a huge ocean you've got to search.

Rich

Great report & photo looks like you guys had an awesome day, I agree with you re the fads, probably to do with the head honchos having set dates to bring them in, & yet the “FADS” are put out for our benefit & our fees pay for the privilege, like you confused 😐 & disappointed 😞 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Not 100% sure but I heard it was due to removing them for the whale migration season as well as the listed 'maintenance'

Yep , the NPWS didnt like the idea of FADS becuase they were worried about big , dumb whales running into them,be interesting if there is any actual evidence of this occuring anywhere. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Yep , the NPWS didnt like the idea of FADS becuase they were worried about big , dumb whales running into them,be interesting if there is any actual evidence of this occuring anywhere. 

Id be interested to see what NPWS has to do with anything related to the ocean!

Not saying its not another branch of some greeny outfit :whistling:

It does pose an interesting question though when this is the reasoning behind the 'FAD Season'

'Most fish species that are attracted to the NSW FADs are seasonal pelagic fish whose arrival off our coast coincides with the warm water that is delivered by the EAC over summer and autumn. The FADs work most effectively when the seawater temperature exceeds 20°C. For this reason they are installed for the summer fishing season and serviced during the winter months to ensure longevity. Various FAD designs have been tested to find the best suited FAD design to withstand the particularly harsh sea conditions experienced off the NSW coast'

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/resources/fish-aggregating-devices/use-of-fads-in-nsw

It isn't winter yet so I see no reason for them to be pulled so early except it just possibly the inshore ones that get pulled 1ft?

• Like 1

The EAC current is still pushing well south & we have 24*c inside the shelf off Sydney & have heard of the odd marlin still being hooked & as @Mr squidy said find the structure, eg buoys or flotsam & you’ll find the dollies 

• Like 3

NPWS had a say when the fads were proposed, wouldnt be suprised if they still have to sign them off- nanny state stupidity  if you consider the fishtraps, lobster traps, shark nets , floating detritus in general in our ocean

Its hardly like Whales are going to get tangled up in them when its just a single line under reasonable tension. Only times I've ever seen whales tangled  in news it has been in shark nets or similar. Either way, I wrote to DPI so will be interested to see how they respond. 

Rich

• Thanks 1

• mrsswordfisherman changed the title to Great day at the FAD so why are they bringing them in?!?!

For those interested the following is the response I got from the DPI on the decision as to when to retrieve the FADs:

Thank you for your email. Looks like you have had some great FAD fishing!

All FADs from Port Stephens down to Eden have been retrieved, not just Sydney. 

Planned retrievals for FADS between Forster and Tweed Heads have been made for mid June.

DPI is always looking for ways to improve its delivery to recreational fishers in NSW. Changes in seasonal removal time-frames, improvements to FAD hardware and longevity or simply more FADs are always being considered. However servicing the entire coast does mean that we will from time time have to make tough calls like taking advantage of the weather when it become available at the extreme ends of the season. 

This enables the best chance at recovering all the gear before the onset of winter (less than two weeks away now) which allows essential maintenance to be performed including the change-out out of GPS units, replacement of worn hardware like shackles and swivels and the replacement of mooring lines that may have become stretched, damaged or weathered beyond salvage after months at sea.   DPI FADs must also be retrieved to minimise the risk of entanglement to migrating whales as part of DPIs agreement with the Commonweath as part of the Environmental Impact Assessment to deploy FADS under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation (EPBC) Act 1999.

NSW DPI is always working to improve the program and your valuable comments regarding the FAD operations will be taken into consideration.   

Many Thanks
DPI FADs Team

Credit to DPI for at least responding quite promptly. Looks like whales do play a big part.

Rich

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Mr Squidy said:

Its hardly like Whales are going to get tangled up in them when its just a single line under reasonable tension. Only times I've ever seen whales tangled  in news it has been in shark nets or similar. Either way, I wrote to DPI so will be interested to see how they respond. 

Rich

They are pretty good to speak to.  The guy I emailed earlier in the season from DPI phoned me.   He was very informative explaining what he is in control of and what he isn’t and the quickest updated sites ( the app not the website) with info.