Swansea Bar

blindmullet

Hi All,

Im looking at going out through swansea bar on saturday (tide swell MRS and weather permitting) in a 4.3m Quintrex Fishabout. I hear of guys going through fine in smaller tinnys just wondering what some peoples thoughts are on crossing that bar in a smaller boat

Thanks in advance

You can run out using the leads markers back inside channel or go out 15 to 20 ft off southern wall  any further oit and you can hit coal shelfs  the leads take u out on northern side of coal shelfs n reef on southern side   look on google maps  you can see wot im sayin

• Like 1

I am looking to go out through Swansea tomorrow. Conditions look good wind is looking to be around 15kms at 9am and then tapering off and swell prediction is for around 0.5 mt all day. So really conditions are good if you wanted to have a crack.

Just be sure to log on with "Marine Rescue Lake Macquarie " before you go out .

Cheers 

The Skipper 

• Like 1

As with many of the NSW coastal bars, it can get short and sharp with a Nor'Easter blowing into a Runout tide, especially the second half of the run out. There is alot of water that moves through there. I remember coming back in one night in a tinny. There was no swell or wind but because the tide was running out so hard it made it very difficult and slow to make forward progress. 

Where your jackets.

• Like 1

We went out early on Saturday and the wind was up so I went south around the back of Moon Island and found a reef full of every reef fish known to man. 

Had some live baits smashed but no hook ups. Had enough by lunch time when the wind started to drop ( of course it did ) had to get back and help a mate set up his new trailer.

Crossing the bar was easy enough as there little to no swell but did note it was very shallow across about 50% of the mouth so respect is always a good thing. 

There are several GPS marks out from Swansea that I am looking to try and will keep in touch when we are going >

The Skipper

• Like 1