Kings on the beach

adkel53

Been camped at Hat Head for a few days. Beach fishing has been very slow. We arrived on the beach at 6.30 am this morning and were greeted by a magnificent sunrise. After driving the length of the beach and about halfway back we had failed to lose a bait ( freshly caught beach worms). Cruising towards home with hungry bellies we chanced upon birds working fish in a gutter. Off come the light spin rods and we begin casting. Three tailor are landed and then my mate hooks something bigger. A 65 cm kingfish is eventually beached. Meanwhile, I have hooked another one  it went 70 cm. We eventually beached three more, along with some more good sized tailor and witnessed kingfish almost beaching themselves as they herded small baitfish into the shore break. 

What seemed like another dud beach session was turned into one to savour by being at the right place at the right time and by being prepared for action🎣🎣

A96D0716-90F8-43BE-AAA6-0D1DF6CF5C6F.jpeg

7777C85B-B999-414F-902F-212E7564ACBD.jpeg

4E0A617E-CF04-4A07-9755-85D56D97C716.jpeg

• Like 6

Many many moons ago I was fishing at Pt Plummer beach when I saw some activity close in the shore break. There was a surfer close in amongst it all then he dives in and starts wreastling a fish ashore which had almost beached itself chasing baitfish. After a few tense moments we come out with an ankle slapper length kingie. Yes caught by hand. This was around 1980.

Jim...

001.jpg

Edited by jot
found photo
  • Like 8

Kings off the beach? Mate buy a lottery ticket! With luck like that you'll win it!

Whats next? Blue eye off the rocks? By the way interesting name. "Hat head". Thats where you put a hat , right? On your head. Well I think it's funny. Lol. Well done on the catch.

4 hours ago, Mr Squidy said:

How good is that, certainly not what you expect off the beach!!

Rich

That is for sure. Put a good bend in the 3-5 kg Shimano  Catana rod I was using😀😀

18 hours ago, Toilor3000 said:

The days we fisherman dream of. Kingies off the beach is definitely something special, well done.

There is a theory going around that they are remnants from the breakout from a fish farm off Port Stephens last year. 

The local beach netters have now found them. 👎👎😫😫

Great report & some awesome 😎 sunrise photos

9 hours ago, jot said:

There was a surfer close in amongst it all then he dives in and starts wreastling a fish ashore which had almost beached itself chasing baitfish. After a few tense moments we come out with an ankle slapper length kingie. Yes caught by hand.

Years ago I had a surfer dude ask me how the fishing was & while chatting to him he mentioned he doesn’t fish but had caught a good one by hand😉, the story was he & mate were on a remote beach heading in for a surf & while in the shore break we’re getting bumped in the legs by solid fish & noticed in the gutter in front sharks corralling the fish,  he dumped his board & after a heap of attempts dragged out a 30lb Jew by the tail