Casting with a Drone

spalms

Yeah mate, I do this often, but only on family trips away from Sydney as we are quite limited as to where I can use the Drones here. $900-$9000 fines can be given out if you don't comply with the CASA maps.

https://www.casa.gov.au/aircraft/standard-page/can-i-fly-there-drone-safety-app

The app is more detailed, download and have a look @ the map. It's pretty much a blanket flying ban all over Sydney. (bloody ridiculous)

First time I tried it I lost the Mavic Air. It cut out mid flight, dropped to the water about 200m out. I had a cheap release system I made myself (coat hanger). I lost that one, it was too far out. ($900 down the drain)

I have the Mavic Pro now with more lifting power and a Gannet payload Release. I should of got the Phantom 4 to get bigger baits out there but stuff paying 3k for that risk.  I also use heavier braid so if it ever fell in the water, I should be able to reel it back in with the gannet holding the line in place and try my luck with DJI warranty / insurance for a new one.

You do catch better fish, the investment is well worth it.

Edited by kaniSS

Cheers kaniSS for the info. I have been thinking about drone casting for sometime as I'd seen feature videos before but hard to get info on!  

Great to see you've had some adventure (although can be a hard hit at time!!) I'm gonna try & pray I don't burn a hole my pocket also! 

Think the payload release is the key to the exercise, so want to examine to the options. Will look into the Gannet unit you'd suggested. I also see that you may be able to program the drone once you have a hook up, to return to a pad landing automatically. That allows you to concentrate on landing the catch

Am aware of the restrictions with drone in sydney & agree it is ridiculous!! I generally go south coast so I got some free space down there

Thanks guys & will update any findings

Cheers spalli

• Like 1

On 5/25/2019 at 9:26 AM, spalms said:

Cheers kaniSS for the info. I have been thinking about drone casting for sometime as I'd seen feature videos before but hard to get info on!  

Great to see you've had some adventure (although can be a hard hit at time!!) I'm gonna try & pray I don't burn a hole my pocket also! 

Think the payload release is the key to the exercise, so want to examine to the options. Will look into the Gannet unit you'd suggested. I also see that you may be able to program the drone once you have a hook up, to return to a pad landing automatically. That allows you to concentrate on landing the catch

Am aware of the restrictions with drone in sydney & agree it is ridiculous!! I generally go south coast so I got some free space down there

Cheers spalli

You should be ok with the Gannet release system, just got to install heavier braid to pull it back in if it falls.
Reason I say braid is its so thin you can fit a lot more line on your spool. These DJI drones can take your line 5-7 clicks out.

Just make sure you turn off the collision avoidance sensors on the drone before lifting off with your bait or the line + bait can hinder the path you fly.

Finally, I tend to take the bait out, drop it in the water and hit the return home button asap, while it returns I take the slack up on the reel and then catch the drone and switch it off to save battery power... reel easy. 

Good luck.

On 5/25/2019 at 9:26 AM, spalms said:

Cheers spalli

yeah my brother does it of the beach taking half bonito etc. out on a over head for sharks

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 11:00 AM, kaniSS said:

I also use heavier braid so if it ever fell in the water, I should be able to reel it back in with the gannet holding the line in place and try my luck with DJI warranty / insurance for a new one.

Good luck with that, they aint that stupid!

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 9:26 AM, spalms said:

Am aware of the restrictions with drone in sydney & agree it is ridiculous!!

Why is it ridiculous??

So you would like to put you family into a 747 & like for them to land where some twit loses control of their drone within the flight path! 

The rules are in place for a reason which is public & aero safety, not to hard to understand is it??

My drone has a ridiculous range from its controller, something like 2km+ which = 6561ft + feet.

That's left, right & up!

• Like 2

I also bought a drone for fishing but promptly lost it.

Thinking about it, could you use an rc boat for line setting?

The main problem with using a drone is that if it goes down you’ve effectively lost it. A boat is already in the water so no problems there - and it has no problem with getting wet.

Would an rc boat have adequate range and power to tow a line out?

1 hour ago, Volitan said:

The main problem with using a drone is that if it goes down you’ve effectively lost it. A boat is already in the water so no problems there - and it has no problem with getting wet.

Google - kontiki fishing. Popular in NZ.

20 hours ago, Volitan said:

Bait boats have been used for ages, but in the chop they are pretty much useless. (I had one before the drone.)

You could always go for this Splashdrone

https://cubox.com.au/products/splashdrone-3-plus?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIva-I1a7C4gIVlY6PCh02pwoZEAQYAyABEgIypvD_BwE

Waterproof as well. With the Gannet and thick braid you could pull it back in in my opinion.

Edited by kaniSS

The splash drone looks interesting but the fact that it’s not self-righting means I’d not want to use it in the surf.

Flips it and has to swim out for it

Otherwise, very capable in the water.

edit

nope, did a bit more

research and the 3+ is self-righting. Does what it calls a ‘patented powerflip’

Edited by Volitan