ARTICLE - Land Based BREAM Spinning by dirvin21

mrsswordfisherman

LAND-BASED BREAM SPINNING  @dirvin21

Like most people I have as busy lifestyle with work and family and thus I don't get as much fishing time as I would like. This means that most of my fishing is done "urban land-based". Despite this I still manage to regularly catch bream on lures including some quality fish. Whilst you're not likely to catch as many fish as you would from a boat, there are still plenty of fish available to the land-based angler it's just a matter of working the right areas. All you need to work the shoreline is a light spin outfit in the 2-4kg range loaded up with some 6-8lb braid, 8lb fluorocarbon leader and a small box of assorted lures.
When land-based bream spinning it's important to keep moving urban bream are spooky so once you have spooked a fish move on and find another.
Most of the areas where I cast lures are very difficult if not impossible for bait fishing this means the bream are less likely to be suspicious in the particular area.
My preferred urban fishing areas are as follows:

ROCKY FLATS
Most anglers overlook the urban rocky flats. I look for areas of rocky bottom that are mostly exposed at low tide and covered in oysters and bubble weed. At high tide when these areas are covered in water the bream are there to feed. I prefer shallow minnow style hardbodies around 50-60mm with a twitch-pause retrieve, surface poppers are also an option in the warmer months. The fish can often be quite spooky in the shallows so a stealthy approach is best I often stand a couple of metres back from the edge.

1.jpg

My first "legal bream" on a lure was taken on a popper worked across some rocky shallows.

MANGROVE EDGES
These can be quite difficult to fish land based but if you can find an area where you can get a cast between the mangroves they are an excellent spot for big bream. I have found areas where the river/creek runs adjacent to a road often have suitable mangrove areas for fishing. Again high tide is the key when the fish head up into the shallows to feed. Surface lures are very effective as you can work them across the mangrove roots without getting snagged. Shallow running hardbodies also work very well particularly when around submerged mangrove branches. The best approach for branches is to cast well past it and work your lure in close as the bream will sit underneath and come out to ambush anything coming past.

2.jpg

ROCK WALLS
These are one of my favourite areas to cast for bream. The main mistake made by anglers on rock walls is to cast as far out from the structure as possible. On rock walls the bream tend to feed on the baitfish and crustaceans that shelter up amongst the rocks. With this in mind you need to work your lure accordingly. The best approach is to cast along the wall working your lure back 1-1.5m from the edge of the water. Work the entire length of the rock wall with particular focus on any drains or large rocks that cause a break in the current.

3.jpg

This bream took a lure approximately 50cm from the edge of a rockwall.

BRIDGES
Bridge pylons are an absolute magnet for bream. The best pylons are covered in oysters and barnacles, the more the better. Mt favourite technique for bridges is to cast "cranka crab" up against a pylon and let it naturally sink down impersonating a crab that's become dislodged. The take can be anything from a subtle tap to a brutal smashing. Soft plastics are a cheaper alternative especially when it comes to stopping big bream around barnacle encrusted pylons. I only make 2 casts per pylon and then move onto the next one.

4.jpg

"cranka crabs" are deadly when used around bridge pylons.

BOAT RAMPS
Boat ramps are often home to some of the biggest bream in a system. The problem with these boat ramp bream is they are incredibly well educated. Despite this quality bream can still be caught if you can work the odds into your favour. First thing is stealth if the fish see you with a rod in your hand it's generally over. Take advantage of people cleaning fish, cast your lure where the guts are in the water this is where lightly weighted soft plastics are really effective.

5.jpg

This fish took a lure worked across some fish guts at a boat ramp.

BY-CATCH
Casting lures around these areas can also lead to some impressive by-catch, I have caught flathead, whiting, trevally, cod, moses perch and kingfish just to name a few.

image.png

4.jpg

• Like 1

• mrsswordfisherman changed the title to ARTICLE - Land Based BREAM Spinning by dirvin21