Yamaha vs Suzuki vs Honda Tiller Steer 40/50hp 4 Strokes

The Rev

Hi everyone 

I am looking at up grading from a Suzuki 40hp / stroke tiller steer to a 4stroke.  I’ve just had a double iguanal  hernia operation done and decided the manual lifting up and down of the  2 stroke needs to end..  I’m keen to get a 4 stroke that has hydraulic lift for the motor.  Any thoughts on what brands are best?  Reliability is a key thing for me.

The Rev

Nothing wrong with the Suzuki's, just internet myth, I have a 50 Yamaha on almost the same boat and it goes OK, my mate has the same boat with a Honda and it is slightly more powerful than mine, either motor will be fine, if you don't mind a drive, there is a dealer near me sells both Honda and Yamaha, might be worth giving him a call, let me know and I can send his details if you like..

15 hours ago, The Rev said:

Hi everyone 

I am looking at up grading from a Suzuki 40hp / stroke tiller steer to a 4stroke.  I’ve just had a double iguanal  hernia operation done and decided the manual lifting up and down of the  2 stroke needs to end..  I’m keen to get a 4 stroke that has hydraulic lift for the motor.  Any thoughts on what brands are best?  Reliability is a key thing for me.

The Rev

You know you can get power (hydraulic) tilt n trim on 2 stroke outboards? 

Also, with the added weight of a 4 stroke if you decided to go that way, get maximum HP for the hull.

I would review local dealers in your area and choose based on that.  All models (yes including mercury, haha) have good and bad stories and I think will last just as long as each other if you regularly service them.  A good honest repair centre would go a long way in my eyes.  I will be basing my next purchase on that as I had somewhat lost faith in my local dealer (new owners now so maybe my mind can be changed)

Also, if its brand new you are never really going to know if a particular brand is reliable or not.  They are constantly changing technologies and it takes 10 years to really find out if a model is reliable.  They might change a few things thinking it will be OK, only to find it caused something else to have added pressures and fail prematurely.  

all brands are pretty  good these days the main things to look for is price and trusting dealer and make sure new motor is rigged and propped correctly and your fuel tank and lines are up to spec .the 4 stroke will use a lot less fuel .check out the merc 40 efi as well in your list if reliability your after  cheers dunc333

Edited by dunc333

6 hours ago, Ah Me Ting said:

How long you had the boat? How do you find it? What type of use?

Hi there - I have had the boat about 3 years and love it.  I can launch and retrieve single handed from Little Manly in reasonable weather.  IT goes really well in the harbour and on calm days feel totally fine taking it offshore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dunc333 said:

all brands are pretty  good these days the main things to look for is price and trusting dealer and make sure new motor is rigged and propped correctly and your fuel tank and lines are up to spec .the 4 stroke will use a lot less fuel .check out the merc 40 efi as well in your list if reliability your after  cheers dunc333

Thanks Dunc333 - I will also check out the Mercury option.  Are they USA made or Chinese and are they typically reliable?

I've used a yam40 tiller on a mates boat, was very impressive and easy to use. Haven't used any of the others in tiller so can't comment.

Edited by JonD
  • Thanks 1

On 5/24/2019 at 3:44 PM, The Rev said:

Hi everyone 

The Rev

4 strokes those listed are all good quiet use little fuel dont go etec there rubbish

• Thanks 1

On 5/24/2019 at 6:12 PM, noelm said:

Nothing wrong with the Suzuki's, just internet myth, I have a 50 Yamaha on almost the same boat and it goes OK, my mate has the same boat with a Honda and it is slightly more powerful than mine, either motor will be fine, if you don't mind a drive, there is a dealer near me sells both Honda and Yamaha, might be worth giving him a call, let me know and I can send his details if you like..

Thanks for the feedback and offer.  As Shellharbour is about 2 hours later south of me I’ll have a look up here on the Northern Beaches of Sydney.  Cheers

The Rev

14 hours ago, Ah Me Ting said:

You know you can get power (hydraulic) tilt n trim on 2 stroke outboards? 

Also, with the added weight of a 4 stroke if you decided to go that way, get maximum HP for the hull.

I had heard that but I’m also keen on the 4 stroke for fuel efficiency and low noise 😃

I would say Etecs are the number one selling outboard at the moment. I see them on a wide range of boats.

Don't believe the hearsay garbage. Every brand has it's problems. Etecs are a reliable motor. Plenty of happy owners here on fishraider.

If you want to save money, a smaller HP etec will burn less fuel than a larger heavier 4 stroke, for the same or probably even more power generation.

Don't discount them from the beginning. Look into them and if your still not convinced then don't buy 

Edited by GoingFishing

Guest Guest123456789

If you’re northern beaches, I got a quote for a Yamaha 40HP 4 stroke tiller (electric tilt and trim) quoted from a dealer in Brooklyn (40 mins drive). This was August 2017 and Yamaha had a ‘winter special’ on which was a genuine discount of $800 from the manufacturer to the dealer. Included fitting and a water test. Price was $7629inc gst.

i bought a house instead so didn’t go ahead and I’m broke this year, maybe 2020....

hi Rev thanks for the reply  i think merc have a factory in china now but to what hp they make to i dont know .my engine is a half yammi half merc. parts made everywhere and put togeather  in mexico and badged merc lol 2004 great engine .if you can hold off through winter im sure you can do a good repower deal at the syd boat show whatever engine you choose .remember rigging ,fuel system ,prop .dealer ,makes a great long lasting engine cheers dunc333