26kg longtail off Nelson Bay Breakwall

Volitan

I got up early today to drive to Nelson Bay to fish the breakwall landbased. It’s a bit late in the year but I did Ok on the kingfish last week so I thought maybe one final trip for the year.

The first 1 and a half hours were slow. I set up a little berley trail and straylined a dead fish. Then this beast grabbed hold.

26, well closer to 27, kgs of super-stubborn Longtail.

Came in dead, didn’t need a gaff, just grabbed the tail.

For those interested in the technicalities. 13.6 kg Penn mono trace. 2 hook pennel rig with 5/0 hooks snelled on. Joined by swivel to 20kg braid. Dead whole fish with no weight, basically a mix of drifting and slow retrieve. 

Anyway, now the important bit. I’m wanting to serve shashimi to friends on Wednesday night. Can I use this fish. If so, how do I keep it between now and then. It went into the fridge about 7 hours after capture as it took a while to drive home and butcher it. Can I just leave a chunk in the fridge till Wendnesday or will that be rubbish. I realise longtail is not the best shashimi fish - that’s ok - but I don’t want to give people bacteria poisoning. Advice appreciated as I know nothing about this.

cheers

V.

D22E8D37-D89D-4845-A322-5A3037231BBF.jpeg

• Like 12

17 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Make sure you cut the blood line out otherwise it will degenerate the flesh. General shelf life is two days in the fridge I believe. As for sashimi, one of the best eating fish there is! 

So does that mean it will be risky to serve it on Wednesday night?

what about if I put it in the freezer ?

7 hours is a long time without refrigeration.  I'd be cooking it. Fish lasts 3 days refrigerated (this might be less for sashimi),  but the 7 hour delay would not have helped.

Otherwise no need to freeze it if you are going to eat it within 3 days.

Edited by kingfishbig

19 minutes ago, Volitan said:

So does that mean it will be risky to serve it on Wednesday night?

what about if I put it in the freezer ?

I would not serve it as Sashimi on Wednesday.  Unfortunately freezing for Sashimi needs to be immediate and fast/specialized (not what you can do with a domestic freezer).  Have some Sashimi tonight and take a few selfies.....Freeze the rest and cook some steaks for your guests perhaps.

A lot of fish is deep chilled for a lot longer than what most people think, as is a lot of other seafood that they think are buying fresh at the market!

When you get a beast like that imo you need to know what to do with it straight off the bat.

Ice bathe ready, 

I know we have those moments when we are hoping & never expecting to get something like that(especially if targeted) but a plan if you do is always.

So what about preserving/bottling it for future consumption?

Just something to ponder

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/11772483698/making-preserved-tuna

Dried/smoked/fried/bottled/whatever just enjoy it & appreciate it 😊

Edited by kingie chaser

34 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

I know we have those moments when we are hoping & never expecting to get something like that(especially if targeted) but a plan if you do is always.

Well, I had in mind releasing anything caught today.

i wasn’t expecting a Longtail. These tuna usually run themselves to exhaustion when caught landbased - then they die before you get them in. Otherwise it would have gone back too.

Really nice work , thats an excellent size for a Longtail. Back to your original question- no way should you serve that as sashimi, in fact if you didnt get it on ice for 7 hrs- i would be very reluctant to eat it at all! When fish are not cooled immediately after death especially tuna/mackeral  they have a build up of histamine in the flesh which can actually kill you- look up Scombriod poisoning-and it doesnt matter if you cook it or serve it raw. If you remember the lady and her grandaughter who died in Bali a few years back- thats what did it. 

Ok, no shashimi.

We will be eating it cooked though. I wasn’t sure about the 7 hours, just an estimate. Then it occurred to me to check the time of capture on the photo and it was more like 5 hours. Cool day, not in the sun. I’ve no problems with eating that - but then I’m not a connoisseur.

Cheers

9 minutes ago, Volitan said:

Ok, no shashimi.

We will be eating it cooked though. I wasn’t sure about the 7 hours, just an estimate. Then it occurred to me to check the time of capture on the photo and it was more like 5 hours. Cool day, not in the sun. I’ve no problems with eating that - but then I’m not a connoisseur.

Cheers

Got nothing to do with being a connosseur- its got to do with your health- I had what i think was scombriod poisoning from a bonito once and a mate of mine from a kingfish- it was pretty ordinary- if the fish hasnt been iced down it can make you sick-

What a top fish!!

Scombroid is a toxin so how much you eat makes a difference on how sick you'll get. If you're intent on serving it up to others best thing to do is to have a very small portion yourself in the days before and see if you develop any symptoms. If you are all good then you may be ok, if you feel crook its a no go. Definitely cooked only. 

Cheers,

Rich

Edited by Mr Squidy