Spinning for kings

Poly2096

hi there, ive read a few of the posts on here looking at various different outfits for kings. Some are boat, some smaller lure fishing etc. My question is what would everyone suggest for flicking soft plastics, stickbaits etc off a wharf/boat/rocks for kings ideally over legal and if im lucky up to the magic meter mark. im fishing around Sydney. thanks a lot

There's too many options......

I go with a PE3 / 4 rated rod capable of casting up to 100gm jigs and a spinning reel with at least 13 kilos of drag.  You want it as light as possible (easy to carry, handle, use) but still with the chance to land a decent kingy.

When I am shopping for a spinning  set I look at the target species, line weight, jig weight and then look at reels that will put the drag on to warrant the line weight.   Beyond that it is how good the sales guy is or how persuasive your mates are to land you with something specific.

I use a Berkley Tournament iii-ii 01g116k Rod and a Silstar Adrott s-ad50  which i have got heaps of Kings on using deep diving and top water lures. Braid 12 lb and heavy leader 30lb Great outfit for kings salmon tailor trevs .

DSCF6192.JPG

Edited by masterfisho7
  • Like 3

Gosa 10k with the drag locked down. 80lb braid. 80lb fluoro leader.

7 foot to 9 foot rod rated 24kg or pe5. Fresh caught squid for bait. Stickbaits for lures. Plastics work sometimes. Hold on and good luck.

Shimano have a new model stradic (2019) which looks like a fun light weight little reel in the 5000 size. With the launch of the new model you may find the older ones drop a little in price.

As for rods, have you considered something like a storm gomoko ( not the first white editions ). These are incredibly light but extremely strong little rods and are so much fun to use which should handle most of the kings on offer around Sydney. Matched with a 5000 stradic the outfit could be used for a variety of species and techniques from micro jigging, flicking lures and even livebaiting. Something like 25-30lb Danga braid would keep you inside budget.

Just for the record I've been using a Daiwa black 2-4kg bream rod with a ci 4 3000 stradic on legal kings and surprisingly landing them ( among other outfits).

Edited by JonD

Given your budget, I would go for a Daiwa BG 6500 combined with a Daiwa Saltist Coastal, probably the 70XH.   Stick some 30lb braid on there with a 30lb Fluro leader and your ready to rock.  You will pick the lot up for between 400 and 450.  I am pretty brand agnostic with gear but the BG range is just outstanding value at the moment.

It would be worthwhile going into a shop to get a feel for the rods and look over the lures to appreciate the weights you will likely be casting.  Most people tend to get a much heavier rod than they really need. 

I just put a set together a very similar set for my son.

Edited by Slawman

• 2 weeks later...

An update, not that I recommend everyone head out and try this but I've managed to knock over plenty of legal kings on a Daiwa black 2-4kg bream rod and a stradic 3000 ci4. These fish are over very shallow reef, which totally amazes me is possible at all. This light end of gear has been the most fun of any fishing I've ever done.