Snapper off the rocks

G’day everyone,

I fish the rocks on the Central Coast (mainly around Terrigal) and now the pelagics are all but gone I am going to concentrate on fishing for snapper. I have a freezer full of squid and salted bonito fillets so I’ve got good bait, I just need some advice on how and where to catch them off the rocks. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Cheers,

Phil

Don't know anything about that location, but I do fish for them around here a bit, best places are where there is deep water pretty close in, and not hard rock, sand patches or gravel type of bottom are the best, added bonus is you don't lose much gear, and rubbish bycatch in minimal.

Hey mate i'm on the coast as well and its something I've always wanted to try but never have.

I don't know of any specific ledges that are known to produce.

Few things I've read about but never put to practice is that they hang around gravel bottoms which are mostly further out off the rock ledges/ away from the reefy stuff (need to put in big casts).

Also apparently great times are just after there's been big swells as they get pushed off the outside reefs and bommies and come closer in.

Again these are things that I've read/heard and have no experience targeting them off the rocks. 

Early morns an late arvos are best  avoca ledge when there are no crowds is good  throw out as far as u can  use a short trace as it doesnt flail around as much givin u better distance   there are lots of spots on coast  depends where you are

There is one place on the central coast above all the rest for me for Snapper, and that is the appropriately named place " Snapper Point " south of Catherine hill bay , pretty easy to get to and generally safe to fish, there is some undercut caves and flat ledges and a small beach. Good luck and let us all know how you go.

Frank

Catching snapper off the rocks is definitely a difficult target but during the winter period you can hook some real bruts! 

There’s some good info above! 

For me this is what works! 

Look for sandy/weed bottom, depth needs to be at least 10m. Look for early morning and late arvo high tide. Burley is a must. 

I use a minimum of a 7.2ft rod 20/20 lb mainline leader. Then use a very small running sinker to either a 5/0 J hook or a 1/0 gang hook! Best results I’ve had is on pilchards. 

Hope that helps! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

I live up the top here  never fish snapper pt in a sea  too many people get washed in there   there are better spots close to there that are a lot safer  it drops straight onto sand at your feet there  few bream n trevors but not known for reds  wybung is heaps better n safer  moonee  sth end of catho  .....graveyard nth end of catho ...rocks nth of pinny bch.....hargraves beach  during a sea  ....   dozens of places  depends where u live n if u want to travel

Thanks for the responses so far. As I said I normally fish the rock ledges around Terrigal for pelagics but it seems too reefy/weedy to fish the bottom for snapper.

I will give Avoca ago.

Also I was thinking given the big seas we’ve just had the point at terrigal haven might be worth a try throwing out towards the surf club. Do you think it’s best to burley or just throw out a bait on a paternoster rig?

Cheers,

Phil 

Guest Guest123456789
21 hours ago, Central Coast Fisherman said:

Thanks for the responses so far. As I said I normally fish the rock ledges around Terrigal for pelagics but it seems too reefy/weedy to fish the bottom for snapper.

I will give Avoca ago.

Also I was thinking given the big seas we’ve just had the point at terrigal haven might be worth a try throwing out towards the surf club. Do you think it’s best to burley or just throw out a bait on a paternoster rig?

Cheers,

Phil 

You can get snapper from both Terrigal and Avoca. If you snorkel around both parts you’ll see them in amongst the kelp beds. There are narrow holes amongst the rocks and kelp that have a sandy bottom, they seem to like these spots and i reckon they hunt by scent and ambush as opposed to great sight and speed. Around near terrigal point near lord Ashley wreck you’ll see snapper traps set by the pro’s marked with a white buoy. In 2017 my friend caught a 6kg snapper from the rocks as bycatch when fishing for tailor

terrigal point this year throwing towards the surf club you’ll catch all sorts of species. Ive seen/caught, mulloway, blackfish, wobbegong, squid, trevally, flathead, bream, tailor, salmon you name it.  Never a snapper though. It’s a busy spot but still fishes well and importantly is safe. You can burley if you like but its not needed. A paternoster rig works. Good luck!

I tried Avoca yesterday afternoon. I didn’t get there till after 4pm. The swell was still rather large so I fished from a high ledge round near the island. First cast I got snagged and broke off. I then moved about 50m back towards the beach and must have been throwing over sand as I didn’t get snagged on the bottom again. I was using squid strips and salted bonito strips. I hooked up to what felt like a snapper but as the swell was pumping I couldn’t get down to the lower ledge to land it and I got caught on the reef below and broke off. I got bites most throws then just before dark I got a good bite then just dead weight. I managed to land the biggest red rock cod I’ve seen (38cm). 

So while I didn’t land a snapper I think I’ve found some good ground and I’m going to try again today.

i believe red rock cod live in reasonably deep water so I assume where I was fishing was quite deep. 

Also for those of you who regularly catch snapper, do you often catch red rock cod as by catch? I’m wondering if by catching the red rock cod it’s confirmation I’m fishing in the right area?

Cheers,

Phil

Edited by Central Coast Fisherman

Didn't a Member called Ray R (Hope thats right) fish off those Avoca rocks and get a few Reddies.

This is a few years ago and not sure where Ray went.

I tried to search members but have had no luck with a member list to look up those older posts.

1 hour ago, Blackfish said:

Didn't a Member called Ray R (Hope thats right) fish off those Avoca rocks and get a few Reddies.

This is a few years ago and not sure where Ray went.

I tried to search members but have had no luck with a member list to look up those older posts.

Yep, good old Ray is a gun fisho of that area! Not sure if he’s on here much lately. I had two magic trips away with ray to Darwin. Champion bloke! 

Hopefully he sees this and responds! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

3 hours ago, Central Coast Fisherman said:

I tried Avoca yesterday afternoon. I didn’t get there till after 4pm. The swell was still rather large so I fished from a high ledge round near the island. First cast I got snagged and broke off

I fish the platform occasionally for squid & have gotten to know a couple of the locals & old timers there’s a bloke I think his name is Frank who fish’s that spot for snapper & where you first come on to the ledge (rod holders drilled in rocks) obviously it’s a long cast with the angle of the dangle being important. If I bump into him or one of the other locals I’ll P.M. you with the info. Are you doing another arvo session today as it looks fishy? Good luck.   Cheers Dieter 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest123456789
On 6/8/2019 at 7:35 AM, Central Coast Fisherman said:

I tried Avoca yesterday afternoon. I didn’t get there till after 4pm. The swell was still rather large so I fished from a high ledge round near the island. First cast I got snagged and broke off. I then moved about 50m back towards the beach and must have been throwing over sand as I didn’t get snagged on the bottom again. I was using squid strips and salted bonito strips. I hooked up to what felt like a snapper but as the swell was pumping I couldn’t get down to the lower ledge to land it and I got caught on the reef below and broke off. I got bites most throws then just before dark I got a good bite then just dead weight. I managed to land the biggest red rock cod I’ve seen (38cm). 

So while I didn’t land a snapper I think I’ve found some good ground and I’m going to try again today.

i believe red rock cod live in reasonably deep water so I assume where I was fishing was quite deep. 

Also for those of you who regularly catch snapper, do you often catch red rock cod as by catch? I’m wondering if by catching the red rock cod it’s confirmation I’m fishing in the right area?

Cheers,

Phil

Back in the 80’s and 90’s that spot was the go to for Marlin fishing. The highest part of the ledge is called ‘big mugs’ and its great for jumping off for a swim in summer (you have to time the sets as bottom can be shallow).

Lots of kelp beds around that spot, not much sand. Lots of rock cod and bakers over the kelp beds but good fish on the edges.  You need to get to the edge of the reef where the sand is to avoid the garbage. I’d suggest a 10 foot+ rod with 10 - 20lbs line with a 1/0 suicide hook on a SALTED half pillie (secured with half hitch) running sinker rig on the run out. Wind to your back or no wind a must. Maybe size 1 or 2 ball sinker. Make sure the leader is lighter than the main line and be prepared to lose some rigs while you are working out where the reef isn’t! Just a thought. Good luck!

Edited by Guest123456789
Typo

I use 12ft rod 20lb mono pea sinker 3/0 circle chicken thigh for bait. Fish with bail open as snapper like to pick up and run 5 mtrs then stop I count to 5 and slowly tighten up. You know if he's on and go hard to get his head up or risk bust off. Rock cod definitely a good sign.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/5/2019 at 2:58 PM, rickmarlin62 said:

I live up the top here  never fish snapper pt in a sea  too many people get washed in there   there are better spots close to there that are a lot safer  it drops straight onto sand at your feet there  few bream n trevors but not known for reds  wybung is heaps better n safer  moonee  sth end of catho  .....graveyard nth end of catho ...rocks nth of pinny bch.....hargraves beach  during a sea  ....   dozens of places  depends where u live n if u want to travel

Hi rickmarlin62, I'm finally making it up to that beautiful area. I like the look of wybung, it's it high above the water and which direction swell would be best? I was planning on spinning x-rap long casts, large SP and maybe take a bait or two. Would I need a 4wd to get there? Can't wait, one more week.

Thanks mate.

hey mate I have fished the coast all my life and there are plenty of awesome rock spots around- even though I am not a keen rock hopper I have fished a few spots over the years with mates who are dead set keen and have had some memorable sessions from these locations

North Avoca in the cod hole can be a good spot for Reds, and also Winnie Bay but its a loooooong walk in and back out esp with a lot of gear, make sure if you head to Winnie you go with someone who knows the area and never turn your back to the water- it can be a pretty dangerous spot in a swell and no fish is worth your life mate- but Winnie Bay is the best rock spot I have ever fished. Expect to catch blackfish, pigs, reds, bream, rock cod, sgt bakers. kings, bonnies , trevs and the odd shark

Dont underestimate the other rock ledges around bateau bay, forresters and also down the southern end of the coast - Pearl beach, Patonga and Putty Beach I have caught pan sized reds in numbers off the beaches so the bigger ones could literally be round the corner.

Good luck with the hunt mate

• Like 1