Hydraulic steering

Chrome Thrower

The old cable steering on my boat has seen better days so during the motors  recent service I decided to go with a new sea star hydraulic steering system, not cheap but the mechanic seems to think it's the best  . Does anyone have or use the sea star set up and if so what is the general con census 

Most good mechanics will tell you you don't need it until you get into the bigger outboard range. I had an issue where mine were being replaced every 12 months due to such tight angles the cables had to bend to. I replaced with hydraulic Baystar, fitting it myself and have been very happy with it, great improvement even on a small outboard like my F70. if I was only doing 100 hrs per year I would of most likely stayed with cable but he fact Im currently running around 400hrs and enjoy this boat I considered the investment worth while.

Thanks for the reassurance guys , the motor its steering is a Yamaha 90 two stroke on a 17ft fibreglass hull . Seems odd but the mechanic explained that the less we use cable style steering the more inclined it is to play up , now as you can imagine I'm keen as mustard to get the old girl out on the water and see what she can do now. " .    

7 minutes ago, Chrome Thrower said:

Thanks for the reassurance guys , the motor its steering is a Yamaha 90 two stroke on a 17ft fibreglass hull . Seems odd but the mechanic explained that the less we use cable style steering the more inclined it is to play up , now as you can imagine I'm keen as mustard to get the old girl out on the water and see what she can do now. " .    

Yes that's probably the case with cable in regards to lack of use but for me with a hull only 1.2m wide the bends in it caused the wire to wear inside its sleeve.

On 6/6/2019 at 7:01 PM, JonD said:

I replaced with hydraulic Baystar, fitting it myself and have been very happy with it, great improvement even on a small outboard like my F70.

I’ve got the bay star on my barcrusher & I’ve had the rig over 9years & love it & the steering, while down at Jyndabine recently I had a small oil trickle at the base of the steering wheel mount, I don’t think it’s an issue though as I had the boat in for a service just prior to going down & it might just be a bit of residual from a top up of steering  fluid