Port Hacking - crabs

Yowie

Headed out early this morning near the Lilli Pilli bathes. In the darkness I could see baitfish jumping, and they mostly looked like little garfish. Also there were a few big splashes amongst them. I threw pillies at the jumping fish for a long time for not one bite.

About half light, all splashing stopped then the reddies came on the bite. Not one legal one amongst them, though some were close. Caught one large yakka and used it as strip baits.

After sun-up, most of the reddies disappeared and a couple of crabs grabbed the baits, so I stayed for a while. The crabs were out from the boat in deeper water, and I pulled out 5 of reasonable size. A bit unusual to catch that many this time of year, but not complaining.

fish.jpeg_194.thumb.png.6710b5e8079e4a498e0304eebe3cdf1a.png

• Like 6

I recall doing a patrol around Googoley Point one day and cutting across the shallows near the church camp, came across a dozen witches hat crab nets laying on the bottom. They were loaded with blue swimmers, which were all released and the nets confiscated, as it is prohibited to use nets in the Hacking. Don't know where the owners were or if they were watching, but they obviously knew the rules, as none of the nets had floats or any kind of I.D. on them.

Good catch, Yowie.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Killer said:

I recall doing a patrol around Googoley Point one day and cutting across the shallows near the church camp, came across a dozen witches hat crab nets laying on the bottom. They were loaded with blue swimmers, which were all released and the nets confiscated, as it is prohibited to use nets in the Hacking. Don't know where the owners were or if they were watching, but they obviously knew the rules, as none of the nets had floats or any kind of I.D. on them.

Good catch, Yowie.

Happy with a feed of crabs for a change.

Doubt whether they would be attaching I.D. to those nets.

Last year I hooked up to a large metal fish trap out from the sand bank, it was rather heavy and not easy to get into the boat (and a Fisheries Inspector probably would be blaming me for having it on my boat) so I let it sink back to the bottom. 1 x 1 metre and made of heavy duty steel, nothing in it and no rope or float attached to it.