Bonito Kokoda (Coconut Raw Fish)

recurve

Went for Reds and ended up catching three Bonnies. Sent two back as not sure how to cook them. Kept one as decided maybe they could be good as Kokoda.

Kokoda is fish cubes partially cooked in lemon juice mixed with raw veges and coconut cream. It's amazing. 

Cut fish into cubes 1-1.5cm. Salt and cover in fresh lemon juice. Leave for two hours. 

Take 3 tomatoes and remove the seeds and liquid. Do the same to a cucumber or two as well as a capiscum. Cut up super small and put aside. Chop half the red onion up super small as well. Season well. 

I rinse the lemon juice off the fish and Pat dry. Put in a bowl and add all the chopped up bits. Then add over half a tin of coconut cream. Season to taste. If kids are not involved then red chillies also go well. 

This is devine and to my delight, works well with Bonito. Kingfish is best but Bonito was very good. 

Crusty bread and Kokoda, BAM!!

DADEA011-93D0-4853-90EB-CFCEC6AA14C4.jpeg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for this idea 

in the past I would just keep bonito for bait 

but this inspired me to try it 

and yes it was great- added some other fresh veggies like corn and coriander  

I let the bonito fillets set in the fridge over night to make sure they were nice and firm for cutting into the smaller pieces 

didnt rinse the the lemon juice off  and was still ok 

Also had some for sashimi 

2166F8C3-7A5D-48D3-A3A2-EA579D402C70.jpeg

64070E4A-7300-41FF-BF8A-C0D9F9DDEB23.jpeg

Edited by Aerialangler
Add pic
  • Like 2

Guest Guest123456789

Looks delicious thanks for sharing. Could you warm it up a put in a hot tortilla?

Kokonda is one of my favourites, even better with chilli. If you like Japanese food, fresh bonito sushimi is lovely also. Thinly sliced, and I like it dipped in a paste of soy sauce and wasabi mixed together. But I think I'll go kokonda next time bonito comes my way. Thanks for the tip @recurve