Anchoring at long reef - advice please!

anthman

30 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

I'm pretty sure sea are designed to do both...slow the drift and straighten up the boat. I use my sea anchor on almost every trip and I can tell you with absolute certainty that it slows my drift down.

yep they are pretty underutilised by most boat fishos, just remember to pull it in and put something heavy on it before you drive off!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

yep they are pretty underutilised by most boat fishos, just remember to pull it in and put something heavy on it before you drive off!

Yep. Position them right and you can control the way you drift or how you sit at anchor. Years ago (when I had at least some fitness level! 😂), my only boat was a 10ft punt with no motor and I used to row everywhere, trying to work with the tides. If the wind made me drift too fast, I often just used a bucket on a rope to drift with the current better, also to sit side on to fish multiple lines more efficiently. But, yes, you’ve got to remember to pull it in before you take off!.... I’m terrible at that! Drogues, berley pots on ropes, keeper nets.... in my excitement to get moving on to the next spot or restart a drift, I too often forget about them! So, I rarely use them these days. Fishing solo mostly though, the angle my boat sits at doesn’t really worry me. If I have crew, I might use the drogue... then I have a second set of eyes to remind me and a second set of hands to pull them in while I get the motor started etc.! 😂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Yep. Position them right and you can control the way you drift or how you sit at anchor. Years ago (when I had at least some fitness level! 😂), my only boat was a 10ft punt with no motor and I used to row everywhere, trying to work with the tides. If the wind made me drift too fast, I often just used a bucket on a rope to drift with the current better, also to sit side on to fish multiple lines more efficiently. But, yes, you’ve got to remember to pull it in before you take off!.... I’m terrible at that! Drogues, berley pots on ropes, keeper nets.... in my excitement to get moving on to the next spot or restart a drift, I too often forget about them! So, I rarely use them these days. Fishing solo mostly though, the angle my boat sits at doesn’t really worry me. If I have crew, I might use the drogue... then I have a second set of eyes to remind me and a second set of hands to pull them in while I get the motor started etc.! 😂

Just because I've never used one, can you help me out with two scenarios?

#1: let's say I'm anchored. Swell direction is heading north (from South to north. is that the same as current aswell?). Wind is an easterly wind (from left to right).

SO, depending on strength of current and wind, my anchored boat would be roughly pointing south west. Would adding a sea anchor on the stern mean that I point more towards south rather than south west?

#2: let's say I'm drifting. In the same conditions described above, would I be drifting towards a north east direction? Then adding a sea anchor, I would drift more towards the north, rather than north east?

50 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Current can go any direction  its not bound by swell   worse case can be current comin from nth  wind from sth  you fish under boat  not good

Ok, so ignoring my comment about swell, let's say current is going in the directions described. Is my thinking right?

I did the forgetting trick and lost my parachute type drogue a few weeks ago.  

I ended up replacing it with one from the US as I couldn’t see any similar to what I had around here.   They roll up really small and open up over 1m diameter.    Now I just need to get out in the water and see how it goes. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PaddyT said:

I agree with you 100%

Jim started a very informative discussion on bottom bouncing a while ago. In this i rated drift speed as the second most important factor for me when fishing. Before bait and tackle even.

Having a sea anchor onboard is as important as having fuel IMHO and in fact if the conditions are over 10 knots and you dont have a sea anchor onboard unless your fishing in 20m or less of water I would almost say better to head back to the ramp and get some sleep.

Edited by GoingFishing

Thank you all - i used the ball and clip and will never go back! Might need to invest in a bigger sea anchor though (reduced a 1.5knt drift to a 0.9knt drift) - mine says its rated for upto a 6m boat (my boat is 4.72m) but I felt was very small and could potentially be bigger - about half a metre diameter when "opened".

2 hours ago, anthman said:

Thank you all - i used the ball and clip and will never go back! Might need to invest in a bigger sea anchor though (reduced a 1.5knt drift to a 0.9knt drift) - mine says its rated for upto a 6m boat (my boat is 4.72m) but I felt was very small and could potentially be bigger - about half a metre diameter when "opened".

I have a funnel type sea anchor and I don’t rate it at all, it’s probably 0.5m too.   The parachute one I lost a few weeks ago was much better hopefully the new one dies the trick. 

4 hours ago, anthman said:

0.9 knots drift is a pretty good drift speed in my opinion. 

What depth are you fishing ? That speed will be OK out to about 50m.

If you feel like your still drifting too fast id recommend that rather than waste money on another sea anchor I would just go up an size on your lead. (extra ounce)

Another trick is to tie the sea anchor to the side of the boat. If you have a hard top it can position you so your casting with no obstruction of the hard top and it makes it easier if there are two of you as you can alternate.  While one is retrieving the other casts. Sometimes it seems to slow you down even more as well. All depends on wind and current. 

Don't think the sea anchor always has to go off the back. Off the side when the wind and current is right is good for bottom bashing as well as your chute is behind you and you have no issues with the line touching the drogue rope. 

I tie my sea anchor off my bow rope  when your drifting the stern is facing the direction you want to cast and you cant take a wave over the back as your pointing into the sea   you have the whole cockpit to fish from ..same as anchoring

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

I tie my sea anchor off my bow rope  when your drifting the stern is facing the direction you want to cast and you cant take a wave over the back as your pointing into the sea   you have the whole cockpit to fish from ..same as anchoring

Isnt your line then running back under your boat........?

18 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Not when your casting Sps for snapper  or flatties in the lake........... i dont drift for anything else

I was thinking that what you are suggesting is the way to go for SP’s casting ahead of the drift as Scratchie suggests.

For just dropping and drifting with say a paternoster the other way is probably the go.

I fired up the old stick welder at work the other day for the first time in about 10 years to make a few brackets.  Next job is the anchor I just need to get a few chain links and I will probably use non shrink grout to fill it for a bit of extra weight. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Welster said:

I was thinking that what you are suggesting is the way to go for SP’s casting ahead of the drift as Scratchie suggests.

For just dropping and drifting with say a paternoster the other way is probably the go.

👌👌👍👍