Port Stephens reds.

tyrone07

No Swell, no current, no wind, a million other boats = the perfect conditions not to go snapper fishing. Unfortunately I am unable to fish with everyone in a few weeks time so hit Scratchie up to see if he was interested in a little pre fish on Monday of the Long Wkend.  Brought another mate along and after a quick attempt at getting some bait we made the decision after watching at least six other boats heading north we decided to hit our first drift as the sun was rising. My other mate had never caught a snapper on a plastic so given the conditions there was some slight concern. I think second cast with a seven inch jerk Shad in pilchard I pulled a legal pannie. Shortly after scratchie calls “good fish” before his braid pinged half way  up the line. I had two more casts before I came up tight to a good red in some tight structure. I was confident I had turned the fish head and had it heading towards deeper water when that sinking feeling of being smoked in the structure. Having caught a few decent reds we all knew this one was a solid fish. Quickly Re rigged and the very next cast the 7 inch pilchard gets whacked and heads straight towards the deeper water. This fish is fighting dirty, down deep with some serious pulling power. Ended up having to chase it into the deeper water to try gain some line back, knowing I was away from structure It had all the hallmarks of a stonker red. After a few more blistering runs down deep the fish cane charging high in the water column with us all calling it for anythin from Cobia to a king. After a solid 15 minutes on 15lb line I manage to get the fish to the boat and is a Longtail of approximately 10-12 kg, we managed to get her to the boat, where after a quick (failed) gaff shot by Jeff 😂 the 16lb leader popped at the knot. We continued fishing and my mate put on the old faithful Nuke Chicken In 5 inch. Not long after he got his first ever legal red on a plastic, followed by an upgrade PB. With a wuick spot change I managed to put he fish of the day in the boat before my mate calls good fish. He duely sets the hook which is short lived before he is giving his first dusting by a Port Stephens Red. We tried a couple more spots with us all adding some reds with us endin up with 8 keepers and as many throw backs. Considering the conditions the fishing was extremely tough, if we had of converted all the fish we hooked it would hve been a cracking day on the water, but trust me the knowledge Jeff has of the area as I have said time and time again is invaluable. I’ve fished with him five times now and every time we hve hooked some crackers, the blokes middle name is Pagrus. For the technical side of things all fish came on 5 and 7 inch plastics on 1/4th TT jig heads, fish depths between 6-22 meters of water, and the old saying of find the bait find the fish is very true when snapper fishing. I don’t think one spot held more fish then any others but Jeff’s philosophy of just keep casting is so very true.

9CA14039-36FA-4F1D-AE2B-8B167330FE63.jpeg

6D7CC7DF-1493-46DF-83CC-72A10C198B94.jpeg

• Like 13

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

Great report @tyrone07.

I am very surprised about use the 1/4oz jig heads on the snaps.

Must be very low current then?

Would have been great just being out there on a magic day like that to 😉

Mate Scratchie and I know blokes that fish as light as 1/8th, yesterday we could of easily with the lack of current. There is a bit of science behind it you want your lure drifting down through the water column as slowly and naturally as the conditions will allow, the majority of the good reds will actually hit in the top 1/3 of the water column I have found. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Nice work  jeff knows his s#@t   im goin up this wknd and the followin raider run   yeehaa

He speaks very highly of you mate 👍, the fish of the day came from one of your go to spots supposedly. I was almost doubting the maestro when in que I got whcked

11 minutes ago, tyrone07 said:

Mate Scratchie and I know blokes that fish as light as 1/8th, yesterday we could of easily with the lack of current. There is a bit of science behind it you want your lure drifting down through the water column as slowly and naturally as the conditions will allow, the majority of the good reds will actually hit in the top 1/3 of the water column I have found. 

My biggest snap at 87cm was hooked just under a school of baitfish up north. Expected a tuna or sonmething because it was so high up....

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, rippinlips said:

My biggest snap at 87cm was hooked just under a school of baitfish up north. Expected a tuna or sonmething because it was so high up....

That’s a cracker red, that is the fish I am chasing. Yep, it’s like when you fish float baits, the better fish definitely come well up off the bottom IMO

Nice work Tyrone! A pretty spot on report of the days events. We were deadset up against it. No swell, drift, current, wind but still managed a feed and lost 3 good snaps to the reef! Your longtail on snapper gear was certainly a highlight and you played it like a pro! It was a shame it took one look at my head when I tried to gaff it and dived down making it out of reach. I did touch the leader so it counts in my book! 

It’s also a shame that you won’t make the snapper catch up because your off to Europe! Poor choice 😝😝😝

To add, your mate got his first snapper and on sps too! That’s gold! 👍

Always a pleasure mate! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Sweet  we share info and spots  jeffs great guy

We sure do rick! 

Thats why fishraider is a great resource to all. Rick and I often speak or text each other. What’s biting, current, water temp etc! Where are livies? And yes, we share spots too! That’s because our shared knowledge can set you up for a successful trip! 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, tyrone07 said:

That’s a cracker red, that is the fish I am chasing. Yep, it’s like when you fish float baits, the better fish definitely come well up off the bottom IMO

For sure. Best thing was the day before my mate got one at 86cm and gave it to us all night until I knocked this one on the head! Got to love Coffs...

On 6/11/2019 at 10:36 PM, Welster said:

What s great day on the water.  .  Scratchie has put so many raiders onto fish and is very generous with his knowledge. 

Hasn't he what! He'll help anyone he can get onto them. 

Good man Jeff, another Raider with some beautiful Port Stephens Snapper. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, garfield28 said:

Hasn't he what! He'll help anyone he can get onto them. 

Good man Jeff, another Raider with some beautiful Port Stephens Snapper. 

Why do you think I’ve invited him out tomorrow?! 😂 Actually, I was going anyway as I had a rare leave pass but I could use the company (and the knowledge)! 😎

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Why do you think I’ve invited him out tomorrow?! 😂 Actually, I was going anyway as I had a rare leave pass but I could use the company (and the knowledge)! 😎

Good Luck Baz, I'm sure you'll get a few with him on board. 

• Like 1